“Good location”

ProfilHotels Hotel Opera
Ranked #33 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Stayed for to nights with my son. The location is excellent - a few hundred meters from the railway station and the bus station. We booked a package with accommodation and the Gothenburg Pass through gothenburg.com.

When we arrived we got a room in the old part of the Hotel. The room was small with only one bed with 140 cm width - a bit to small for an adult with a child. The bathroom was old-fashioned.

Breakfast was OK, but not more than that. Plus for waffles! The breakfast was to small to accommodate all the guests so people were eating all over the lobby.

Staff was friendly and helpful.

Grand Hotel Opera states it is a four star Hotel. No way! - mostly three stars.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TeoandTea
There are newer reviews for ProfilHotels Hotel Opera

Reviewed 29 April 2013

I stayed for one night in February. I arrived about 9.30 a.m. and the very nice receptionist said that I had been upgraded to business class and my room was ready so I could check in straightaway instead of at 3.00 p.m. That was such a relief as it was freezing outside and I was able to have a rest in the warm room after an early start that day.

The breakfast buffet is until 10.00 a.m. so I asked if there was still time for me to have a breakfast and how much would it cost and the receptionist said I could go in for breakfast and no charge! I had a great breakfast, so much choice; meats, cheeses, teas and coffees, loads of different breads, waffles with fresh cream and jam, cereals, hot food, eggs, bacon, sausages. The room was small, yes, but I really liked it. It was at the back of the hotel with no view as such, but very clean, warm, comfortable with a flat screen TV and really nice and clean bathroom. The double bed was very comfortable.

The hotel is in an excellent location if you are flying in to Gothenburg City airport, the bus takes you right to the Central Station opposite the hotel. The Opera House is a short walk away at the Harbour and I was able to go to the Opera and get a last minute ticket for "Chess" which was great. The next day my train out of town wasn't until 5.00 p.m. and the staff were happy to let me wait around in the comfortable seating area where I had a peaceful time reading my book. I really enjoyed staying at this hotel. The only surprise was that the pool and sauna are not open all day and cost about £9 extra, so I didn't use. I got a good deal on the hotel tariff and it was well worth it.

Room Tip: The business class room at the back on floor 7 was small and quiet. I would not have wanted a small...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Best hotel I have stayed in. The reception staff are lovely, the rooms stylish and the food delicious, they even provide waffle making facilities at breakfast! I highly recommend! The lobby is gorgeous too and there is free wifi with no annoying password. Very happy and satisfied indeed!!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Ideal location by the bus/rail/tram station and just round the corner from the centre. Last minute booking got me a room the modern building – it was clean and comfortable and had full length windows - but it was tiny. Pleasant breakfast. I didn’t see any of the queues mentioned elsewhere. Would not object to staying here again – though if the price were right there are a lot of other hotels in the area that could be at least as good.

Room Tip: new wing is preferable
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Just stayed in this hotel for the first time. Very centrally located and comfortable. Nice rooms with an average breakfast but comfortable and will definitely stay again. Have to mention the staff, especially in the reception who are very helpful. Also the beds are extremely comfortable and had good nights sleep.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Well positioned hotel opposite railway station and bus terminal. Also adjoins huge shopping complex and virtually touching tram hub with routes in alll directions. Pleasant reception staff but restaurant was bursting at the seams and we overflowed into adjoining lounge. Clean and tidy.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank vincent12089
Reviewed 15 March 2013

This hotel has several issues that unfortunately would make me caution anyone to stay here. Gothenburg is a lovely city and there are many hotels where you can get more for your money.
1. Customer Service leaves a lot to desire. I arrived at the hotel with a booking that I made a long time in advance. I was informed that they were very full and therefore only had one of their less desired rooms available. After informing them that I had booked a long time ago, he agreed to give me a larger room. When I arrived in that room the windows were wide open (it was -7 and windy outside). I returned to the reception and he gave me yet another room. This room was in an old section, (you havet o take an industrial elevator to get to the room) This room was very cramped and it gave me a claustrophobic feeling. I returned and told him that I wanted to get out of my booking so I could change hotels. I was informed that I was locked into my booking for 2 nights. Then he acted as if he was going to do me a service and upgraded me to a room in the new wing. He wanted more money for this room, but offered me the upgrade for free for the first night. He informed me that he could not do more or the rest would come out of his paycheck..
2. Freezing rooms. When I came to the room it was 15.5 degrees and I could not figure out how to work the thermostat. I called and 45 minutes later a person came up with a portable heater. I asked him how the heating works. However, this person was not able to communicate in either Swedish nor English. The issue with cold rooms was something I heard several other guests comment on during my stay.
3. DIRTY! When I was going to take a shower I discovered a big blob of long hair mixed with soap and schampoo in the shower. Sickening! When I pulled back my sheets I also realized that the bottom sheet was not clean.
4. LOUD! Gothenburg is a windy city, that is nothing new! My room in the new wing was located on the 7th floor. On the roof above my room were flag poles. These flags made so much in the wind that it was impossible to get a full night’s sleep. I felt like I was sleeping in a factory with annoying and disturbing noice in the background. Even people I talked to on the phone while in the hotel room asked me what the loud noice was in the background. Maybe flagpoles are not necessary in a very windy city. Or is it more important to be seen than giving the guests a restful environment?
5. No hotel staff on the weekend. When I wanted to talk to a manager, I was informed that they do not work on the weekends. The hotel is run by the restaurant staff on Saturdays and Sundays. A large hotel in a major city has made a choice to not prioritize their guests by enjoying their weekends off!
6. I am not alone. After sharing my experiences with others during my stay here in Gothenburg I have heard others that have told me that customer service and cleanliness is an issue at this hotel.
7. Many of these things could have been dealt with if there was a sense of customer service at this hotel. They do not know how to make customers feel prioritized and they are very deffensive.
8. Compensation. The compensation I received for this experience was so ridiculous that it was more of an insult than a compensation.
There are many hotels in Gothenburgs, stay else where.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ulf L
YvetteGOT, Revenue Manager at ProfilHotels Hotel Opera, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Dear Ulf, we regret to learn about your terrible experience at our hotel. We understand that your complaints and issues were dealt with accordingly with the Manager on duty during your stay and that any misunderstandings has been sorted. We do hope you will consider Grand Hotel Opera for your next visit to Göteborg. Regards Yvette Apelstedt/Revenue Manager