“Friendly efficient staff, and lovely breakfast” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Spar Hotel Majorna

Spar Hotel Majorna
Ranked #19 of 68 Hotels in Gothenburg
Towcester, United Kingdom
“Friendly efficient staff, and lovely breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

The staff were very friendly and efficient. The room small, fairly utilitarian, but adequate and clean. Not very much hanging space, or drawers, which could be a problem if staying for longer than a couple of days. The bed was very comfortable. I would have expected separate shower gel, soap, shampoo rather than the all in one dispenser on the wall. The internet was easily accessable. The breakfast was excellent, with lots of choice, and topped up regularly, though couldn't find normal sugar for my cornflakes which was a pity.
We used the sauna, which was lovely considering the bitter weather, although it is rather odd being located in a room with a couple of chairs for relaxing and some exercise equipment. The staff gave us the key to get in, and turned the sauna on for us at reception, so remember to ask in advance of when you want to use it.
Location wise you are a shortish tram ride from the centre, although we walked it a couple of times. Lots of restaurants and bars nearby, though some close surprisingly early. We would definitely stay in again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynn T
TWibeck, Hotelldirektör at Spar Hotel Majorna, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear guest,

thank you for your very positive comments regarding your stay with us.

Welcome back!

Terese Wibeck

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Overall the standard of this hotel was very good. The staff were excellent - helpful and friendly. The breakfasts were aslo excellent. A plentiful supply of Swedish delicacies and international food that was topped up regularly as more guests came to eat. My bedroom was a good size as was the bathroom. Both very clean. The negative things were:
- A lack of cupboards/drawers to unpack your luggage. As I was staying a week on business I would have appreciated drawer space as most of my things had to stay in my suitcase.
- Lack of bathroom facilities. There was one container of soap/shower gel but it was not of the best quality and wouldn't foam up. I hadn't brought with me shower gel as I expected at least this would be available but after a couple of days I had to buy some as my skin was getting vey dry.
Apart from these small points I was very satisfied.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TWibeck, Hotelldirektör at Spar Hotel Majorna, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear guest,

thank you for your positive comments.

I will take your comments regarding the shower gel and discuss it within the team, maybe it is time for a change?

Welcome back

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Room is acceptable. What is not is the minibar is missing. Water only from the public net..... Restaurant not attractive. Air in the hotel is viced. Spa is poor. Price quite high compared to the service received. Position not too far from the centrum. Some nice place not so far to eat. Internet easily available for more than one device. Bill to be paied in advance. Temperature in the room ok. Noise from outside acceptable....

Stayed December 2013
Dear guest,

thank you for your review.
We do not offer minibars in our rooms, our largest rooms have a minifridge that the guest can fill up with whatever he/she wants. We do not offer a spa, we have an excersise rooms with gym eguipment and a sauna, so if you were expecting a spa I can understand you were dissapointed.
In our rooms we offer our guests tap water, since Sweden has one of the best tap waters in the world and for environmental purposes. However in our bar we also offer bottled mineral water from a Swedish producer.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We were met at Spar Hotel by a very friendly staff and very Swedish design. The room was clean and comfortable, as was the bathroom. The bed was super comfy, as well. The rooms are not huge as many Americans might be used to, but are very functional and make good use of the tight space, as the Swedish are known for. The hotel is a small 15 minute tram ride to the City Center where most of the action stems from. With the reasonable rate on the room, we were more than happy to make the short tram ride, which ran every 5 minutes or so. The complimentary breakfast was phenomenal and only added to the value. The location provided a nice base camp away from all of the noise and hustle-bustle of the City Center. Overall, Spar Hotel made our stay in Gothenburg a welcome and lovely one.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

I stayed in this hotel in end October 2013. This hotel is clean but as my title suggests, it's sparse.

Sparse - no toiletries provided. The basics like toothbrush, toothpaste, shaver were omitted.
Sparse - no complimentary room slippers provided.
Sparse - no cupboard, no safe provided only 3 hangers were supplied

The room is incredibly small and the bed just goes with the size of the room. The bed was so small that I was afraid that I might fall off it while sleeping. The room was clean but how hard is it to clean such a small room? But hey, I can't complain or expect much for the money I paid right?

Breakfast hours officially start at 630am but from 5am onwards, you can proceed to have it but the choice would be limited. The food is good and I enjoyed the generous choices of bread available.

There is a gym on the top floor but the equipment is nothing to shout about. One threadmill, one exercise bike, couple of weights. There is also a sauna in the gym. What irritated me was the contradicting instructions provided by the different staff manning the reception. When I checked in, I was told that the gym was opened 24 hours and I needed a card programmed to unlock it. The next morning around 430am, (I couldn't sleep because of jet lag) I went down to request for a card to access the gym. I was told it only opened at 630am. Ok fine, I thought to myself. Later I found out from another guest that the gym is actually opened 24 hours and I do not need a special access card to enter the gym. So I tried my luck on my 2nd morning at 530am. True enough, the gym could be accessed with my room card. So different stories from different receiptionists. I wasted one morning of exercise.

There are some pubs and restaurants around the area. The tram station is only about 200m away from the hotel. You can hop on it and in 20 plus mins, you would be at the city centre.

Stay in this hotel if you are one that expect no frills or if you are on a budget.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TWibeck, Hotelldirektör at Spar Hotel Majorna, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear guest,

thank you for your review on your stay with us.

We have recently changed the opening hours of our gym and it seems not all staff members have been informed. I am truly sorry for the inconvenience this caused you. The gym is open daily from 07:00-23:00, and you use your roomkey to get in.
Spar Hotel is a budget hotel and in our product we do not offer toiletries or slippers in all rooms, but we have a few items available complimentary at the reception, and we are more than happy to provide this for guests who wish to have it.
We have 6 different roomtypes in the hotel so for your next visit I hope we can offer you a larger room.
Welcome back to Spar Hotel,

Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

The Spar Hotel Majorna is in a part of town that used to be where the maritime workers lived and is now a fashionable place to live. We liked being away from the business of the old town tourist area but we still weren't more than 15 mins away from the city centre by tram. The Maritime Museum is just up the road and there was a supermarket and a few restaurants within easy walking distance.

To get there from the central station take tram 11 and get off at Stigbergstorget (9 stops from the central station) or trams 3 or 9 and get off at Chapmanstorget (11 stops from the central station).

The front desk were friendly and generous with maps and tips on where to go.

The room was smallish but big enough or a few days. It was a little worn and dated but not badly so.

We loved the breakfast which had a wide variety of Swedish breakfast foods, including some gluten free. There were eggs and bacon, lots of types of bread and plenty of cold meats, plus a waffle maker and batter.

They had thoughtfully even allocated space in the children's play room with a mini buffet with a few child friendly breakfast choices. There were tables in the play room for parents to eat at and this play room was right next door to the main dining room. I imagine this would be a very relaxing way to start the day if you had small children.

Room Tip: Swedish buildings are built to withstand long, cold winters and can get a bit warm in summer. Be pre...