“World class in Gothenburg”
Review of Clarion Hotel Post

Clarion Hotel Post
Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Reviewed 25 October 2012

This is a quite newly opened hotel in Gothenburg (opened last spring) after a total renovation in the old main post office building of the town - also adding a new high rise building segment for the majority of the actual rooms. The hotel is smack in the midle of the town just a few steps away from i.e the main railway station, the main bus station and the larg indoor shopping area Nordstan.
The rooms are quite large, with modern furniture and stylish design. The common areas are situated mainly in the old postal office building parts and have a lot of Ex-postal design elements.
The food served in the restaurant is tasteful, so is the breakfast but be aware that there may be quite crowd at breakfast if the large arrangements going on at the hotel.
The restaurant seems quite popular and both the upstairs library bar and the downstairs common bar seems to be one of the "in-places" of the town and quite crowded. In the summer the large outside terrace bars must be very nice.
All-in-all: After two days there last weekend it shows that world class size, service and style has come to Gothenburg.
PS: Please be aware that if there are large arrangements going on at the hotels, a common "single" guest may be restricted to certain areas as some areas may be reserved for these large arrangements (i.e the winter garden).

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Lars O, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Post, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Dear Geir ,
Thank you for your excellent review. Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay even though our breakfast restaurant were a little crowded. We just opened a new restaurant with top reviews (5 out of 5 in Metro ) Vrå a month ago so if you pass by again you might try some Japanese’s-Swedish delicacies .

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any questions,

Lars Olemyr
Lars.olemyr@choice.se

There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel Post

Reviewed 10 October 2012

This hotel has a proper quality feel, and good theme being based on the old post office building. There are some nice touches, with art and post boxes scattered about.

The room was on the small side, but high specification. There was space for everything and the wifi was fast.

The only real glitch was the shower - it was too good! - the power of the nozzle means that it falls of the wall! I soon learned though.

Also the restaurant is good and packed with locals so be sure to book a table - preferably when you book the room. I didn't manage to get in there in 4 nights on my last trip.

I am looking forward to my return visit.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor with view of the square.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Lars O, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Post, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2012

Dear Sir / Mme
Thank you for your nice review . Happy to hear that to hear that you liked our restaurant. And pleas do not hesitate to contact me next time you pass by Gothenburg .
Lars

Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed here for a week on business, we received a warm welcome and after a mix up with the room Rception were very helpful and quickly put it right. Amazing view of the city pretty much sold this room!

The room: although relatively small it has an amazing tv which is perfect to relax after a long days work. Comfy beds, room is clean and always tidied by cleaning staff. Our room had a tub which was lovely, the shower had good pressure also.

The breakfast: first day the "hot breakfast" was in fact cold, bacon was like rubber & sausages had no taste. Didn't even have any mushrooms for a fried breakfast. On weekends - good luck, you won't get a table & it's like chaos...wouldn't recommend it!

The hotel: the Internet palarva is a joke, it logs you out of your device every time you switch it off and you have to get these fiddly pieces of pager with the log in details which only active for 24 hours!
The swimming pool was also a bit of a joke, you have to request to go into it and then when I did, i released the was no roof lol! In a cold, rainy country this was surely an over sight!

Overall - a nice hotel but definitely for more business guests than tourists

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Lars O, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Post, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

Thank you for your review .

Just like to inform you that we just a couple of days ago built a roof over our top floor swimming pool area so that you´re able to to seek cover during a rainy day. We also have a breakfast chef who offers a great variety of breakfast-delicacies cocked as you wait and served directly from the pan .

Please do not hesitate to contact me next time you are in Gothenburg.

Lars

Reviewed 1 October 2012

I've stayed here 5 times or so for recent work trips. I have yet to request they stop booking Clarion Post because I didn't want to trouble the company I work for and wanted to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt but actually it's becoming beyond a joke. Every time I stay here I add a few more incidents onto my many grievances which I shall now list:

1. You will never be able to get to front desk without a 10 minute queue. Even if there is only one person ahead of you they'll ensure they only have one receptionist. Waiting in line I see many staff walk out the staff room behind the desk and straight past me wafting an air of nonchalance as they strut by.

2. All windows are bolted shut... Like a prison. Health and safety? Yes, so maybe this isn't there fault but...

3. Having asked for a fan on multiple occasions (there is zero circulation) they either:
a) Shrug and say they are all being used
b) Say they'll bring one and then don't.

Having phoned to remind them the women on the other end an hour later she actually said "Ok, Ok, Ok, I didn't know. I heard you."

4. Logging onto the wireless network is the most laborious password heavy process which invariably doesn't work. At one point I went down to reception to ask if their wifi was having problems as my phone was rejecting their stupid system. After the standard 10 minute queue (oh and they literally wouldn't dream of saying 'sorry to keep you waiting') the man told me the Internet was fine because no other guests had complained. After persisting and convincing him it was worth checking he told me he needed the engineer who arrives tomorrow. Persisting further I asked him to check his phone to which he discovered it WAS indeed down 'Oh well, it should fix itself in the next few days', he said. This story goes on... I was told multiple times 'just use the computers in the lobby'. I replied multiple times I wanted to Skype my family in my room.

5. Small rooms.

6. Overpriced everything.

7. The fact that the hotel is full to bursting with locals (who knows why) so guests are treated like 2nd class citizens.

8. They have ridiculous glass firedoors everywhere (hence the lack of circulation).

9. Breakfast room is miles too small, full to bursting and staff will walk into you unless you move out the way for them.

10. The shower holders are too weak. When I turn the water off the pressure pops the shower out of the holder and has whacked me on the head a few times (admittedly I did find this quite funny and the second time I should have learnt! :))

In conclusion, I'd suggest staying somewhere else - Radisson, Avalon, Elite Plaza... At all of the above you'll be getting a more conscientious, personable hotel where the staff actually give a [--].

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank AndrewM1234
Lars O, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Post, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Dear sir ,
So sorry to hear that your Hotel experience was not according to our standards. Our most important mission is providing our guest´s with proper service which means short an swift check-out, good ventilation, whifi and breakfast and last but not least a conscientious and helpful staff.

Our understanding is that we are able to live up to our guest´s expectations of high quality and service level . But this time we seem to have failed. Feed back is important to us and we would like to show you that we can deliver . So if you have the possibility we would be happy if you could contact us and tell us more.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

This is my first visit to Clarion Hotel Post in Gothenburg. The hotel is very close to the central station which was really nice, since the weather wasn't that good on arrival day. The old postal service building has a really cool exterior, mixing the 1930's design with the newly added block of rooms on the courtyard. Awesome. (The building is also beautifully lit during night time).

The front desk staff is very service minded, and they seems to work efficiently, since the queue did disappear quite quickly. The information upon arrival is helpful; they tell you how to find your room, where the breakfast is served, that there's a restaurant, how to gain access to the rooftop pool and the spa/beauty center.

The room itself was quite small, but everything was clean and tidy. Got a double room facing the inner courtyard of the building, which is basically a roof. Pro's and con's of course: The room was really quiet, since no cars or trams were heard, but the view was quite boring on the other hand. Got a small double bed with really nice large pillows. The room was equipped with TV (an Android TV actually) and minibar, but no safe. Wifi coupons were handed to us upon check in. Bathroom had shower, no bathtub, but the shower was really great! Remember to bring your toothbrush because it's really expensive to buy at the front desk. (Other hotels, such as Radisson Blu, give toothbrush kits for free, this doesn't.)

During our stay we did try the restaurant Norda which is situated inside the hotel, above the lobby. It's really worth the money, but be aware that booking a table is almost mandatory, since they often are sold out. Since we couldn't get a table Saturday evening, we decided to stay on the room and order room service. That is an excellent alternative, since the menu is the same as for the Norda restaurant, made by the chefs working there.

Overall, this hotel is really worth staying at, it has a high service level and the rooms are comfortable. There seems to be events in the hotel lobby every now and then, so the sound level can be quite high, but living on fifth floor in the main building, kept the noise away. Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inner courtyard are the most quiet ones. Try to get a room on the higher floors in...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Lars O, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Post, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Thank you for your nice review. Happy to hear that you liked our Hotel together with our staff.
Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any questions or if it is anything we could help you with next time yo´ll visit Göteborg.

Best regards ,

Lars Olemyr

Reviewed 19 September 2012

I had heard a lot about this hotel, so was looking forward to staying here. It didn't particularly feel my sort of thing when I walked in - a bit too dark and designer-ish for my liking. But the reception staff were pleasant and efficient.

I really liked my room. It felt like an attic room, and for such a large hotel, felt like quite a haven at the end of each day - I looked forward to going back there. The bed was comfortable and it was tastefully decorated.

On the downside, room service was astronomically expensive - when I saw the price of a sandwich (given the fee they charge to bring it up to the room), my jaw dropped and I decided I would be heading outside the hotel to eat. There was also a strange banging noise when I ran the bathroom taps in the morning, which made me wonder if there was a problem with the plumbing, if other people in the adjoining rooms could hear it, and if I would be causing a disturbance to others by getting ready so early.

Overall, I'm glad I experienced the hotel, but I wouldn't fall over myself to stay here again given the prices.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Kim W, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Post, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2012

Hi, this kind of review is always so appreciated because we can the do something about this and see if we can find the problem that you experienced. Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay in general.

Hope to see you in Gothenburg again!

Best Regards
Kim Wennerström

Reviewed 16 September 2012

Got here yesterday for a 4 day stay of an 8 day European multi-city business trip. The Clarion Post hotel looks fantastic on the outside and in the lobby.
Aesthetically, it's a contemporary design and art showcase.
However, it’s functionally is totally defective in detail and efficiency!

I walked into a bleak, dark room, the size of a closet on the 4th floor looking into a bleaker inner court. No bath or bidet, no storage, (so no place to unpack nor to place suitcases), no bathrobe or slippers.
Terribly disappointed, sinking feeling, couldn't believe that this was happening at some 8000 SEK (1200$approx) for 4 nights.
Spoke to the front desk and got moved up to the 9th floor to a slightly larger room with a view but still no place to hang clothes or unpack and NO SAFE. Bathroom has no bath or bidet and the shower is not fully enclosed so water galore on the floor. Room was freezing and temperature wouldn’t go over 22C. And for a business traveller, there is no work space, as my luggage is on the chair and the minimalist desk space is used for my equipment and documents.
Needing to dress for 2 different climates I packed accordingly, as I mistakenly assumed that given the 5 star rating and the price, the rooms would be a ‘tad’ better appointed and equipped. The staff at the reception however, maintained that’s what you get for a standard booking although my office did not see a category option during the online booking procedure. An upgrade to a superior room could be possible for an extra 200SEK (30$) per night but only as of tonight as the hotel was full. Bathrobes and slippers are available but for an extra 75SEK ($11.50) per robe per night. To take the sublime to the ridiculous, I subsequently found out that the superior comes with just the robe, for slippers you have to go to the deluxe category!

I guess that the 5 star experience begins at the deluxe level and that standard is just an overpriced 3 star with a trendy lobby!
Is it wishful thinking that the hotel star rating system come with a guarantee of a standard of service and not an opening gambit of unwrapping and decoding euphemisms for ‘less is more’?

I await my upgrade with bated breath!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank LollyMontreal

Hi, thank you for taking your time to write this and letting us know how your last experience was here at Clarion Hotel Post. It´s so important that we get this information.
The rooms are a bit different because we had to adapt to the old building.

Hope to see you in Gothenburg again

Best Regards