“Fabulous location and fantastic nice!”
Review of Clarion Hotel Post

Clarion Hotel Post
Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The hotel is situated next to the Centralstation at Drottningstorget in the middle of Göteborg. Its fantastic nice and new, the rooms are so clean and a lot of space. The bed is perfect size and so nice. I had both bathtub and shower and separate toilet, couldn't be better.

The breakfast had a lot to choose from and fresh and nice things. If you will stay in Göteborg some night, don't hesitate to book this hotel!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Lars O, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Post, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Thank you for your review. Especially pleased over the positive s remarks about our cleanleness and rooms are much appreciated. Rest assured that we will share your kind words with our entire Clarion Hotel Post team.

Please contact med next time you´ll visit us. It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Warm regards,
Lars.olemyr@choice.se

Write a ReviewReviews (3,421)

Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

I think this is the biggest an "wanna-be" best hotel in Gothenburg. I've stayed her a few times, and there is definitely room for improvement. The question is; to they want to change what I consider their biggest challenge - NOIS. Shouldn't be to difficult, cause most of it is caused by them selves, and particularly on Fridays Shen they to their "After Work" with DJ and to many drunk people in the bar. I arrived late and was net by an army of drunk 20 year old's in mini skirts and to slim jeans. Do maybe I've chosen the wrong hotel. After giving the friendly and stressed guy in the reception a hard time and changing room twice, I decided to watch a movie and wait for the music to stop. By the way, my advice is to wear swimming costumes upon arrival to not drawn when finding your way through all the spilled drinks and ice cubes in the elevator and hallways. Anyway, at 2 am it was finale quiet, and I could sleep til 7 am. That's when the preschool opens on the next floor...

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Harald S
Lars O, Guest Relation Manager at Clarion Hotel Post, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Harald,
Thank you for your feedback .
We apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay us at Clarion Hotel Post. Your views and thoughts are vital to us, and will be presented to the management at Post in order to improve our services. Weekend's in November and December are often a very busy. Especially the area around the Bar´s full of activity . However our Hotel room´s are quiet and should not leak any sound from bar and restaurang.

We do hope we have not permanently tarnished your impression of Clarion Hotel Post and that we will be able to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Silky and smooth in design. Checked in and you end up in a lift look a like line
Rooms elegant in a modern way, small and somewhat irritating without a closet. Hard to relish body soap in a dispenser on the wall, even though the eco friendly thought. Figure out all the electronic devices - keyboard for TV- internet without a manual may take longer than your planned stay.If you stay on a Thursday - - Saturday, pls give Vrå a chance, super sushi. Breakfast room packed, found a nice coffea house close by.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Lars O, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Post, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Happy to hear that you enjoyed your meal at our Vrå restaurant . It is truly a magnificent dinner experience. Our breakfast room could at times be a bit crowded especially between 10 – 10 :30 weekends . But you should of course be able to find room enough to enjoy your breakfast in peace. If you have the possibility you could always book our brunch. Starts at 12:00 and includes served breakfast together with a delicious dessert menu created by the best pastry chef in Sweden Patrik Fredriksson .

lars.olemyr@choice.se

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Let me start by saying that, since it opened, the Clarion Hotel Post has always been my hotel whenever I stay in Göteborg. I just love it! It was very, very well renovated from the old Post building, it has a truly wonderful design and atmosphere, the rooms are comfortable enough, the staff is very friendly, and it’s usually a pleasure to stay there.
It’s been great… hmmm, so far…
And it's precisely because I love this hotel that I felt like writing such a long review about it.

The problem I start to have is that the hotel seems to “disperse” itself more and more into a lot of activities and events that puts the fact of being a hotel, and a five star high level one, in serious… let’s say… doubt.

So yes, we can find very cool and hip all the after work meetings, all the parties, all the DJ’s and music events, but… are this kind of things what you really want and expect from a hotel?

There are a lot of issues starting to come round this:
Sometimes you want to relax and just have a drink at the hotel bar or lounge… well, most of the times... impossible! There are crowds and crowds of people (who are not staying at the hotel) who came for some “cool” event. Or at night the place has turned into some kind of “nightclub”. It’s not the first time I ran into lots of totally drunk people. One time there was even a man stripping off his shirt and throwing it to the ground in front of the bar counter while other people and the bar staff were cheering…
Ah, Clarion… why do you seem to think that being drunk is “cool”?!

Talking about the bar... the staff there seem to think as themselves, more and more, as some kind of superstars that are just doing the hotel guests a favour in handling them a drink. I’ve been to many, many five star hotels and never saw this kind of behaviour.
And even if there’s not a “hip” event going on, often you still can’t find a place to sit, as there are so many people (not guests) coming in just to “hang out”.

The same happens with the restaurant – you stay at the hotel but you simply can’t have a meal there because it’s always booked by other people other than guests.

And what to say about all the parties…?
Yes, it’s nice for a hotel to have a bit of “dynamic”, to feel lively, not a dull "dead old place", and I really, really love a bit of that, but… I think there are limits and I feel the Clarion somehow started to cross them.
First of all a hotel is for its guests. It’s not mainly a Bar or a Congress Hall or some kind of “nightclub”. Or, if anyhow, the hotel want to have this kind of activities, then they should be located in a place that doesn’t disturb the guests. And the Clarion doesn’t take this in consideration. Quite the opposite; lately they seem keen to “throw” it all at the guest face. Especially the “bar” and the “party nightclub mood”.

A hotel should prioritize its guests and their needs, their well being, and at the present the Clarion isn’t doing so. They are prioritizing who they think are Göteborg hip important people, not the hotel guests.
Maybe that’s very good for the city - and in that sense I’m happy as I love Göteborg - but certainly it’s not good for the hotel guests.

And then... then what happens? What follows? Well, you start to have those signs, that “lack of attention” and control over the “hotel component” that some people are already talking about:
Chaos at the breakfast area, with not enough tables for the guests and no one to clean the tables (so you have either to eat next to the leftovers of the previous guest or to remove yourself the plates and glasses! Really?! In a five star hotel?!) In the rooms you start to find damaged things, broken lamps and such, rooms not so clean, empty bottles in the room minibar (as other guests already reviewed here), glasses and other “not so pleasant things” under the beds. Better left unsaid…
I guess that these days the hotel management thinks it’s more important to spend money booking a lot of cool DJ's and throwing a lot of parties than to invest, for example, in having more staff (and space) to serve the guests a proper breakfast in a proper place, or even to think of taking to a higher level their comfort.
Just the other day I received a newsletter from another hotel chain, who was proudly announcing that they had managed to improve their services by doing a contract with Face Stockholm to be their new toiletries supplier. This is only an example – even a small one – of how a hotel is thinking about their guests. Prioritizing their well being, investing in them, making them feel more and more comfortable, so they will feel like returning and not even considering staying somewhere else.
Talking about toiletries… how ridiculous and meager they are at the Clarion Post compared to other five star hotels… or even some four star ones.

So, on the other hand, from Clarion Post, recently, what I hear is almost only, over and over, the announcing of parties and events.
I wish I could understand what they’re trying to do. I mean, if I want to go to a party or if I want to dance and drink, I don’t need a hotel for that. There are appropriated places for that.
And something that always puzzled me - I don’t know why people seem to think we need to have a DJ performing everywhere and all the time! For God’s sake! One of these days we’ll have a DJ performing at a supermarket or at a book store! Or we’ll be doing check-in at the hotel and we’ll have a DJ at the front desk to make our check-in “cool”. C’mon, I absolutely love music, I really do, but let’s enjoy some peace and quiet also. There are places and times for everything.

The sign of this “control loss” and “quality loss” that people start to talk about is well shown in the recent apologies statement on the hotel Facebook official page, by no less than Mr. Blomberg, the CEO of Clarion Post Hotel, regarding the “Port du Soleil event” on the first days of November. And also the removal of some photos of that event.
This even though Mr. Blomberg only apologizes for “five minutes” of the event. All the “excess” during the rest of the time seem to be ok for him. He doesn’t understand that “all” was too much, not just “those” five minutes. That recently “all” is being too much. That they are going too far and away from what their business should be. That they are losing control.
There’s even some talk about all this at Göteborg’s press, who is reporting the “lack of taste” of it all, some saying – and I quote: “It all reminded more of a Miss Wet T-shirt contest in Burgas than a luxury hotel in Göteborg”. And questioning how come a five star hotel is connected to this kind of things. They even speak of “authorities’ investigation” on the subject of – and I quote again: “Additionally served excessive amounts of alcohol, which definitely makes it, and perhaps even jeopardize Clarion Post's alcohol licensing”. And also - and I quote again: “We do not raise an eyebrow over strip dancing as long as it is done in fairly orderly and voluntary forms in an establishment that is designed for just that. Clarion Post Hotel is hardly such, even if you begin to wonder”.
I have to say that I completely agree with this. Things should be done in establishments appropriately designed for it and in fairly orderly and voluntary forms. And the Clarion doesn’t seem to understand this anymore.

I think all of these recent “problems” speak for themselves, and it’s such a pity to witness all that. I wish I could understand how come the Management came to think that having a bunch of drunken people around is “cool”, how come they came to think that the function of a hotel is throwing parties, how come… well, how come everything!
And the problem is that with things going like this, yes, we begin to wonder a lot of things about the Clarion Post…

However, I still have faith in the Clarion Post. It’s still my hotel of choice in Göteborg, and it would be a terrible shame to see such a so beautiful place to be “ruined”.
But I really think that the Clarion Post management have to decide, and quickly, what kind of business they want to run – a high level five star Hotel (as we were used to), a “oh, I’m so cool” Bar with lots of drunken people, or a kind of a “nightclub”. Or even… some kind of a… heh… Circus?

Because it’s not possible to be all this at the same time.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Lars O, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Post, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your top mark and long comprehensive review of The Clarion Hotel Post following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you love the hotel and that you like the way we have renovated and refurbished the building. We are very proud of our little gem.

I am also pleased that you enjoyed our comfortable rooms, that you found the staff to be friendly helpful, professional and that you feel that it is “usually a pleasure“ to stay here. But of course we regret to hear that your stay at our hotel this time, did not fulfill your expectations. We feel sorry for that.

Opinions like yours are important to us and we have studied the negative yet constructive feedback and again we thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. We understand that you are disappointed by the behavior of our Bar staff. I can assure you it is unintentionally. Bar tenders should provide proper service focusing on our guest and ensure a nice warm atmosphere without to much disturbance from other guests. Our restaurants could at times be quite busy but Hotel guests should always be prioritized.

The event held at Post was loud and was booked a long time in advance by an external event -company. A musical show that takes place 2 times per year. Next time the event is schedule is in spring 2014. If we will be hosting this event next year I will make the necessary arrangement to ensure that all guests are pleased with there accommodation and as few guests as possible will be disturbed. I also like to take the opportunity to inform you that we do invest in our guests. Even though we have occasional parties we do our upmost to guarantee that all our guest are provided with the best service with a blissful Hotel experience. We do also pride ourselves in keeping the product up to date and investing and improving our Hotel product and thus making our hotel guests feel more and more comfortable .

The amenities that we are using are from Kerstin Florian a well known producer. And as I understand our guests are very pleased with these products. Please let me now next time and I will supply you with a sample.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of looking after you on a future visit to Göteborg and please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if we can be of any further assistance.

Warm regards,
Fredrik T Blomberg
fredrik.t.blomberg@choice.se /General Manager

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I stayed in this hotel in September 2013 while I had business meetings south of Goteborg. This matters in my review as I had a car rental and needed to drive in and out of the city each day.

What I liked about the hotel:
- Gorgeous Building. Old Post Office (thus the name). You enter and it looks so trendy. It is a hot spot for locals to come dine and drink.
- Great location: Walking distance to a mall, the river, the botanical gardens. Very central
- This is much nicer than any Clarion you will find. It seems that all the hotels around (Best Western etc) took over nicer hotels and put their names on it. Not your standard hotels.
- Roof top heated pool and patio: Simply gorgeous and great views.
- Fantastic Buffet Breakfast, and I mean FANTASTIC. Abundant choices of crepes, pastries, breads etc.

What I did not like:
- This is an expensive hotel hosting many events, conferences. For the price we got a room that was so small there was not even a closet to put clothes in. I had to go back to the check-in counter and pay extra to upgrade to a bigger room. I am used to small rooms in cities like Paris or Tokyo, but this is just Goteborg. Was not happy with having to relocate etc.
- It is so popular with locals and so packed with conferences that you cannot get any seat at any of the restaurants in this hotel, even if you call the day before. That is ridiculous. We had to walk to the mall where every dining places seems to close early.
- This place is just crowded in general, the buffet breakfast (See above) is so popular it becomes almost impossible to find a seat.
- If like me you have a car, this will not be a fun trip! They have a deal with the parking lot across the plaza in the mall. Not only you have to walk a lot to get there, but it is shared with the mall patrons, meaning crowded and so hard to get to. Driving around this area is complete chaos! I had a GPS and got lost a million times in one way streets, roundabouts etc.. In a week stay I don't think i had one day without getting lost once. This hotel is NOT meant for people with cars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a King Bed on the Botanical Gardens / River side.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Jean-Francois
Thank you for your long and extensive review. Love to read that you liked the gorgeous building, roof-top pool with the view and our wonderful breakfast buffet. A bit surprising that we could not find you a table. Our hotel guest are usually prioritized and we should be able to provide most of our Hotel guests with a dinner table.
Next time you visit us just leave the car- keys in the reception and we will take care of car for you.

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

The style of the hotel is interesting and the rooms are fine. The service at the restaurant and the bar is shocking and we were disappointed that the swimming pool was closed during out visit. The hotel is fairly central and it could be great if the few issues are ironed out.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Lars O, Public Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Post, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Many thanks for your review words following your recent stay at The Clarion Hotel Post. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed our room and the style of the hotel. We apologize however that we did not meet your service expectations during your stay us at Clarion Hotel Post. Your views and thoughts are vital to us, and will be presented to the management at Post in order to improve our services.

Pleas do contact med if you are on your way to Göteborg again and I promise you that we will take care of you the best way we can .

My kindest regards,

Reviewed 2 November 2013

I liked this hotel, but wanted to really like it. Staying just one night on a business trip, it had everything needed, and was centrally located. The hotel is very welcoming and the reception staff friendly and efficient.

The room was a good size, but it felt a little that it was designed by someone who thought they knew what a topnotch room should be like, rather than someone who knew how to design a topnotch room. Just little niggles, like: no plug in the sink, no shelf space, hanging rail exceedingly high up in the cupboard, a folding bed stored in the corner of the room, a slightly broken light switch next to the bed and a rather questionable heating system (maybe it didn't work, maybe I didn't understand it). Yeah, I know, a list of real 'first world problems' but still, this wasn't a cheap hotel.

That said, the desk working space was excellent, the internet connection was rock solid and the bed was extremely comfortable. So, yes, room was good.

Breakfast was good, so I think maybe I was just a little unlucky with the room, and that stops this being a 'very good' ranking. All-in-all, I would choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank terrycjones
Lars O, Guest relation Manager at Clarion Hotel Post, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Terrycjones,

Thank you for your long comprehensive review of The Clarion Hotel Post following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you received a warm welcome and that our staff are perceived as friendly and efficient. and that you rooms were extremely comfortable. Our rooms shall be equipped with the sink plug and light switches should not be “lightly broken “. Your views and thoughts are vital to us, and will be presented to the management at Post in order to improve our services.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact med then.

lars.olemyr@choice.se