“Stop over on our way to & from Norway”

Best Western Tidbloms Hotel
Ranked #45 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We decided to stay at this hotel as it was near to the main motorway for ease of access while on our tour of Norway, travelling through Sweden & Denmark. It was a little difficult to find at first, and when we arrived we were told that the restaurant was not open, so decided to eat in the pub. There was not an English translated menu, but with assistance from the waitress we were able to make our selection. The food was ok, but nothing special. The hotel rooms are clean but not spacious, but as all we wanted was somewhere to sleep and wash, it was fine.
On our return trip we had booked two double rooms again, only to be told that the bathroom in one room was broken, so we were offered the tower room on the 4th floor which did not have a bathroom in the room, but we were offered the toilet next to the room. This was ok, as we really had no other choice as the hotel was fully booked. The hotel gave a discount for this in convenience which was fine. However when the lovely girl on reception brought a private notice for this toilet, she offered my mother in law a free evening meal, which was a nice gesture. The receptionist - Maria is a real credit to this hotel, she checked us in both times and was efficient, polite and very friendly. She seemed genuinely upset that she had had to change our booking. However the same can not be said for the waitress in the pub, we had decided to have a drink before our evening meal and had taken a table in the bar, only to told we had to move to make way for a local pub quiz. Her abrupt manner in which she demanded that we move was very odd, however it could have been a language barrier issue. A point to note if you do not want your hotel guests to sit in your public bar area and take a table, put a reserved sign on it! Once again the food was ok. The bar man who looked after us both nights is also a credit to this hotel, it's just a shame she doesn't have the other members of staffs attitude to customers.
All in all this hotel is ok for a stop over.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank FamilyH0808

Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed a night here due to location close to family we were visiting. It is old school Scandinavian hotel - clean, well kept, slightly old fashioned but charming. Low lights were the beds: far too soft, and the service: the family room we had booked was unable to be used due to a problem with the bathroom, and it was a bit of a job trying to get back the difference in price between that room and the double we were given instead. It was put right in the end but its the kind of thing you never expect a chain to quibble about.
Highlight was definitely the breakfast - you normally find buffet breakfasts are good over here but this was particularly nice.
The hotel has a pub/restaurant on the ground floor with a good selection of beers, and a terrific and tasty menu with generous portions. I'd definitely recommend eating there if you were in the area.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank bignorm_qc
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This hotel is clean and fresh. Rooms are quite small, but it worked fine for a couple of nights.

Location could be better, but it's still very easy to go into town.

I enjoyed the breakfast buffé and thought the restaurant was fresh as well.

It was pretty avarage for a Swedish hotel and I might come back next time i visit my favorite city.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Nice clean hotel, rooms a little basic but comfortable, good base for exploring the area and friendly staff.

I have stayed here a couple of times for work and found it a nice firendly place particularly travelling a a women alone

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I stayed there for 3 nights and the room really smells! Besides the weird smell, the room itself wasn't too bad. Quite small but like any other Gothenburg hotel, it feels clean. I bought the package with parking including but at first staff says it's not and then after I insisted them to check again (It was the only reason why I chose to stay there at the first place), they said ok now they see it. I parked right outside the door and I asked the front desk that I was parking outside and if I need a pass on my windshield because I could see that there was a ticket machine next to it. As a foreigner to the country, I always make sure it is done by the book. The front desk staff waved and said no. Of course, I got a ticket the next day and now the front desk said oh you have to move your car somewhere else our parking is not here. They insisted that they gave me the direction to the hotel parking but if they did why wouldn't I move my car already? When I checked out, the front desk told me that they were sorry about the ticket so they gave me a discount on the third night but they lied yet again. I booked all three nights from my company travel website and I booked the three nights in different time, hence the different rate. It was the same rate as I booked it. No discount whatsoever. I mean, come on!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Kat C
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Rooms here are nice by European standards. Decent size work area but the bathrooms are a bit on the small size. Staff is extremely helpful and friendly offering local directions and dining recommendations. There is a gastropub on site. Decent buffet breakfast which is included. Food and drink are quite good which is helpful because there is not much else close by.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Cliff B
Reviewed 3 March 2013

This cosy hotel was perfect for our weekend stay. Located 10 minutes tram ride away from city centre on tramline number 1, it is only a few minutes walk to the tram stop. Our double room with ensuite bathroom was well sized with TV. The staff were very helpful and friendly, they provided maps and were keen to help with any queries we had. There is an unusual bar on the ground floor which is well stocked and where breakfast is served in the morning and many different beers can be tried in the evening! The breakfast selection was very good and it was a filling, tasty way to start the day.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family