“Situated over the train station but AMAZINGLY QUIET!~”
Review of First Hotel G

First Hotel G
Ranked #17 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Reviewed 13 December 2013

When I say you can hear a pin drop....I am not joking! When you enter the hotel lobby and take the escalator to the reception desk it appears the hotel is crowded with people everywhere. There is a train station just below the reception area but as you cross over the train station and walk to the elevators you can smell the wonderful aroma of the spa located within the hotel. The glass wall elevator reminds you of what you close to escaping - stress, sense of urgency etc.

The long hallway seems a bit strange with pathways leading to longer hallways filled with rooms. The interior facing rooms concered me but as I opened my room door I was amazed as the door closed behind me. SILENCE! Not a single noise....The room was beautifully decorated and the bed linens swallowed me! I pulled the window curtains to avoid the neighbors and there was also a heavier curtain as well. The lighting was calming. The bathroom has heated towel racks and heated floors. The room was bright and super clean! The ameneties were plentiful. I can't think of another place where I can actually say, this was probably the best sleep I have ever had.

Breakfast had lots to choose from as well. I will be sure to use this hotel again and again for my stay in Gothenburg. It is also located close to the shopping mall and places for dining. Would highly recommend to others!!!

Room Tip: You may prefer to ask for a room with an exterior view otherwise you will look at your neighbors win...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for First Hotel G

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Nice
Comfortable
Enough space in the room
Clean quiet
Hospitality
Good breakfast
Always ready coffe because There's train station at the basement
City hotel
Very close to shopping Centre
Bus station also five minutes

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for the second time. It´s very well located, near (above) the Central Train Station. It´s very close to the main Shopping Mall (Nordstan), where you find a lot of stuff to buy and also places to eat.
The rooms are very nice and clean. I could sleep very well during the 2 weeks I stayed there.

I recomment this Hotel for the ones travelling to Gothenburg.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is my favourite place to stay when I'm working in Gothenburg. Big enough to have a good restaurant and breakfast buffet, and a wide choice of rooms, small enough to care who you are, and welcome you back. Home from home !

Room Tip: Ask for an outside room if you want to look out over the city -- inner rooms just look at another ro...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times and it is a nice hotel of good standard. It is located on top of the central station, which means the location is great. If you arrive by train or airport bus, you get immediate access to the hotel.
It is kind of a boutique hotel, and the rooms are of good standard with confy beds. The breakfast is good, they serve everything you need but it can get crowded during the weekends.
There is a champagne bar, which is quite small, but if you get there during happy hours you can get a glass of champagne for a very reasonable price.

The Nordstan shoppingmall is just a few minutes away and then you have easy access to the rest of the shopping streets in Gothenburg. Trams and buses are outside the hotel, so we find the location to be perfect.

We had some problem with our sink, the water filled up each time we turned the water on. We informed the reception about it but when we got back later on the problem had not been fixed. We don´t know if they have an engineer working during the weekend, but it would have been nice if they could have fixed it.

The staff in the bar was a bit slow and it made us leave and not have a pre-dinner drink there. Otherwise the staff were friendly and nice.

All in all, a good little place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The First Hotel G in Gothenberg has a perfect location if you arrive by train. The front desk is in fact located right above the waiting room of the railway station and rooms located over the tracks. This will not, however, disturb you the least! Should you arrive by car, the hotel works with Nordstan parking center and a day parking will cost about 200 SEK (22 euros).

Check in was very smooth and we walked across the bridge to the elevators to go to our rooms. We had superior room, with an extra sofa and big flat screen tv, but the standard room seemed to be of good standard as well and not tiny as I have seen elsewhere.

The big drawback was that the rooms do not have windows to the outside (so they cannot be opened), but are like arms going out and thereby you will have a good view into other rooms and what those guests might be doing. It might be adviseable to draw the blinds a little extra when getting out the shower etc. We were lucky, room 5031, as we had the end of the row room and could actually see a little of the outside. Most rooms did not have this view to the outside. As we had our visit in October and the weather was rather bad, it didn't matter that much, but had we been coming there in the summer, I guess I would have thought it a bit dull.

The beds were comfortabl, the TV selection ok, nice minibar, well stocked, safe, iron and iron board and a decent selection of shampoo and things like that. I liked the sofa, it was nice to be able to sit in a comfortable sofa instead of bunking up in bed, which is what you mostly do when you're in a hotel.

The breakfast selection was very good, I believe this is one of the signature marks of the First Hotel chain. Has been so at all my previous visit to First Hotels. The reception area was cosy to sit in, a dark and quiet, especially with a drink before going out. Friday evening between 16-20 they have "After work", with special offers.

The location of the hotel is good, as I mentioned, the arena, the opera, transportation. All just around the corner.

We wouldn't hesitate to come back, especially if it was for a winter visit - might even opt for the standard room. We didn't visit the fitness center, so cannot comment on that.

Room Tip: A corner room towards the railway track will give you some contact with the outside world.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Lovely hotel based at the rail/bus station. Modern decor, staff very friendly and helpful. We had a beautiful room, equipped with everything we needed on the top floor. Very peaceful.

Breakfast as extremely good - great choice and the quality of food was top notch.

The reception is a nice spot to have a glass of wine, sit back, relax and watch the world go by.

The hotel is opposite a large shopping centre and a 10-15min walk into the more central part of the city.

Perfect for a weekend city break

Room Tip: We had a top floor room and heard absolutely no noise plus it had lovely city views
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple