“One of the best hotels in which I have stayed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #3 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Dusseldorf, Germany
“One of the best hotels in which I have stayed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2008

I had a wonderful time at the Avalon! I stayed three nights for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships in a double deluxe room.

My room was beautiful! It felt more like the bedroom of an upscale loft rather than a hotel room. My room had travertine floors, a small balcony, floor to ceiling windows (with a view of the city rooftops), smart furnishings, and very nice linens. Everything was so tasteful and in the traditional Scandinavian style. My bathroom was stylish and modern. The room and bathroom could either be brightly lit or dimmed. My room was immaculate and a nice size (not too small by European standards). I had plenty of room to move around and hang my clothes up and stow my luggage in the closet, so nothing was "laying out" in the room. My room was extremely comfortable and relaxing. The lobby area and restaurant were also both well decorated. Elevators were very convenient to my room. There is also a rooftop pool, but as it was snowy when I visited, I did not go up to see it.

The staff was extremely helpful and professional. More than once, they went above and beyond to help me. For instance, I asked the concierge a question about using the tram. He provided me with a map of the tram routes, marked my stops for me, gave me the schedule of when the trams I would be needing would come by, and made change for me to pay for the tram. All of the staff was this helpful in any request that I made. The breakfast was excellent as well. A nice assortment of both hot and cold items and the servers were nicely attentive, friendly, and accommodating.

The hotel is very centrally located in a beautiful area of Gothenburg. You can literally walk right out of the front door and you are in the main shopping district. You are just steps away to walk along the river or down the central "Avenyn". If you need to go further, one of the larger tram/bus stops is just next door. This however was neither noisy nor dirty.

I travel quite extensively and I typically stay in five star hotels (e.g., Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton). My experience at the Avalon is right at the top. The room was superb and the staff excellent. By far, one of the best hotels in which I have stayed. If I am ever in Gothenburg again, I would definitely stay at the Avalon again.

• Liked — My room
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank AffableChap

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2008

Stayed 2 persons at Avalon in Gothenburg for two days.

Avalon is situated right in the heart of the city - you can literally walk to everything from there. For SEK 295 per night we could park the car in the garage.

Our room (at 3. floor) appeared nice and clean, but a little dark. Windows faced a pedestrian street so no traffic noise, but - however - during night some neighbourgs were playing loud music which the windows couldn't keep out. Bathroom was also nice and clean.

Hotel bar was well visited during both nights of our stay.

All in all a fairly good experience.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2008

Gothenburg (Swedish: Göteborg) is a city, on the west-coast of Sweden with around 500,000 inhabitants - making it the second largest city in Sweden, after Stockholm.

In comparable with Stockholm - Gothenburg has only limited upscale hotel - maybe it is because the city known as "University City" ( Göteborg University is Scandinavia's largest University) and not as a tourist destination.

There are only two hotels that I can consider on my booking list, The Elite Plaza Hotel and The Avalon Hotel - which both of them are a part of Design Hotels (established in 1993, as the first of its kind, design hotels group now represents and markets a hand-selected collection of more than 150 hotels in over 40 countries around the globe).

I Booked two rooms at The Avalon, only because of their Modern Design incompare to the Elite Plaza Hotel.

Upon arrival, we noticed that there is no Bellperson, or Valetperson available at the main entrance. The Lobby is small and the reception desk located just a few meters away from the entrance. Three agents were there but they seems busy with the computer and lack of attention. As matter of fact I started the greetings "good afternoon" , and not hear anything on reply such as "welcome to Avalon". Don't get me wrong - the agents are well groomed and friendly - but definitly lack of basic hospitality service training.
At this point I did lower my level of expectation - and I just said to my self - just think as you are at Holiday Inn - do not compare them with Four Seasons :) .

After check-in , we heading directly to our rooms.
SURPRISE - the room are nice. We had two connecting rooms - a superior and deluxe room - on highfloor. Our Deluxe corner room (30-34 m²) has full view of the city, and the superior room (24-32 m²) has wonderful small jacuzzi tub (this they call it mini spa). Room setting was nice with bvlgari toiletries. One feature that surpass my expectation is their media center which is "Bang-olufsen". In general - the room size is standard but the decor and the setting are well appointed.

Brakfast was serve in their main restaurant - which is small and compact. The Food selection is standard (even westin hotel has better varieties!) . I think this is because they are a boutique hotel (101 rooms in total).

Overall stay was ok, as we only use the hotel for sleep. There is a roof top pool - but we did not have a chance to use it. The hotel located in central dirstrict with lots of shops around and it is in walking distance to many other attractions.

At present, this hotel will remain the only modern design hotel options in Gothenburg. I only hope that they could shape up their level of services. For the room rate of US$230(superior) & US$280(deluxe) per night - at least they should be able to manage a good level of guest experiences. If westin or hyatt can do that - they should be able to do it as well , especially with advantage like they are small property.

• Liked — Their Room and Location
  • Disliked — Their Services
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank luxadvisor
Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Avalon on a weekend getaway. We booked a deluxe double room, which I highly recommend. The deluxe rooms have floor to ceiling windows, some with and some without balconies. If you stay during the winter months, I recommend the rooms without balcony for a full and undisrupted view of beautiful Kungsportsplatsen. Turn off all the lights and lay in bed watching Gothenburgs nightlife! Fabulous! The room was not ready when I arrived at noon. I was offered to store my luggage and to be called on my mobile phone when the room was ready, wich was a nice touch. The call came at 14:00hrs. Check-in was fairly efficient (housekeeping failed to change room status to "cleaned", which resulted in some confusion) and luggage was already brought up to our room.

The room was big, bright, clean and modern with Bang & Olufsen flatscreen, Beo radio, dvd player, Dux beds, etc. The bathroom had his and her sinks, bathtub and separate shower/toilet. There was also a second separate toilet in another room. Bathroom amenities were from Bulgari, but here I must say that it seemed a bit stingy with only one bar of soap, one tiny bottle of shampoo, conditioner and lotion for 2 people. There could have at least been a second bar of soap in the other toilet and some bath gel for the bathtub. It just seemd a bit strange to save on amenities, when splurging on a Bang & Olufsen tv!

Minibar was well stocked and 2 complimentary bottles of mineral water were offered.

Bed was comfy with 3 fluffy pillows each and cozy blankets.
In-room lighting was efficient and easily controled, good adjustable airconditioning and soundproof windows. It was absolutely quiet in the room and we slept like babies...

We had a wonderful dinner in their fine dining restaurant. Highly recommend it!

Breakfast was chaotic. Unfortunately, many hotels miss the point with providing a good an uncomplicated breakfast. This is the last thing you do before checking out, and a poorly organized breakfast will make a lasting impression on your whole stay, no matter how good everything else was. Breakfast was until 11:00hrs on saturday and we arrived a 10:00hrs, as did many other guests. There were no cleared tables, no plates, cups and glasses. There was alot of staff, but they seemed to be running around doing things seemingly randomely without specific tasks or responsiblities. The choice of food was good, but the atmosphere was as said rather chaotic. Not at all the Zen feeling we were left with the previous night.

Apart from the breakfast experience, we were very happy with out stay, especially considering the reasonable weekend rate we got and the perfectly central location, not to mention the best view in town!

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank crmse
Lund, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2007

A new fantastic hotel in super surroundings in absolute city center! Very very nice staff, helpful and great! Beds with egyptian linen, bulgari bath products, flat screen tv, balcony overlooking the city, fantastic minibar and great great restaurant. Cosy and trendy in the same time. Didn't try the pool on the roof but it looks great too of course. I stayed in a superior room - i am completely sure the other rooms are just as great! Strongly recommended.

• Liked — everything was great!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business