“Great location, average hotel”
Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #3 of 65 Hotels in Gothenburg
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Ideally located in central Gothenburg with everything within walking distance.

We stayed two nights in a deluxe room. The room was nicely designed with little touches like Bvlgari toiletries. Comfortable bed and free WiFi.
The room got very hot even though we turned on the air condition and even opened the windows. It was only 5 degrees Celsius outside so there was something wrong with the heating.

The room was still not made up after 4pm, when we returned from a day of sightseeing.

Did NOT like the lack of a proper bathroom door, it only has a sliding wall that won't close properly.

The DVD-player did not work and even though we asked the staff twice to fix it they never bothered.

The breakfast was -after reading all the 5 star reviews- a bit disappointing, very standard. The variety of prepared fruit and vegetables was poor and it took forever to get a cup of coffee since there was only one coffee machine. They did have a huge selection of painkillers and vitamin pills, never seen that on a breakfast buffet before.
Horrible scrambled eggs, maybe made from powdered eggs, I don't know.

We ordered room-service one evening and it was lovely.

Don't know what was going on with the carpeting in the corridor outside the room, green shag pile carpet in strips that was stuck along the walls, it just looked tacky and dirty.

There were good points and bad points about our stay but we will probably stay somewhere else next time..

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank C A
Kamilla G, Hotelldirektör at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear CL,

Thank you for sharing your opinion about your stay at Avalon Hotel. We appreciate that you have taken the time to bring to our attention your point of view about the quality of the services we provide. It will have an impact on any improvements, which may be necessary to maintain the level of quality.
We are genuinely sorry to know that you were unable to enjoy a pleasant stay with us, even when you identify some positive points.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel some day in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in order to make a reservation or for any further information you might require.

Best Regards
Kamilla Grodzki
Avalon Hotel
kamilla.grodzki@avalonhotel.se

Write a ReviewReviews (1,170)

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed 3 nights accommodation in a superior room with open bath. The hotel and room is beautifully designed with lovely touches such as Bvulgari toiletries and feng shui design. Floor to ceiling windows with sliding doors let a lot of light into the room however when the sun shines the room gets very very hot and there is not individual room temperature a/c control, instead it is controlled from reception and is 1 temperature everywhere. This meant it was far too hot in the room at times.

The hotel is very well located central in Gothenburg and within walking distance of everything you can want to see. Staff are friendly, helpful, accommodating, and all of them speak fluent English which was much appreciated by us non Swedish speakers!

The bed is EXTREMELY comfortable, however I'd recommend that you request a "back facing" room as we faced the front and you can hear loud music from a bar /club opposite until 3am on Friday and Saturday nights.

Finally, breakfast is superb, there really is something for everyone! I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel, it's beautiful!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Marknadsavdelningen, Informationsansvarig at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Emma,
Thank you so much for your feedback and review here on TripAdvisor, it means a lot for all of us that working at the Avalon Hotel. We are so happy to read that you are pleased with your stay here and that you really enjoyed our hotel, rooms, beds, design and location!

We do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon upon your next visit in Gothenburg!

Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

I heard great things about this hotel and wasn't disappointed. The staff is great always willing to lend a hand and the location of the hotel is unique. It upholds a high standard and lives up to its great reputation. Anyone looking for a quality in Gothenburg is in the right place here.

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear Melli,

Thank you for posting a great review on TripAdvisor. Happy to read that you like our hotel, We are off course also delighted to hear that you enjoyed the time spent with us and especially appreciated our service & quality.

Melli, hope to welcome you back at Avalon Hotel soon again!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I have stayed in this hotel several times and it is really great. Perfect location in the city center. Close to all the shops and restaurants. The rooms are unique and light. Breakfast is superb. The hotel has value parking. The staff is serviceminded always with a smile.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Avalon Hotel experience on TripAdvisor.
We loves a 5 star Review! We hope to welcome you back to Avalon Hotel in the near future, all the best from your friends at Avalon in Gothenburg!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I have stayed at this Hotel for years & they have had a low turnover of employees. I see familiar
faces every year & they remember me as well! I had a few requests for items they don't normally
have in a room. I like my own coffee blend, they brought me a coffee maker. I wanted half & half & they found it for me. The staff always, always greets you with a a smile & a helping hand.
Last year, I didn't reserve my room early enough, & I had to stay at another hotel - I will never do that again!!! Since, textiles are my business, the location is perfect. I can walk to all meetings.
I never have to take a cab.
I love this Hotel!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lumberinn
Marknadsavdelningen, Informationsansvarig at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thanks for your feedback, hope to see you us our guest soon again! Welcome back

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I truly love this hotel. It has a great level of design, yet still feels very comfortable. It is very clean and centrally located. I highly recommend it. As a side note, the breakfast that is included with the room is one of the best I've ever had. Fruits, yogurt, eggs, meats, cheeses and possible the most unique juice bar with all types of fresh juices available (I had a wonderful pomegranate and Acai juice).

Room Tip: As for a regular/normal size room. They do have a very small room with a twin bed available and I ha...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Marknadsavdelningen, Informationsansvarig at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

First, many thanks for your fantastic feedback to us at the Avalon Hotel, 5 out of 5! We are thrilled when we read that our guests experience the stay here with us in line with expectations and preferably exceed them. Warm welcome back for a third time to us, All your friends at Avalon Hotel in Gothenburg

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I lived for many years in Gothenburg and the Avalon was always a hotel I thought would be nice to stay in. On a recent visit I could realize my ambition. The Avalon was every bit as well-designed and comfortable as I thought it would be. A lot of thought has been given to nearly every detail. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is very good. Location is unbeatable.
The only slight problem I had was with the TV/DVD whose remote control was not working. This wasn't fixed even after I told them, so I couldn't listen to my CDs. Not a big problem, but for this review it costs the 5th star.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Marknadsavdelningen1, Marketing coordinator at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Reiner H,

Thank you for your feedback. Happy to hear that we could meet your expectations.
Your views and thoughts are vital to us, and will be presented to the management at Avalon Hotel in order to improve our services.
We hope to welcome you back.