“I really like this place”

Arken Hotel & Art Garden Spa
Ranked #42 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I can understand the other views on here about the location of this place, but since I have only ever stayed here for business rather than pleasure, the location hasn't been an issue. I have returned to this hotel several times for business and always look forward to it. I find the atmosphere very calming. Some of the bedrooms are very small but others are lovely, with homely touches such as velvet cushions, arm chairs, a kettle and coffee machine. I also very much like the Oceanic room, with its comfortable chairs overlooking the sea. The one thing I do miss is room service - there isn't any. Otherwise, I find this a pleasant, relaxing and comfortable place to stay.

Room Tip: The larger rooms are definitely so much better than the very small ones.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 August 2013

My room was dirty, it was hairy and not clean in the bathroom, it's location is terrible - it's next to an industrial area. The rooms are really small, you can't even have your luggage on the floor - it's no room to open it. Entrance to the SPA costs 395 SEK (and thats just for 4 hours), it's not included in the roomprice, so you have nothing to do if you don't want to pay for it. I will never go back....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank N_Vacationgirl
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I tried this hotel for a coference with a small group. Some of the conference rooms were really nice, but not all of them, and we had to change conference rooms due to noise as they were renovating the hotel. Some of my colleagues tried the SPA, and they were really satisfied. I was not impressed by the food, neither at lunch or dinner. It was actually disappointing. The service was good and we felt really well treated by the staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Firsltly the location is terrible,next to a industrial area and it takes a long time to go to the city centre .Secondly the service is very bad and the rooms are terribly small. Thirdly the hotel is very expensive for example it cost 590 Sek or 88 Dollars to access the pool area.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank FrodiArnason
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Don't know about the hotel as I only went to the spa, but the interior is fantastic.
The spa department is really nice, warm pools, Jacuzzi's, light therapy rooms etc.
Staff where friendly and helpful.

We had a spa package with brunch. When we entered the brunch area there where no staff in sight. We waited for a little while but as no one appeared we just took the first available table near the windows. We had already paid for the food so we where just about to grab a plate and get some chow from the buffet. Then the head waiter entered.
We where told that we couldn't sit by the window (in a quite rude manner) as they hadn't made those tables. Almost every other table in the designated area was pre-booked and we didn't want to sit next to the buffet. How hard would it have been for him to put out 2 glasses and a bottle of water (that was what the setting consisted of)?
Later on another guy asked the waiter what the soup was made of, he had no clue and had to ask another waiter. Considering there where about 15 different dishes in the starter buffet (and they probably are the same every day), how hard would it be to remember which soup is served? Especially when you want to give the impression of upper class.
He also laughed in an loud, irritating and an bully type way when people asked him questions, which I do not find fitting in a restaurant of that class.
When people entered the restaurant to be greeted by the other waitress, they where told that the main course buffet was further away, something that our waiter didn't tell us, so we almost missed it. Main course was cod with potato, cod was fine, but kinda bland.

So all in all; probably a great hotel, very nice spa, bland food and moron head waiter.

This place is located far from the city center, I'd suspect that their guests mostly consist of business people visiting one of the Volvo plants or people (like us) that lives in Gothenburg.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Stayed for business at this hotel. The decor is nice and stylish, especially reception area is warm and welcoming.
Rooms are of ok size, tea and coffee facilities were nice. Cleaning was not satisfactory and there is obviously much noise from the trucks entering harbour area.
I have attended some conferences at this hotel, and these facilities are good.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We book a spa weekend with a dinner and one hotel night. We really enjoyed the spa. A bit noisy and crowded on the Saturday (I think it would be good to loose the jacuzzi for a more relaxing environment). Nice with three outdoor saunas and an outdoor pool. One hot pool upstairs together with a couple of different saunas and steam rooms (nicely sentenced with cinnamon and eucalyptus). nice relaxing areas on the first floor. A good selection of complementary tea, water, fruits and dried fruit. Very good vegetarian dinner in the evening. Nice breakfast buffet.

Rooms are small but nice. I wouldn't stay here if I were visiting Gothenburg (it's in the harbour far from the city center) or had a lot of bags with me. But for a spa weekend or a conference it's ok. I personally liked the mix of ruff dock surroundings and luxury spa.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Travellers also viewed these Gothenburg hotels
Sankt Jorgen Park
#1 of 67 in Gothenburg
Clarion Hotel Post
Clarion Hotel Post
#12 of 67 in Gothenburg

Been to Arken Hotel & Art Garden Spa? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Arken Hotel & Art Garden Spa

Address: Nordatlanten 100, Gothenburg 41878, Sweden (Formerly BEST WESTERN Arken Hotell & Konferenscenter)
Region: Sweden > West Coast > Vastra Gotaland County > Gothenburg
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #42 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Price Range: £101 - £144 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Arken Hotel & Art Garden Spa 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Arken Hotel & Art Garden Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.