“Duck down low”

Stromma - The Paddan Tour
Ranked #1 of 29 Tours in Gothenburg
More attraction details
Owner description: The classic city tour on the Paddan boats shows you the beauty of Gothenburg from a waterside perspective. The tour takes you under 20 bridges and out to the harbour.
Reviewed 20 July 2011

It was pouring with rain, but I wasn't coming to Gothenburg to just see rain. We took the plunge (sic) and bought tickets and Panchos to go on the Paddan Tour. It seemed to rain harder as we wiped the seats down. The guide came on board full of enthusiasm and fun. He may not have preffered to be out in the rain but he didn't show it. The tour was interesting and the big surprise was going under the "Cheeseslicer" Bridge. You have to try it to appreciate it. I think this was the best way to appreciate Gothenburg. Keep the Pancho on the outside of the seat, otherwise the water runs down on to the seat. Thoroughly enjoyed the tour.

2  Thank RogeRowlandson

Reviewed 11 July 2011

The guide, Maria (and skipper Olaf) were very entertaining, in both Swedish and English. Full of information, fun facts and laughter.

The boat trip itself was useful to get one's bearings around the city - so most useful too.

1  Thank drcrab
Reviewed 8 July 2011

After reviewing the top tours of Gothenburg, I decided to book with Padden Boat tours. I paid online for a combination ticket which allowed use of the “Hop on Hop Off Boat Sightseeing” tour and entrance to the Liseberg Amusement park. The cruise ship was only in port for 7 hours (with a 20 min shuttle bus ride to and from the ship), so we were on a compressed timeline to explore the city. My plan was to ride the boat for around the city and then head to Liseberg.

The ship’s shuttle brought us right to one of the stops for the boats at Gusto Adolfs Torg. I immediately went to a representative for Padden and showed her the receipt from the online booking. The young lady had no experience with on line bookings and informed me we had to exchange the receipt for tickets at the company's main office several blocks away. She also said the next boat would not arrive for 45 min. She gave me a company brochure with the timetable in it and sent me on my way.

After several confused moments, I saw another Padden representative and I explained the situation - she exchanged the receipt for tickets right there . Great, I thought! Then she said the next boat was in ~15 min so we waited.

The boat did not come for at least 30 min and by that time there was a large crowd waiting to board the boat. Every tourist had a similar idea of riding the boat completely around the downtown for the overview, so very few people disembarked. There was no queue at the landing so all the tourists crowded the boat for the few remaining seats. It was quickly filled up and the representative directed us to walk 4 blocks to another pickup point! At that point we had wasted an hour of our limited time so we decided to take the tram to Liseberg and do the boat tour later.

After a couple hours at the amusement park, we came back to the Gusto Adolf landing, and waited for another boat which according to the brochure was due to arrive in ~10 min. 30 min later I saw yet another rep from Padden and explained my frustration at the lack of punctuality of the boats. That is when he tells me I have the wrong schedule – the day prior to our arrival the timetable was changed yet the previous two reps did not mention this and gave us the brochure with the old schedule! At that point we had less than 2 hours left and I requested to talk to a supervisor – this was possible if I was willing to walk across town to their offices.

At that point I vented on the young man, loud enough to be overheard by a representative for the new rival to Padden, Lotsen Kanalsightseeing. The intrepid rep from Lotsen then offered a free tour for all 6 of my party to ensure we left Gothenburg with a favorable impression. Their boats had been visiting the landings with much more frequency and more room, so we jumped on their boat and enjoyed the beautiful perspective of the city from the water.

So I’m giving Padden a big thumbs down for our experience on 3 July and recommend you consider Lotsen for a tour: www.lotsensightseeing.se . They are a new and a superior company with professional representatives eager for business.

10  Thank Hoovpilot
Reviewed 29 September 2010

Last time I was visiting Gothenburg and had a couple of hours free time I decided to check out the Paddan Boat Tours.

I wasn't expecting much, but was hugely impressed by the tour presented. Provided in both English and Swedish the tour both travelled past a huge amount of things to see, but was expertly explained to a sufficient level of detail without being boring.

Watch out for the low bridges though - at one point everybody needs to get on the floor of the boat - a great photo opportunity :D

1  Thank britingermany789
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I took this tour when I visited Gothenburg and loved it. I recommended it to my parents when they visited and they loved it. Since it is outside and Gothenburg weather is not known to be great, be prepared for rain. It especially gets cold, windy and wet when they take you out in the harbor. Bring a rain jacket! Be sure to get there first as well since they lines can fill up quickly and they can only take a certain amount of people on board.