Caleo
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 September 2013

This place is on the expensive side but the food is of a high standard. We had the scallops and the duck with polenta, both were flawless. A lot of thought had obviously been put into the flavour combinations. Based on the food it is worth a visit.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Been there for dinner with colleagues - awesome food and beer, superb atmosphere and wine selection (although I haven't tried but friend of mine was pleased).
Just one minus was pushy waiter that comes to us every 15 minutes and asking for ordering more and more (dessert, wine etc). A bit expensive.

Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

Very nice restaurant with excellent service and very good food. Stumbled upon it by chance and was pleasantly surprised. The waiters were really nice and friendly. The menu had lots of interesting choices and an extensive wine list. Of course, this being Sweden, everything was on the pricey side but the quality of the food made up for it. I had the lamb which was super tender and my boyfriend had the mixed grill which looked and tasted great. They have a very nice terrace and even though it was a Monday night, the place was pretty full.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

Impressed by the quality of the food and the service by the staff and owners. One whish would be to update the winelist but other than that, excellent!

Reviewed 4 January 2013

My husband and I went to Caleo with another couple for a meal and we were not disappointed.

Was greeted by a very friendly gentleman at the door and informed that there were three other groups of four ahead of us waiting for a table and that it could take up to two hrs before we got to sit down but we were welcome to have drinks in the bar while waiting. The place was packed (note: it is a very small restaurant and the "bar" area is as big as the seated restaurant area). We decided to stay and wait and to our delight, 30min later a table was available.

I am Swedish, as is my friends but my husband is Irish and has very limited Swedish. When I asked the waitress for an English menu she immediately spoke to my husband in English and did so from then on. This is something that doesn’t happen very often when we are out in Gothenburg or anywhere in Sweden and I have to translate all the time. It made my husband feel very comfortable and I was delighted not having the extra job of translating.

I had the Sea bream and it was lovely. My husband had the sirloin steak and he loved it. It was cooked to perfection and more like fillet as there was no fat on it at all.

The service was excellent and the waitress constantly came to the table and asked if we wanted another drink as soon as she seen that our glasses was getting low. I can’t stand when you have to wait for hours to get the staffs attention and then wait another few hours to actually get what you asked for but top mark for the staff at Caleo. Service was first class!

The location of the restaurant is very central to all things going on in Gothenburg (I know because it is the city where I grew up) but it would be worth going off the track for the good food and service in Caleo.