“Extremely good service”

Dining options: Reservations
Helsinki, Finland
“Extremely good service”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

On a sunny September day we got a nice table outside on the terasse. The menu list was quite short, but the food was very delicious and the portions were served on nice shaped plates. Extremely good service, felt like eating in a Michelin star restaurant. I did not expect to find this kind of a wonderful place in Joensuu!

Visited September 2013

• Finnish first
Helsinki
“Exellent Dinner in Joensuu”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Kielo is must place to go, if you want to have perfect dinner in Joensuu. Kielo is fortunately independent hi quality restaurant not being part of the couple big chains that dominates and normalizes Finnish restaurant culture. Kielo is original and different. Portions were beautiful and service was good. I went for full dinner and started with appetizer of the day. I started with fireworks of 5 different tastes. It changes everyday and at least today it was very good and nicely put out.

For the main course I took braised blade of beef bbq style with vegetable terrine. Perfect. Meat simply melted in the mouth and tasted very good.

I finished with almond/chocolate pie with almond cream. All that coupled with two classes of red wine, espresso and port. It totaled around 70 euros, but it was worth of every cent.

Weather allowed to stay outside and eating all that in sunny evening was good experience that I will try another time again.

Highly recommended

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Kalle R
Helsinki, Finland
“Very good local food!”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Excellent service and very good food. Starters of the house had five small different portions. A little piece of salmon was amazing, never had better. Only the piece of cold reindeer liver was a bit of disappointment. As a main course we had fillet of reindeer with funnel chanterelle and nice sauce. Absolutely fantastic! As a desert I had chocolate fondant with banana pudding. Fondant was wonderful. The tiny banana pudding was ok. My friend had cheeses for desert. They were not Finnish even though the menu said so. There was a pice of Spanish manchego (wonderful) and stilton from UK (and another cheese, can´t remember what). They were served with honey and nuts. Wonderful! We didn´t mind they were not Finnish.

The weekend before visiting Kielo, my family had dinner in Kuopio in the famous Musta Lammas. Kielo´s food was better! The food is definitely worth the money. I just wish I could afford to come here more often.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank MrsM-7
“Fantastic experience”
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I went to Kielo because of its high reputation in the Tripadvisor. The waitress told that the restaurant has been around for about five years. I visited it with my wife in the middle of an early Saturday afternoon, and of the around 50-60 seats of the restaurant, about 1/4 were taken at that time, many of the from the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra who were visiting the city. However, we saw local people streaming in all the time. As far as I know, it is necessary to make a reservation if you come later in the evening on a Friday or Saturday.

As it was early afternoon, and I still had to drive a car, I skipped the wine and the starters and went directly to main course. From a very enticing list, I chose pan-fried white fish with beetroot flavoured potatoe créme and citron. My wife went for roasted fillet of elk with turnip and juniper flavoured sauce. Both these main courses cost just under 30 euros, which we find pretty expensive, but we're aware of the horrible prices of the Finnish restaurants.

The taste of the food made us to quickly forget about the prices, though, as the whitefish was with one word delicious. I also tasted my wife's elk fillet, and almost immediately thought I had made a mistake, choosing the fish (well, not really...). What a pity that I had to wash this fantastic food down with mineral water.

We decided to share two desserts. One was almond-apple pie with cinnamon ice-cream and the other cranberry parfait with home made toffee. I cannot say which was better, because they both deserved five stars.

My only problem is, how can I find a reason to travel to Joensuu again soon..?

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Suprematisse
“Excellent experience”
Reviewed 4 October 2012 via mobile

I have to admit that I did not expect to find this high quality in Joensuu. Kielo was excellent. The atmosphere is warm and nice in traditional Finnish way. It is quite plain and uses a lot of wood. It supports the experience very well. Service was very friendly and knowledgeable. Both food and wine recommendations easied the customer to good experience. We had assorted starters (selection of 5 different foods varying from local fish to snail), this was good variety of tastes. As main course I had lamb which was excellent. Also other foods in table received very positive comments. Dessert list was short but blueberry pie with ice cream remainded me of my grandmothers blueberry pie (and that is not bad). I warmly recommend.