“A basic spa with not so good service”

Rauhalahti Spa Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Kuopio
Reviewed 15 March 2013

When we arrived, we got a double room with an extra bed even if we had booked for a family room. Of course we didn't accept the room, and they didin't apologize and were reluctant for giving us the right room.
The spa area is very basic, but the showers and especially the dressing rooms are small and cramped. The spa was rather crowded so that we didn't enjoy the place too much.
The dinner and the breakfast were disaoopintments - there was far too little staff for at the moment. Dirty plates and glasses were lying on the tables, and one had to wait for food too long. No wonder that the staff was stressed and too busy to be polite.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 February 2013

We had our vacation a bit off season. So the hotel was pretty much empty. Only some small seminar groups and rehabilitation groups. Actually this was good thing. No congestions in the spa area which is quite small (comparing to Caribia in Turku or Spa Ikaalinen). The spa was clean with all basic services.
Room is bit outdated and TV was painfully slow to switch between channels.
Big plus from the service. Hotel personnel was friendly and all our wishes were taken into account.
Also food in the restaurant was very good (a la carte -list). Well made and tasteful. At the we would have liked bill, no one from the staff was at the dining room for 15-20 minutes. It seemed that they all were having a break? No one to make sure if somebody needed something. Anyway a successful dinner.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The location of this hotel is absolutely lovely. I loved the lake and it's great for swimming. The woodsmoke sauna is fantastic too and well worth a visit. It's five minutes walk from the hotel.
But... the hotel itself is pretty jaded and average. The decor looks like it hasn't been freshened up in about twenty years. The food was pleasant but nothing amazing. Our room was pleasant but I'm not convinced it was worth the 100 a night we paid for it. I was irritated that even though we stayed three days, no one came in to clean our room. To be fair, when you're paying that rate, you'd expect the room to be cleaned. For me the biggest disappointment was the pool area. The changing room was dirty and it was mixed.The pool area was OK but one of the saunas was broken when I was there. The whole leisure area felt tired and grotty. Worth staying here for the lake but the hotel was overpriced for what it was.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amy M
Reviewed 15 June 2012

This place is rather how I imagine an all-in cheapo package holiday to be. Thousands of screaming kids, pissed adolescents, pissed off mums and dads trying to look invisible.

I was in for just one night, and I had a room as far away from the lifts as was possible, and on the top floor... so it was sort-of OK for one night... but I would avoid in future. One good point was that the wi-fi worked 100% easily... far better thanb some "proper" hotels... HILTON are you listening?

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank TACHSuffolk
Reviewed 14 May 2012

A weekend rest, with 850km trip thru and fro from Helsinki. My expectation was not high, I am willing to make over whatever I find, it is my fault, I am the one looking for a weekend rest from work hassles.
Situated in a relatively nice naturely-scenery. The surrounding is circled with nature, trees and forests etc. It was calm, I agree, but why not if there are only a few people there. At the restaurant, you can count the number of people who came for breakfast. That even reminds me: Based on travel evidence gathered within the last one year of my trip in and around Finnish spas, It is a fact that all spa holiday hotels in Finland serves the same menu, irrespective of where it is located, you get same menu, the difference is minor or not at all.

The entrance door bears a resemblance of a night club, with a gate man with a warrior look, who will never welcome you nor smile and say hi to guests, at first I thought I was in a wrong place, but the name is written boldly on the roof top, I got to be on the right place, and just when I pause for a thought, the reception was just at the left conner overlooking eastward. It is unlike any reception hall I ever seen, it is a kiosk with a gambling machine on one conner, a seat on another, a computer room next for one person at a time, no wireless connection anywhere.

I never saw any staff smile at me for the entire duration of my stay, alien in mars, that was me. I trolied my luggage to the room, and the room was moderate: Double room, kaksi hengenhuone, gabage. The room has heating and temperature regulator which was good. The toilet, shower etc was good, electrical equipment and gadgets is far from what is on-board.

If you are anyone that is the moderate type, this place is for you, good price, hidden location, you do not want too much of everything, you prefer things as it were in the days of old, you will love this place.

The restaurant befits the spa in its small nature, barely 100-sqm, the menu is all I am familiar with as has always been the same in all spas in Finland. Omlet, porage, sausage, rice-pirakka, egg, bread and all what not.

the spar has a night club that features a live band, I like it. if you are the outgoing one, needless to go wondering in the city at night, you can have all the fun right inside the hotel, club, karaoke etc.

The pool is nothing to write about given previous experience from five star spar pools, there is nothing to address about it period. The atmosphere in the room was one of utmost silence and peace, I slept good.

I recommend this facility if you are a moderate that needs peace and tranquility from hassles, you interest is bellow par, go for it. The price is good given the content.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We have visited Spa Hotel Rauhalahti (Rauhalahden Kylpylähotelli) regularly. The latest time was in April 2012.

The hotel is situated in beautiful surroundings (good possibilities for walking) only about 5 kilometers from the city center of Kuopio.

We think that this is the best spa hotel in Kuopio region (better than Kunnonpaikka or Vesileppis which also are ok). The swimming pool department in Spa Hotel Rauhalahti is very good. There are pools for everyone from a baby to a grandmother. There are a swimming pool (20 meters long, depth 120-135 centimeters), two baby pools (34 degrees Celsius, depth 10-30 centimeters), two whirlpools (jacuzzis, 35 degrees Celsius), a hot water pool (37 degrees Celsius, depth 40-50 centimeters), a cold water pool (7 degrees Celsius, depth 110 centimeters), a warm outdoor pool (32 degrees Celsius, depth 145 centimeters), massaging showers and bubbles. There is also a water slide (23 meters long) which is suitable for everybody, especially for children aged 4-8 years.

The outdoor pool is quite big and it is warm also in the winter. It is wonderful to sit or swim in the outdoor pool under stars when the outside temperature is -10 degrees Celsius.

There are also saunas in the swimming pool department. The Roman Irish steam room is mixed for men and women. Finnish saunas are separated for men and women. The swimming pool department is open for hotel guests from 7 am to 10 pm. The steam room is open from 12 noon to 10 pm.

We love family rooms in the main building of the hotel. There are standard beds for 2 adults and an upper bed (a sleeping loft) for 2 small children or 1 big child. However, we think that it is better to put only one child in the sleeping loft and ask an extra bed for another child. Most of these rooms are non-smoking rooms and some of them have a balcony. Family rooms are situated on floor 2 (the entrance floor).

Some rooms may be a little bit shabby and worn out. Soundproofing isn't very good. Furthermore, the thermostat of our toilet's underfloor heating was cracking and clicking for the whole night. It was better to turn the thermostat off. After that it didn't make any noise. There are also apartment rooms (with or without an own sauna) and hostel rooms in separate buildings. Pets are allowed in some rooms.

Also plates in the hotel restaurant seemed to be worn out. However, both breakfast buffet, lunch buffet and dinner buffet were very good and tasty. There were even local specialties in the dinner buffet, e.g. Karelian rice pastries and kalakukko (fish in a bred).

The spa and swimming pools are situated in the ground floor (floor 1), restaurants (also dancing in many nights) on floor 2 and play room for small children on floor 3. There is also a hamburger restaurant on floor 1, a very good and big gym on floor 1 and a climbing wall (also badminton and floorball) on floor 1.

The historical Jätkänkämppä Lumberjacks Lodge mentioned in Lonely Planet and the world's biggest smoke sauna are situated 600 meters from the hotel.

There are many activities for everybody in the hotel or near the hotel. Rooms are big enough for families but some rooms may look a little bit oldish. The swimming pool department is very good and usually it isn't too crowded. However, there aren't big water slides there. The value is very good and we recommend the hotel for the whole family. It is absolutely worth a visit! A perfect place for relaxing!

Room Tip: Ask a room with a balcony. Rooms with a balcony also have a better view (a forest, an outdoor pool a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank JariJK
Reviewed 2 April 2012

In Kuopio on business and I was booked into this hotel which I would describe as a resort rather than hotel! When we were at it it seemed that the place was popular among the local retirees!
We were placed in a cottage that had three beds. However one of the beds was essentially in an open area at the top of the stairs.Internet is available but you have to pay for it and it is a wired connection at least in the cottage we were in. Free wireless is available in the reception and spa area.
The actual hotel is surrounded by beautiful Finnish countryside and if you want to go walking and generally have a relaxing time it is perfect. If however you are going to have business in town be aware that you will have to get taxis to and from the hotel.
The buffet breakfast and dinner was nicely presented offering usually three main courses and the staff were pleasant.
I only went to the spa once and found it a little dissappointing. This said there are a number of different pools including an outdoor heated one which is nice in the winter!
There is a swimming pool that can be used for actually exercise. The gym however has no treadmills for running.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business