“WHEN CAN I RETURN!”

Virgin Islands Campground
maine
“WHEN CAN I RETURN!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Our vacation was a month ago and I still find myself daydreaming about the place.

First, I tried to carefully follow the "planning your visit" section Deborah provides on their website http://www.virginislandscampground.com. She explains to give them a call ahead of time so they know when to pick you up at the marina on Water Island. Sure enough this went off without a hitch. Paul gave us a quick tour of the island and when we got to the campground Deborah greeted us with a big smile and a delicious cocktail.

We found our cottage to be charming. The big king size bed was great. So many details have been carefully thought out. We had cottage #6 and felt it was sufficiently secluded. The sound of the ocean was soothing and the breeze kept us cool. We did find some geckos and a few ants in our cottage, the millipede stayed outside. My husband got a kick out of saying hello to the resident gecko. A lone mother hen and her chicks were fun to watch. We also enjoyed the many hummingbirds that came to the feeder at the pavilion. And check out the community of hermit crabs. All of these creatures only added to the natural culture that flourishes throughout Water Island.

Meal preparations were never a problem. Everyone was good about picking up after themselves. There were people from all over the country and even from Europe. People from all walks of life, older and younger, professors to custodians, we enjoyed socializing with all of them. This was a highlight of our stay. The only con I can think of is if the campground gets bigger they will need larger Pavilion space.

Water Island is hilly. Very hilly. I would recommend splurging on the golf cart. After spending all day on the beach, enjoying a delicious fish taco and several drinks at Heidi's, you aren't going to want to break a sweat walking back up to the campground. Beside, we enjoyed tooling around Water Island. Driving up to the fort at sunset is memorable, especially when there are a few cruise ships sailing into it.

I would also recommend planning meals. We did not sufficiently think about this and counted on purchasing everything once we got to St. Thomas. After traveling all day we got to Crown Bay Marina needing buy food for the night and next morning. We spent a lot of money that first night. Next time we will pack a suitcase with some food. You are able to purchase food at Gourmet Gallery which is convenient but extraordinarily expensive. Pueblo's is less expensive but not as convenient.

We went to Charlotte Amalie for one day to purchase sandals and did not feel the need to return.

I had read a review suggesting not to cram too many things in. It was a great recommendation. The food and drinks Heidi's and Dingy's on the beach were delicious. Thankfully there is an ATM machine at Dingy's which we needed several times. Drinks don't come free. We thoroughly enjoyed Honeymoon Beach and did a lot of snorkeling. Swimming with sea turtles and beautiful fish was an amazing experience. If you plan on snorkeling, I do recommend splurging on bringing your own snorkel gear, you will not regret it.

We did the Buck Island sail with Capt. Carl. It was reasonably priced, the snorkeling was amazing, the captain is a Water Island old timer, and it was a great time.

Finally, listening to Paul tell his and Deborah's story of their life's work, building the campground, as well as other adventures, makes you admire even more the effort taken to build the campground into the success it enjoys. Oh, and I can't forget Sean who was always scouting for what needed to be done or what a guest wanted.

Like many other reviewers, we hope to make this vacation experience a regular occurrence. Once bitten...

Room Tip: Cottage 6 was off the beaten path.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
deborahquade, Front Office Manager at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Heck right now and you can enjoy your 10% returning guest discount if you book directly. You are amazing to write all of that stuff...you are clearly a writer...I enjoyed hearing what you had to say, but some people can just say it better...and you did! Thank you!!

Come back soon.

Deborah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Bristol VT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

For those who want to get away not only from the snow and cold stateside, but also from the oppressive commercialism of Charlotte Amalie and most of St. Thomas, this is your place, a quiet, secluded nook on a sparsely populated island nearby. A swimming beach, a coral discovery beach, & hiking to historical sites are all nearby. It's not so much a campground as a small colony of rustic buildings. Bring your own food, but there are 3 restaurants on the island if you run out. The owner and staff are friendly and helpful, but mostly you interact with interesting, like-minded campers. Don't miss Karl's half-day sail to Buck Island - sea turtles, barracuda, & squid on a coral reef.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim S
deborahquade, Public Relations Manager at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Jim,

I so agree with you...the best thing about us are the guests that visit...that is consistent: great people ( thank goodness, since my home is only feet away from all the guests!!). Thanks for taking the time to write a review and I do hope you all are able to join us again.

Deb and Paul
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

I want to say "Don't Go!" because part of the charm is the smallness and quiet of this idyllic island get away. It's not really a campground as there are no tents. The accommodations are screened cottages, each quite private and caressed with the trade winds day and night. You are 10 minutes from either of two beaches - each with its own pleasures, beauty and charm. We were told to bring food, because there were no stores and only one part-time restaurant. But I could happily have lived on morning coffee at the 'campground,' and the fish tacos and Heidi's. Heidi's Honeymoon Grill offers delicious food; and the Saturday night dinner is not to be missed! (Order ahead on Friday if you are there.) And the Monday night movie is a treat beyond compare. But...back to the campground. Part of the pleasure is the people you meet there. Just a few, as there are only 6 cottages. You share an open air kitchen with everything you need - and nothing more. A bathroom that is clean clean clean! and the most deliciously HOT hot tub ever. (Actually, the entire place is clean clean clean, a welcome indication of the care and pride that Deborah and Paul put into the place.) While there met a lovely Danish family, and several couples from Europe and USA. All were mature and pleasant, and understood how to share a kitchen and clean up after themselves. There were no "Wahoos" or late night partiers, much to my relief. Deborah and Paul and Sean could not have been more welcoming, and I would suggest following any suggestions they have re: where to go and what to do. Especially, the 1/2 day or full day trip with Karl on the Vandor to Buck Island. A beautiful sail on a nice ketch; an hour or so of snorkeling curated by his first mate; and a lovely sail back with simple snacks and beverages of any type. I especially appreciated the eco-design of the water and plumbing systems. My suggestion: GO NOW before a hotel developer finds this gem of an island. But if you are looking for night life and a party...stay on St. Thomas!

Room Tip: I think the cottages are better than the one little apartment because the Trade Winds blow through s...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
deborahquade, Guest Relations Manager at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Beautiful review...thank you. Could you email me and tell me why the sleep quality was not rated 5...I would like to get sleep quality back to 5, but don't know what to do.

Your return visit will be 10% off...til then.

Deborah and Paul
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Please see the comments left by MohoRio. Couldn't agree more. The island is hilly, and we walked everywhere, toning up quite a bit in just a week. We took the open air bus several times on St. Thom, and it is a dollar locally or $2 if going to the far end to transfer to St. John. Am still thinking about wonderful people we met at the campsite, who came from all over the US and Canada. We will definitely try to get back next year. Book early if you do think this is for you.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
deborahquade, Public Relations Manager at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
I like your review...the exact way I would write it : see the long one below...I liked that review too...thanks for your time and come back to get your 10% discount when you book direct.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

Warm breezes and warm hospitality. This is a great place to relax in a beautiful setting. Lovely cottages, well maintained. Enjoyed meeting other guests in communal kitchen area. Short walk to incredible beach with two good food vendors on either end of beach. Had a great time.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Short, sweet and to the point...loved your review. Thanks and do come and see us again.

Deb
Brookline, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Booked this place based on the strength of past Trip Advisor reviews for our first ever trip to the USVI. We had never heard Water Island before, but what luck!

This is a delightful place to stay if your vacation goal is to warm up and wind down. Friends and I planned the whole trip on a whim to get away from our Boston winter, busy jobs, etc. Here, in a nutshell, are ups and downs of our experience:

Pros:
-Water island is much more peaceful than we found St. Thomas to be. There are no shops, few activities geared to tourists. It was exactly what we wanted (mostly we read, cooked, played games, swam, took walks, and relaxed on Honeymoon Beach).
-Water Island is tiny and you can walk everywhere.
-We liked being able to cook and make coffee in the pavilion each morning. Saved money, and was fun. Make sure you stock up your suitcase carefully before leaving home, though! Groceries are pricey on the islands.
-The other guests were all very friendly, and I think that is part of the culture of the place. Deborah kept asking guests to introduce themselves to each other.
-We had two nights in the Suite and two nights in a cottage. I think the cottage was more spacious, but having a private bath in the Suite was also nice. The cottage was very breezy and had a great porch for reading.
-Everything at the campground was spotlessly clean.
-Service and attention to detail were fabulous. All aspects of the setup (wait until you see your color coded dishes in the Pavilion) have clearly been carefully conceived and executed.
-Honeymoon beach, which is a five-minute walk from the campground, is beautiful, not too busy, and great for swimmers of all abilities.
-The two beach bars, Heidi's and Dinghy's, serve a plentiful array of cocktails and beer, as well as good and reasonably priced snacks/meals.
-The campground owners know everything about everything you might want to do in the area. And if they can't tell you, one of the locals who hang around the ferry dock can.
-The sailing trip we took with Karl (at Deborah's recommendation) was great. 1/2 day is the perfect length.
-With the help of four ferries, two 'safaris', a hitchhiking session, and a VITran bus, we made it all the way over the far end of St. John (hiked the Reef Bay trail down to Lameshur Beach and caught the bus back west from Salt Pond). Definitely worthwhile, but a big project, so make sure you get up early if you do something like this. We preferred doing it ourselves to the ranger-led tour.

Cons:
-Water Island is, yes, an island. You have to take a $5 ferry whenever you wish to go to St. Thomas. It runs fairly regularly up to 6pm. You have to request a 9pm. And after that your options get limited (and expensive). That said, we only left Water Island once because we found it so pleasant.
-We had a few creatures in our cottage. Lizards. Spiders in the beds. More lizards. Also a nightly millipede in the bathroom. I think this comes with the territory and is not too big a deal, but we slept a little less soundly with so many friends around.
-Only two burners in the pavilion so sometimes we had to wait a bit to cook.
-Heidi's Honeymoon Grill's big Saturday night dinner was a bit disappointing. Very pricey ($28 per entree) for what it was. We loved all the food we had from her regular daytime menu, though!

FYIs (If you are a fussy traveler, take heed):
-Bathrooms are co-ed.
-Showers are solar heated, I think. They are not hot, but definitely warm enough.
-Cottages are close together and very open, so if you are on a romantic trip, see if maybe you can get one of the furthest out or the Suite.
-The island and the campground are both very hilly. If you have difficulty with steep slopes this may not be for you.
-Water Island and Virgin Island Campground are not for travelers who like to be entertained all the time. Again, there aren't any flashy tourist activities on this island and your cottage will not have a TV. This is for travelers who like to relax and take things very slowly.

Overall, A+. Exactly what we needed. A big thank you to Deborah & Co. for making us feel so welcome! I would recommend this place to anyone, and I hope I get a chance to return.

Room Tip: Suite is the way to go if you really must have a private bathroom.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MohoRio
deborahquade, All of the above!! at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Who knew...the last two reviews are amazing and totally the opposite. One short and to the point and you...and amazing writer...I don't know ANYTHING about blogs, except, I suspect you write some...loved your review...loved your review ( as you can tell, I'm the more short and to the point kind of writer!)

Thanks for all your tips and I have on my list: masking tape and magic marker pen holder...I think I might try your suggestion so the " refrigerator police" ( me) has less work!!

Come back and see us, Ladies...incl. your 10% discount.

Very Sincerely,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

We stayed at VI Campground for 5 days in January as a getaway from the brutal cold in the NE USA. We stayed in the Suite which was very clean and had all of the amenities we needed. The view was spectacular and camaraderie among the campers, owners and staff was really what made this a special experience. I will say that if you like glitz and glam, this place is not for you, but if you like the outdoors, and like to interact with your fellow guests, you will really enjoy your stay. I recommend getting a golf cart, mainly because they are really fun to drive around, but also because the are convenient and help on the hills! This would be a great place to go with some friends. You would have the benefit of privacy, and also the central kitchen as a gathering place. The hot tub is nice too.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
deborahquade, Manager at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Thanks for your nice review...much appreciated.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Water Island
Paradise Cove Oceanfront Villas & Suites
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End

Been to Virgin Islands Campground? Share your experiences!