Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Staying here was truly paradise!”

Virgin Islands Campground
Reviewed 28 August 2014

If you are looking for an adventure and a truly relaxing vacation in paradise that is not your cookie cutter resort full of tourists, this is the place!!! Everyone at the campground was so friendly and great with anything we needed. So nice having them pick you up from the dock and drop you off when you are hauling all your luggage. They even picked us up when we had tons of groceries, free of charge! The cottage was very clean and the views were amazing. Truly a great stay for an extremely affordable price if you are looking for pure relaxation! Also a special thanks to Sean who recommended some truly amazing activities for us. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2014

And we are looking forward to your return stay!! Sean is a huge asset to our facility...yes he does recommend great things to do...hope you also got a toe ring...those are so much fun and a great way to remember us...

Until next time.

Deborah and Paul

There are newer reviews for Virgin Islands Campground

Reviewed 20 August 2014

There is no doubt in my mind that I will return soon the VI Campground. I took my daughter there for scuba diving and we had a wonderful time. The cottages were large enough, neat, and clean. The bathrooms were nice as well. The community cooking facility was stocked with everything that you would need and it was very peaceful to cook and eat in the open breeze with the beautiful view of the ocean below. Everyone was friendly and Sean, who works there, was a huge help. With only a 5 minute warning he got me and my daughter to the ferry on time and went above and beyond to ensure that we had everything that we needed. It was a fabulous vacation - I loved it so much that I'm thinking about moving there!

Room Tip: All the cottages were very nice with a private deck.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

So glad you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us...I also think a great place because it is so safe..Sean is amazing and we appreciated you giving him praises, which are so deserving. Thank you for taking your time to share with others.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I loved my stay here at Virgin Island Campgrounds! I am a single woman that decided to travel alone, therefore really did my research before hand! I called Deborah before making reservations, because I was a bit nervous traveling alone not sure where to fly into, taxi's to catch, ferry etc., she answered every single one of them willingly and had so much patience with me! She calmed my fears and was there 24/7 just a phone call away if I had any last minute questions. Sean, one of the employee's there, even answered the phone once and gave me last minute detail advice to assure me that everything would be ok. And it was!

The cabin I stayed in was Cabin #1. It was awesome! All the cabins are awesome, because I asked all the other campers if they liked their cabin, the view mainly, and they loved it! So, all the cabins have beautiful views, nice breeze and very cute inside. I loved my deck with table, and having all the open windows surrounding me on every side. I would lay in bed at night and look at the moon, as I listened to the ocean down at Limestone Beach hit shore and all of the nightlife chirps that surrounded me. It was a lullaby every single night of my stay.

I am a triathlete and had to train while I was there on the island. The swimming at Honeymoon Beach was perfect for laps (because of being roped in for swimmers, very safe), and the running was mainly Hill Repeats. So make sure if you are in training, bring your cap, goggles and running shoes. You will get a great work out!

The community restroom is upscale, and the pavilion is fully equipped for your cooking needs. And what a fantastic view! The ferry ride over to the island is convenient and easy.

Sean and Connie were great! I could always count on them if I needed anything. Sean's laugh is contagious, and Connie is so kind and helpful. It was always nice to see them around, knowing they would help me if I needed anything.

Thank you Paul, which is Deborah's husband, for letting me tag along back to St. Thomas on your boat. What a GREAT way to end my vaca for this year! And thank you Deborah, for letting me in on the VI Nice Certificates, I was so blessed to have them to spend! Thank you!

So, there you go! Thank you for allowing me to spend my vacation in your little piece of Heaven:) I will be back!

Penny

P.S. If you are traveling alone, don't worry, you will meet new friends that are staying at the campground with you, and the locals are very nice. No worries...be happy!

Room Tip: Cabin #1 is a nice choice for someone traveling alone due to being close to the restroom down below.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Penny K
deborahquade, General Manager at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2014

Matthew,

Thank you for appreciating Virgin Islands Campground...reviews like yours keeps us motivated and eager for more happy guests. Til next time.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We recently got back from a week's stay at the campground. Water Island is a gem, and the campground is located in the middle of it all. The facilities are clean, the eco-cottage is spacious and comfortable, and the people there could not have been friendlier. I only hope I can go back and stay at the campground again. It's one of the best vacations I've ever taken. Thanks to Sean, Deb and Paul for providing us with a great and clean place to spend while in paradise.

Room Tip: Book directly through the campground for additional savings.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Sean, Paul and I were certainly glad to help you out...you are very welcome. We're just glad you had a great stay and we do hope you will return...so much fun to have returning guests...

Til next time,

Deb Paul and Sean

Reviewed 5 August 2014

What a wonderful place! Our daughter and husband visited in April and hand nothing but glowing reviews. We stayed in the suite and it was more than perfect. Waking up and sitting on our deck to watch the sun come up was really magical. A short walk to the most beautiful, picturesque beach in the islands - wow - what more could you ask for. The snorkeling was a bonus - we saw sea turtles everyday. The people on the island are super friendly and joy to be around. Water Island itself is not commercialized - which was perfect for us. If you want to go to another island, a quick ferry can get yo to St. Thomas and you can go from there. More about the suite and the campground. The suite had every convienence that we needed, the rooms very charming, and sleeping was extremely comfortable. Sean hooked us up with an incredible sunset sailboat excursion! We can't wait to go back !!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David W

I love reviews...it really tells people thinking about staying with us the "real deal"...thanks for sharing with them and us, of course!! We love the praises. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return, taking advantage of the 10% return guests discount.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

A note. If you're looking for pampering...To be waited on hand and foot...., look elsewhere. If you want air conditioning and room service, and a bellhop at your beck and call, this might not be the vacation destination you're looking for.

All of that said, If you're unafraid of a bug or lizard, or you enjoy the feeling of the wind whipping through your hair, if you'd like to just turn off your over-connected life for a few days, or you think that maybe....just maybe...letting the sound of crashing waves lull you to sleep every night would be your idea of heaven...please, keep reading.

Now....to those of you still with me, when we got home from our trip, I asked my wife "what was your favorite part". Her response, after quite a bit of consideration was "I think it's the fact that we spent the past week drinking rainwater".

The word "campground" isn't quite fitting, in my humble opinion. This is an eco-resort. You'll sleep in a canvas cottage. You'll drink (incredibly pure, impeccably filtered) rainwater. Your lights will be powered by the wind. There will be nature all around you.

What you will have is freedom. Freedom from the ties of this digital life.

Water island and the Virgin Islands Campground are BEAUTIFUL. The staff is friendly, the locals are hospitable, and the experience is unforgettable.

Tips: Deborah, Paul, and Sean know everyone on the island. Use their connections. Book the boat tour with Captain Karl. Visit Heidi's Honeymoon Grill (fish tacos...they're the best). Rent a golf cart to explore the island....but only do it for one day. Water island is best experienced at a walking pace. Limestone Cove is a 10 minute (moderately challenging) hike down from the campground, and there will be ZERO people there. You can hike on the beach, snorkle out past the surf, or just sit and watch the cruise ships sail by.

Honeymoon beach is a 15 minute hike down the other side of the island, and equally rewarding. The beach can get a bit populated in the early afternoon, when the cruise ship tours arrive. Usually, within a couple of hours, the beach will be nearly empty.

Virgin Islands Campground is a beautifully kept property. The kitchen and common areas are perfect for socializing with other guests after a day of chilling on the beach. We really enjoyed our trip, and would 100% for sure do it all again.

Room Tip: The cabins downhill from the main house are much more private...but it can be a bit of a walk to get...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Calypso-Pictures

You certainly got it right and I was still with you your entire review. You know we've been drinking rainwater for years, but I just took it for granted. Hearing this was the highlight of your trip...I think I need to rethink my appreciation of our drinking water...thank you!

Hope you will return to enjoy our little slice of paradise.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

The hospitality, location, beauty, and serenity have no words to sincerely describe appropriately. It is a must experience to truly understand. The campground is equipped with all needs. It is the best "camping" experience ever. The Honeymoon Beach is only a 5 minute walk, where snorkeling, sea turtle encounters, various sea life are an extra plus. It is only a short ferry ride to experience other islands as well. Everyone on the island is friendly and there are spectacular views from atop the trails and the lookout on Fort Segura. If you are a history buff, the Fort is a must see!

I most definitely suggest going to The Virgin Island Campground for your stay in The Virgin
Islands. My daughter asked if we could move there. I definitely would like to!

• Stayed: June 2014
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Bless your heart...I do believe that is the first title with the use of my name and it makes me feel really proud. Thank you!! You have a lovely family and I really enjoyed your daughter...it was so cool to see her and the other young lady bond so quickly...if only us big folk could follow suit!!

Anyway, we hope you enjoy your summer in Ohio and hope also you will return to see us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Water Island
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast

Been to Virgin Islands Campground? Share your experiences!