“One of the best restaurants in Finland”

Restaurant Lapland Hotel Sky Ounasvaara
Ranked #8 of 89 Restaurants in Rovaniemi
Price range: US$28 - US$112
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Restaurant Lapland Hotel Sky Ounasvaara is fine dining dinner restaurant, which has been one of the best restaurants in Finland for many years. Restaurant has fine Lappish cuisine with lots of local and Arctic ingredients. Admire the stunning natural scenery stretching out to the horizon through our panoramic windows while savouring the culinary pleasures created by our kithen dream team. Restaurant is located on the top of the Fell Ounasvaara. After dinner we suggest to make a visit to our roof terrace with stunning views to surrounding nature full of fells and rivers. Location is best in the town for observing the Northern Lights from mid-August until the end of March. You can enjoy the Midnight sun in Summer in June and July. Table reservations are needed to make in advance. A warm welcome for a visit!
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I'm living in Rovaniemi, and Sky Ounasvaara is absolutely my favourite restaurant in the town. To be honest, it's my favourite in the whole Finland. Just to mention, now i'm talking about fine dining, to get something cheap and cheerful it's better to go somewhere else. I've visited in many michelin star-restaurants and i must tell that not many of them have beaten Sky Ounasvaara.

When I eat there, i usually take the surprise menu. I've never had anything i didn't like, even if some of the dishes have been quite experimental. The best thing is, that you can really taste all the incredients. Strong flavors. All the sauces etc. are really made by the chefs, wich unfortunately isn't really common in finnish restaurants. They use local indredients when possible. Breads and butter served are made on spot. Dishes are not large, but if you eat 3-5 courses, they are just perfect, you won't leave hungry. The price may be a bit expensive, but it's everywhere in finland. This is where you get really good quality for the money. Pay just a little less and eat junk elsewhere.

Most of the times i've taken the wine package, so the waitress has picked wines matching my menu. This far they have matched well. Serving are really friendly and the athmosphere in the restaurant in lovely.

I would recommend this restaurant to everyone who likes to eat well.

2  Thank jarppi

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We had the "surprise menu" where the chef chose the food and matched wines... fabulous experience with a good window seat to view Aurora (switched off our evening!!). Food sublime, wine very well chosen, bill shocking - a major treat ((DON'T take kids)

1  Thank DanDale
Reviewed 20 December 2013

On our last night in Lapland visited and stunning views accross Rovaniemi from roof terrace..it was -16 so wrap up warm..the bar is open till 1am and open to non residents and the coffee was much needed

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Very nice place. Beautiful view to the hill. We were in four so had chance to taste and rate different dishes. Highly recommend reindeer and goat milk yogurt for dessert. Waitress was very kind and answered to all our questions, explained carefully about ingredients. Before starter we were treated with onion soup and bread of different types. Both were tasty. I have never eaten so taste beet root as there. Chef should be very talented and professional to prepare such a masterpiece of such simple vegetable. I have not tried pies, portion was too small, but I'm sure it was also very good.

1  Thank MarinaZabughina
Reviewed 15 August 2013

It was one of the best meal of all my life! All what I tasted there was amazing. In particular I eat as starter some trout from lake Inari, then reindeer (grilled fillet and braised entrecote) and as dessert bluebarry cake. It is not traditional lappish cuisine but quite modern lappish cuisine. All the dish were very looked after and very tasty, the view is amazing because restaurant is on a lonely hill. The price are high but it is worthful for what you can eat. I would really like to eat there also because the menu is always changing!

2  Thank jpmoinet