“Really delicious”

Ranked #9 of 94 Restaurants in Rovaniemi
Price range: US$30 - US$118
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Restaurant Lapland Hotel Sky Ounasvaara is fine dining dinner restaurant, which has been one of the best restaurants in Finland for many years. Restaurant has fine Lappish cuisine with lots of local and Arctic ingredients. Admire the stunning natural scenery stretching out to the horizon through our panoramic windows while savouring the culinary pleasures created by our kithen dream team. Restaurant is located on the top of the Fell Ounasvaara. After dinner we suggest to make a visit to our roof terrace with stunning views to surrounding nature full of fells and rivers. Location is best in the town for observing the Northern Lights from mid-August until the end of March. You can enjoy the Midnight sun in Summer in June and July. Table reservations are needed to make in advance. A warm welcome for a visit!
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We decided due to the many positive reviews at tripadvisor to have dinner at the Sky Hotel Restaurant in Ounasvaara. It was a very good desision. The Hotel does not look very new and inviting from the outside. The atmosphere in the restaurant is much better though. Nicely prepared tables, a huge window front on three sides of the restaurant, which gives you a great view into the surrounding woods. The best tables are directly at the window. However, guests on tables in the back might still have a nice view as those tables are situated on a higher level of the restaurant. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Our waitress was explaining us the fact the the chilean winemaker of the wine we choose visited the Hotel to present the wines and organize a tasting. A nice detail we thought. The most important thing, the food itself, was delicious. We went for the tasting menu which was a Gazpacho Andaluz, a pork belly with salsify, a whitefish with basil gnocchi and brown butter and finally a chocolate dessert. Each course had fantastic flavours and it was a pure pleasure to enjoy it. It was not cheap, however, compared to Norway and Sweden the price for this top class dinner was agreeable. If you like good food and you would like to enjoy it in a nice restaurant and if you are ready to pay for the good quality than Sky Ounasvaara Hotel Restaurant should be your choice. Whenever I'll comeback to Rovaniemi I will visit it again for a great dinner out.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Don't get discouraged by the sight of the hotel the restaurant is in. It might look a bit dated from the outside and certainly you would not expect such a fine meal in these surroundings. We had a very friendly waitress and an outstanding meal. We chose the tasting menu, we got some very delicious home-made bread with cloudberries, the greeting from the kitchen was already very satisfying. I really like the fact that they use ingredients from the region like whitefish from Inari; and that in every dish you find some surprising element, like an olive oil sorbet in the gazpacho or the dandelion with the fish. Some have said it's the best restaurant in Finland - I don't know about that as it is only the third one I've eaten in but up until now I am positively surprised of the very high quality in all of them. Finland seems to have its good share of fine chefs.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I'm living in Rovaniemi, and Sky Ounasvaara is absolutely my favourite restaurant in the town. To be honest, it's my favourite in the whole Finland. Just to mention, now i'm talking about fine dining, to get something cheap and cheerful it's better to go somewhere else. I've visited in many michelin star-restaurants and i must tell that not many of them have beaten Sky Ounasvaara.

When I eat there, i usually take the surprise menu. I've never had anything i didn't like, even if some of the dishes have been quite experimental. The best thing is, that you can really taste all the incredients. Strong flavors. All the sauces etc. are really made by the chefs, wich unfortunately isn't really common in finnish restaurants. They use local indredients when possible. Breads and butter served are made on spot. Dishes are not large, but if you eat 3-5 courses, they are just perfect, you won't leave hungry. The price may be a bit expensive, but it's everywhere in finland. This is where you get really good quality for the money. Pay just a little less and eat junk elsewhere.

Most of the times i've taken the wine package, so the waitress has picked wines matching my menu. This far they have matched well. Serving are really friendly and the athmosphere in the restaurant in lovely.

I would recommend this restaurant to everyone who likes to eat well.

2  Thank jarppi
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We had the "surprise menu" where the chef chose the food and matched wines... fabulous experience with a good window seat to view Aurora (switched off our evening!!). Food sublime, wine very well chosen, bill shocking - a major treat ((DON'T take kids)

1  Thank DanDale
Reviewed 20 December 2013

On our last night in Lapland visited and stunning views accross Rovaniemi from roof terrace..it was -16 so wrap up warm..the bar is open till 1am and open to non residents and the coffee was much needed