“Tasteful local food”

Ranked #10 of 85 Restaurants in Rovaniemi
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Monte Rosa is an ideal place to relax and enjoy the Arctic cuisine in a modern and cosy atmosphere. Come and try out the fine local flavors spiced up with an international touch. Check it out here!
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Don’t be confused by the name. It is not an Italian restaurant. Food is mainly local and excellent. Friendly, good service. Very warm atmosphere

There are newer reviews for Monte Rosa

Reviewed 24 September 2013

OK, I usually find TA to be very spot on for advice. But, when we were here in August this year, I was a bit reluctant to try a #8 when McDonald's was #12 (now #11). We were only here for 2 nights and were so happy with our first meal we came back for the second dinner. Therefore, I can't speak for the other restaurants, but I would definitely rate this much higher if it is competing with McDonald's (someone's idea of a joke, perhaps?). The food was excellent, well presented, good service, and I will definitely go back if I ever end up that far north again in Finnland.

Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

In the heart of Rovaniemi this long standing establishment is quite highly regarded. I was here for a dinner in the early hours of a monday evening. The service was so slow that a hungrier person would have died before getting anything to eat. Interior reminds you Of the ferries cruising between Finland and Sweden - and that is not a compliment by any means.... Food only average .

1  Thank jvtraveller
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I had there a business dinner with two customers. Lappish dishes were excellent, and service was fast and friendly. I especially loved my reindeer dish. Of course food and especially wine was expensive, but that is unfortunately the case everywhere in Finland. Service was very fast maybe because it was not the tourism season and restaurant was not very full (in high travel high season things can be different). So globally I was very satisfied. I have also been there couple of times for a buffet lunch which is really "value for the money" (nice lunch buffet with lots of choice in a nice price). In Finland generally talking you can find nice lunch buffets.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Staff at this restaurant were clearly not professionals (or poorly trained, evident from such things as serving one person from the left, another from the right; not knowing anything about the items on the menu--having to check everything in the kitchen; offering the dessert card before clearing the dishes from the main course; a second server repeating a question already asked by a first server).

But much more important is quality of food, and that was just great. Not too spicy or modish but just good food, properly prepared.