“Solid, efficient, bland but comfortable”
Review of Cumulus Oulu Hotel

Cumulus Oulu Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Oulu
nottingham
“Solid, efficient, bland but comfortable”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The facade is bunker-like seventies brick but the inside is agreeably airy and modern. The room I had was more than adequately spacious, clean, neat and well-designed. The breakfast is the standard buffet; the only variation on the usual theme is that the area is rather gloomy and the food not particularly appetising. Nothing memorable stands out about the hotel, but thanks goes to (the initially quizzical) staff for solving the problem of a soft bed by shoving liberal quantities of cardboard under the mattress.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Hotel-Cumulus-Oulu, General Manager at Cumulus Oulu Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Trainsifpossible,
Thank you for your stay with us and having the time to write us a review. I´m glad to hear that your room was clean and also otherwise a good choice for you. We are planning on getting new beds to our hotel in the near future, and hopefully we will see you here again to try how they are. I wish you warmly welcome to Cumulus Oulu!
Best regards, Mari Vepsäläinen, Hotel manager / Cumulus Oulu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Finnish first
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Very basic. Room had no A/C but luckily there was a fan available. Clean bathroom, no amenities except shampoo in a large dispenser unit. Poor breakfast. Rate quite expensive for what you get. Window was to inner yard, very loud at night, could not sleep with window open.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Hotel-Cumulus-Oulu, General Manager at Cumulus Oulu Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear henri_s,
Thank you for staying in our hotel and writing us a review. It´s good to hear that the fan helped you and the bathroom was clean. I´m happy to tell you that starting from the 1st of August we have more amenities available in our Cumulus Superior rooms (Shampoo, Conditioner, Shower Gel, Body Lotion and Facial Cream). It might be a good room choice for you next time as we hope to see you soon again!
Best regards, Mari Vepsäläinen, Hotel manager / Cumulus Oulu

Travellers are raving about these Oulu hotels

Elimäki, Southern Finland, Finland
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Reception personell was friendly, but unexperienced, and couldn't find information about airmails as there was confusion shoul I be earning airmails or not, as I booked using booking.com.
Frequent customer points are not granted using this booking method, there is no information available about this anywhere!
We were travelling with two large dogs and hotel charged only 10€ for them, when competitor was charging 20e per dog per night! This was very affordable, and we were given large towel for dogs to sleep on.
Also parking was free of charge and was very secure.
pool and sauna were nice and peaceful and free of charge, breakfast really nice and there was plenty of organic items to choose from.
overall pleasant stay and I would certainly use this hotel again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Anja J,
Thank you for your stay and having the time to write us a review. I´m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Exceeding customer expectations makes us happy. We have shared the information with our staff concerning Frequent Customer Points earning and there shouldn´t be any confusion with them in the future. Have a nice summer and warmly welcome to Cumulus Oulu again!
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel had everything I expect from a nice hotel. It was very clean, had nice rooms, friendly employees and the breakfast was great. It also had a cozy bar in the first floor. They also had saunas that were available for use, though I did not try them.
Again - everything you would expect from a good hotel!

• Stayed July 2014
Hotel-Cumulus-Oulu, Front Office Manager at Cumulus Oulu Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hello Kristian K. Thank you for your visit at our hotel and for taking the time to write us a lovely review. I’m so pleased you liked our hotel and you feel you received great service. I' so happy to pass your kind greetings to all our staff. We hope to see you again soon! Best Regards, Mimmi Jokitalo, Shift Manager
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Location was very good, walking distance from the center and Rotuaari. This was the best thing about the hotel.

The hotel itself was very dated. Rooms were quite ok, but nothing special. Breakfast was quite ok, but nothing special. Service was good, but nothing special :)

So everything was average. It is similar when you taste something and it is not bad, but it is not good either and afterwards you do not remember anything about it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel-Cumulus-Oulu, Front Office Manager at Cumulus Oulu Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Mosqito, Thank you for staying with us and taking time to write us a review. I’m really happy to hear that you found our location good. Sorry to hear that you found our service and breakfast just average. Hopefully next time we could make your visit with us more memorable. We hope to see you soon again! Best regards, Mimmi Jokitalo, Shift Manager
Honeymooners
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I don't really understand the comments written here on the reviews. I really enjoyed my stay at Cumulus, lovely shower, comfortable bed, free WiFi, great opportunity to discover the Finnish breakfast, very helpful staff. These are all I ever want from a hotel and not unnecessary frills that knock up the price like crazy. I didn't try the sauna as left my bathing gear at home but looked good. Certainly I will come here again if I ever come for holiday as it was very interesting visiting Oulu on business.

Room Tip: I guess couples if they came may want to choose the higher ranked room for more space. I came on my...