“Probably the best place in Amorgos”

Aegialis Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aegiali
Athens, Greece
“Probably the best place in Amorgos”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

The hotel is very big regarding the style of the island, so it's a perfect choice for someone who needs to relax and enjoy the beauty of the Aegean islands. The room was cozy and stylish as well as the bathroom. It was clean, yet the chambermaid could be more careful about it considering the style and the price of this hotel. The pool was very large and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Natalie made our stay there very pleasant! The breakfast was fantastic as well as the Ambrosia restaurant. It is certainly a perfect place to stay when visiting Amorgos.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GeorgeV84
StamatisAegialis, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Aegialis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Aegialis Hotel & Spa.
I am pleased to read you enjoyed our facilities as well as your accommodation and would particularly like to thank you for pointing out the quality of Ambrosia Restaurant.
We invest a lot of our energy in offering the best to our guests and I'm glad Natali participated in making your stay more special.
I deeply regret to hear the cleanliness was not completely upon your expectations and can assure you it will be taken into consideration by the concerned Managers.
I look forward to your next stay with us.
With my best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Greek first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We visited Aegialis last July. It was magnificent. The view is great! The stuff really helpful. The breakfast superb. It is only 5 minutes from the village . The rooms very comfortable.
We will visit Aegialis in our next trip to Greece.
Highly recommended! !

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank little p
I am thankful for your kind, flatterring review regarding your stay at Aegialis Hotel & Spa.
We do our utmost to please our guests and I am glad to hear that we have achieved our aim.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kindest regards,
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This is a very good hotel with a wonderful view on Aegialis.
I was there in April and everything was perfect, partly because it was low season -- I wonder if, in high season, it becomes too crowded, especially the pool and outdoor areas...

Breakfast was excellent, with home-made pastries.

A car is necessary, because the village is not at walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Monica C
StamatisAegialis, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Aegialis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Kalimera,

Thank you for your review and for taking time to write on Tripadvisor.
We are glad to read you enjoyed your stay and the whole team provided you with all the best services!
Visiting the island in low season is always the best amazing nature and quietness but high season in Amorgos and at Aegialis Hotel & Spa is still very relaxing and enjoyable!
Amorgos is a remoted island and its high season can't be compared to any other places...
We also would like to thank you for pointing out the quality of the breakfast and its home-made pastries.
We hope to welcome you back soon,
Best regards,
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

the location is fantastic, with one of the nicest views from our balcony and the pool, of anywhere we've ever stayed. Room was excellent as was the breakfast, (loved the fresh orange maker), had a quick look in the spa and gym which looked impressive, but didn't try it. Some of the fittings were a bit worn and it wasn't as clean as some cheaper hotels we've stayed in, but really enjoyed our stay. Our one gripe was the high price charged for the transfer from the port, as every other hotel we've stayed at on the islands has provided this free of charge. It would be a good idea to have the minibus running to the village and back 4 times a day at set times. All in all a very nice hotel on a beautiful island.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such positive feedback regarding Aegialis Hotel & Spa!
We love to pamper all of our guests and I am glad to hear that you were delighted by your experience.
As we always take guests' comments in great consideration I would also like to thank you for your advice.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Kindest regards from Amorgos,
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We spent 6 days at the hotel. The view is the only really positive thing. It is breath taking , the structure dominates from the hill of the beautyful aegiali bay. The negative counter part is that the hotel does not provide his clients with a shuttle service to aegiali which means that if you want to go to the beach below you have to climb the hill up and down numeorus times a day. We counted 8 km daily walking. Sure if you want to lose weight, you will be very successful. THe hotel shows signs of decadence and would need a general renovation.

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank Fedegine
StamatisAegialis, Guest Relations Manager at Aegialis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Dear Guest,

I'd like to thank you for sharing your experience as every guest impression is valuable.
I am though very sorry to read you were disappointed by your stay.
Indeed we do not propose a shuttle service as public buses are passing several times per day in front of the hotel so you don't have to walk up all the time.
Also I would like to precise the walk down to the beach is a 5-10 minutes walk and that even if the way up is more tiring, to reach the 8km daily walking you should have go up and down at least four times per day.... (the hotel is 1km away from the port).
Regarding the "signs of decadence", I would very much like the opportunity to have more details, therefore can I kindly ask you, to contact Mr Giannakopoulos – Hotel Manager, who would be delighted to hear from you at your convenience.
With our kindest regards,
Aust, Qld
Reviewed 5 August 2013

For months I planned to have my birthday on Amorgos Island with an open invitation to my friends. To my surprise and delight 25 came and partied. Aegialis Hotel and Spa were incredible - they patiently dealt with the changes in numbers as more and more accepted and booked in for 3-7 nights. They surprised us with room upgrades and welcomed us all like long lost relatives (I am an Australian born Greek).

We all had time to relax and unwind and enjoy the rugged beauty of the island and explore the villages and beaches. Many indulged in the offerings at the Spa, including a hairdresser and my friend Mila T in a prior review mentioned yoga. The hydrotherapy pool and jacuzzi were lovely.

However, what I will never forget is the stunning setting for my birthday party. Set by the pool overlooking the bay, we had delicious food and wine as the sunset and the moon rose. My greatest surprise were the fireworks set off later in the evening - compliments of the hotel. And the solo violin performance by Stamatis left us all quite awe-struck. We danced all night and the next day I enjoyed a "recovery" massage in the Spa by Eleni (compliments of my daughter and her friend).

There is so much to say about this fabulous hotel - as Mila T below mentioned about their care for our friend who was injured and the staff who looked out for her while she recuperated over several days, through to their professionalism in planning and their enthusiasm in making sure my celebration was special.

A call-out aslo to the lovely staff who waited on us daily as we lazed by the swimming pool. A cold glass of water with a smile as soon as we reclined on the sun lounges and who became friends over the course of the week, as did the breakfast staff.

I chose Amorgos because I had been told that it was not overly touristy. Even though the hotel caters to tourists, the Island has authenticity, tradition, dignity and self sufficiency that I hope it doesn't lose as more people discover this unique place.

The musicians playing rembetiko in the alleyway off a cafe in Langhada was another highlight.

Irene, you have a very special place and I hope it won't be too long before we return. Next time I will come in the spring or autumn to trek and explore.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank EerwahVale
StamatisAegialis, Directeur général at Aegialis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Kalimera dear friend,
Once again HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
As I wrote to Mila T below, it was a real pleasure to welcome all of you and I'm more than glad to read you enjoyed your stay so much!
I'm more than pleased to hear our services met your expectations and I can assure you that nice comments like yours are very appreciated by our staff members. We had to offer you something special for this special day of yours and I'm happy to see you'll remember your party in Amorgos for some time. It was indeed a beautiful evening...

Amorgos is as you understood a very particular place, still well preserved and I 'm happy to see you appreciated its natural beauty and magical atmosphere (and the incredible rembetiko nights...)
You would love spring and autumn, it is the perfect time for treking: flowers, amazing colours and sunsets, quietness...

Once again thank you for your nice words and we look forward welcoming you back soon,
With all our kindest regards,
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We arrived one day early due to one of the members of our travel party having had a severe knock on the head in a boating accident. The team at the Aegialis Hotel could not have helped more. They were solicitous and very caring. The owner/manager Irene, is a genuine and extremely helpful person which cascades throughout the staff. The position of the hotel is fabulous and I arranged to have private yoga lessons every morning in the most beautiful yoga studio that I've even been too. The spa also has fabulous treatments, with skilled staff and a wonderful hydro therapy pool. I cannot thank the staff enough for their service from the kitchen, to the pool bar, to the restaurants and the spa. Thanks for a wonderful time.

Room Tip: If you want privacy there are rooms near the spa that are away from the hotel, there are also studio...