“Greek Island Hoping - Amorgas”

Aegialis Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aegiali
Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Greek Island Hoping - Amorgas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

First class accommodation with the best bathroom I have experienced in Greece. The location is quiet with spectacular views. The dining area also has exceptional views. The restaurant provides unusual greek cuisine prepared to a high standard but can be noisy and slow if there are large groups in attendance. The poolside pizza and pasta restaurant by the pool is superb a provides an excellent alternative to the dining room. The restaurant staff could have been more accommodating when a problem with an order occurred but this did not detract from our overall experience.

Room Tip: Try Room 102
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LancashireYiannis
StamatisAegialis, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Aegialis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience on your recent stay in our property.
I am more that pleased to hear that you enjoyed your holidays and your compliments have been forwarded to our Chef.
I would specially like to thank you for mentioning your satisfaction regarding both of our restaurants (Ambrosia Gallery Restaurant and Nick's Pizza) but also about our rooms and bathroom.
I much regret the exceptional incident with the Restaurant staff, please rest assure it doesn't represent our standard services.
We are pleased though to see you keep so good memories of Aegialis Hotel & Spa and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
Yours sincerely,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Aegialis is perched above the beautiful Aegialis bay, with spectacular views, an exceptional, top-notch staff and 5 star amenities including the wonderful on-site restaurant, Ambrosia, and a spa with gym and yoga studio. The hotel property itself is lovely, and is quite sprawling. From afar, and in the night especially, it actually looks like its own hilltop village unto itself (which some may see as a pro or con depending on your personal travel style and tastes). There is a beautiful and large pool with plenty of sunbeds, and the main floor near reception has plenty of seating indoors and outdoors for relaxing. The yoga pavilion is superb--the most serene and scenic place one could imagine doing yoga. And the yoga itself was fantastic. When I was there, Sol's daughter was teaching (Ophelia) and I had an incredible 3 days of intense practice in a beautiful space and met some great people. The spa itself has many amenities including steamroom and saunas which guests can use free of charge.

The room I stayed in was not particularly large, but was comfortable, and was cleaned daily. The decor is fine-nothing to write home about, but sufficiently pleasant. The only drawback to my room was that because of the beautiful landscaping on my vernanda, I was unable to keep the doors open at night due to the many friendly insects that wanted to make their way inside. Other than that my stay was very comfortable.

The location of the hotel makes for beautiful views, but as other travelers have commented, having a car is quite helpful as it far from town. There are stairs that lead you down a quicker path to the main Aegialis beach, but you still have about a 10-15 minute walk depending on your stride and capability to the main beach, and then a couple minutes more to town. There is a closer, smaller beach (the name is escaping me) to the hotel, which is closer, but is a steep descent down to the water via stairs/path. But once you are there, there is a funky little beach bar/cafe, and I found the water to be much cleaner than in Aegialis (which was surprisingly a little bit littered for Greek standards).

Unless you are a hiker, or looking to just enjoy the hotel and the immediate beaches, a car makes the stay at the hotel more enjoyable because you are free to explore the island on your own schedule. I was not bold enough to venture into town at night by foot on the dark roads by myself. The staff at the hotel are truly top notch and will advise and make arrangements as needed. They could not have been more professional or helpful. They made car arrangements for me with FM Rent a Car and secured a terrific automatic car (not always easy in EU).

The hotel is relatively close to the lovely villages of Tholaria (which is a vigorous uphill walk on the paved road) as well as Langada, which has some good tavernas and even some nightlife from what I heard. Both villages have beautiful scenic views. The main port of Aegialis has several good tavernas and bars itself and the staff at the hotel are very helpful in making recommendations. The on-site restaurant is not to be overlooked--the food here was outstanding. And the breakfast buffet quite good and very generous in terms of your options.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

1 Thank yniko
StamatisAegialis, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Aegialis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
You say terrific hotel, I answer terrific comment!!!
Thank you so much of all your compliments and detailed experience.
I am really glad to read you enjoyed each facility we propose as well as the Yoga classes. Indeed the Yoga Shala is ideally situated to conduct classes facing the picturesque bay and to offer an incredible environment to reach healthy body and mind. Ophelia is a very good teacher and very attentive - I'll share your words with her of course.
I am also happy to see you've been visiting the island, the different villages (each one of them really has its own personality) and of course the beaches (Levrosos is the one with the "funky" restaurant).
To finish I would like to particularly thank you for pointing out the qualiy of our Restaurant Ambrosia and the professionalism of our staff.
We do our utmost to please our guests and I am glad to hear that we have achieved our aim.
We hope to welcome you back soon to wonderful Amorgos,
With all our best regards,
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Amorgos was our favourite island in the Cyclades, and that had a lot to do with our stay at beautiful Aegialis Hotel with its magical setting- away from tourist crowds, lovely rooms, and traditional hospitality. We had sweeping views of Aegialis Bay and mountains from our beautiful airy room, and from every public area of the hotel. We could easily have spent all day relaxing around the enormous swimming pool, but we managed to peel off the sunbeds to check out the nearby hiking trails and little coves and beaches just down the hill from the hotel.
After a full active day of hiking and scootering around exploring the rugged landscape and unspoiled swimming coves, it was just divine to come back to the luxury of our big comfortable bed or flop into sumptuous lounge chairs on the dining terrace. The buffet breakfast was generous and had healthy options which we appreciated, as well as delicious cooked dishes.
We loved the more creative, modern dishes on the menu at the hotel's restaurant - refreshing change from the tasty but standard Greek fare found in everywhere in Greece.
My partner bought me a spa package as birthday present- we had treatments together- sublime- with more views from the hotel's huge spa area. We where spoiled- felt like royalty.
Its was my second visit to this island and hotel- I went on my own - a single girl the the first time, and was so blown away that I promised myself I would go back with a partner someday. It was even better than I remembered.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea view but ask for room with private balcony rather than terrace- some rooms have t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

What an wonderful and touching comment!
I am really proud to read your flattering words regarding all department of the hotel. Reading your compliments about Ambrosia Restaurant, the SPA Treatments, the room arrangement and the outdoor swimming pool is a real pleasure.
But I am glad you managed to peel off the sunbeds to visit Amorgos as we love it and wish our guest to discover its magic.
Amorgos is a very particular place, still well preserved and I 'm happy to see you appreciate its natural beauty and atmosphere.
I was very touched by your story "with" Aegialis Hotel & SPA and hope to see you again to create more souvenirs and beautiful stories...
Once again thank you for your beautiful comment,
With all our kindest regards
Oakdale, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Couldn't have asked for anything better--beautiful rooms, spectacular views of the harbor, great food, and, best of all, very personable and friendly staff. Our hiking guide, Stavros, was excellent, and then he was there to hand out towels at the pool. We also thoroughly enjoyed the Greek music in the evening.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reading such comment is the only valuable reward!!
Thank you so much for your wonderful words.
It was very nice to welcome all of you and to see you discovering the natural beauty of Amorgos!
On behalf of the whole team I thank you again and hope to welcome you back in Amorgos for more hiking and Greek Night.
With all our kindest regards,
aegina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

The Aegialis Hotel & Spa has it all. The hotel is situated on an unique location with the most fantastic sea view. The huge swimmingpool with comfortable sunbeds and many shaded places it the perfect area to relax. The view from the breakfast/ restaurant terrace is really stunning. The breakfast buffet is rich and delicious. The restaurant is serving quality food for good prices. The spa is beautiful and great for recharging your batteries. All the personel in hotel is very friendly and service minded you really feel welcome! The rooms are comfortable with great seaview. The island itself is amazing with so many lovely spots. It is easy to explore with a rental car.

Room Tip: End of August - beginning of September is a perfect time to visit. Not to busy on the island and lov...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for your wonderful comment.
I'm glad to read you enjoyed your stay and that you appreciated all our facilities.
It is delightful to us to read such good words regarding our high standard of services.
I would specially like to thank you for mentioning your satisfaction regarding our rooms, Ambrosia Restaurant and our staff.
Amorgos is indeed an incredible island and if you enjoyed it in September, I suggest next time you visit to come in spring when it is so colorful with flowers and a lot traditional celebrations.
We look forward welcoming you back very soon.
Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

The rooms are large and very comfortable, the saltwater pool is fabulous, there's a spa, and also a huge, very comfy sitting area with overstuffed chairs and a small library of books you can borrow. There's an excellent on-site restaurant. The only downside to this place is that it's perched way up on a hill on the other side of the bay from town - so it's a long walk to get to Aegali's sandy beach, or to do souvenir shopping in town. Plan on having a rental car or scooter if you want to stay here. The hotel can arrange transport to and from town for you, but it's just easier to have your own vehicle.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
StamatisAegialis, Guest Relations Manager at Aegialis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you so much for your beautiful comment.
I'm really glad to read you enjoyed your stay and that you appreciated all our facilities.
Buses stopping working end of September we indeed usually recommend to rent a car or a scooter to access more easily the port (10-15mn walk) but also to discover the island.
Once again I thank you for reviewing us and recommending TripAdvisor surfers to come over to Aegialis Hotel & Spa.
We look forward to welcome you back to Amorgos.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We just loved everything about this hotel. Our comfortable, clean room with views to die for. Our bed was the most comfortable bed we'd slept on whilst on our travels. The breakfast was a very nice buffet style and dinners we had at the restaurant there were delicious...very reasonably priced too. The pool area was gorgeous and we were looked after well by all staff at the hotel. Such a great place to wind down and totally relax. Amorgos is a beautiful island and we would love to return one day and stay at this hotel. Thank you to Irene and staff for there warmth.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
StamatisAegialis, Guest Relations Manager at Aegialis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words.
It is a true pleasure to read you had a memorable moment with us!
I am very pleased to see you enjoyed all facilities and services we offer and would specially like to thank you for mentioning your satisfaction regarding our rooms, Ambrosia Restaurant and our staff.
Amorgos is indeed a beautiful island and I suggest next time you visit to come in spring when it is so colourfull with flowers and a lot of celebrations.
We look forward welcoming you back very soon.
Kindest regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aegiali
Vigla Hotel
#7 of 12 in Amorgos
Lakki Village
Lakki Village
#5 of 8 in Aegiali

Been to Aegialis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!