“Home from home but with more luxury”

Aegialis Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aegiali
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The hotel, although large, doesn't feel huge and impersonal because of the very clever planning. Rooms are grouped and all of them have the most amazing views over the bay. It is stunningly beautiful. The bed was blissfully comfortable - and I generally have a lot of trouble getting comfortable in strange beds - and everywhere was immaculately clean.

Nothing is too much trouble for the staff of this hotel and they, as well as the owner, seem genuinely glad to welcome you and for you to make the most of your stay on this stunning island. If you need just to sit and relax, in addition to your balcony there are swimming pools (indoor and outdoor) and terraces as well as a Spa. Flowers are absolutely everywhere, trailing down walls, over arches, in pots and beds. It's an easy walk down the mountain to the little town at the beach of the bay, where no-one minds you sitting for two hours over a single cup of coffee, stunned into silence by the beauty and tranquillity.

I came for a yoga retreat, and was therefore on a sort of package so my stay was half board. I would suggest anyone doing this starves themselves for a week beforehand as the food was wonderful and very, very plentiful. When we arrived (collected from the port at 3.30 in the morning), we were welcomed with local cakes and wine by the owner and her family. With half board, one 'eats Amorgan' in the evenings. That means many courses of the set menu, most of which is grown in the organic gardens of the hotel, and it's absolutely delicious. In the space of nearly three weeks, I don't think chef repeated himself once. Breakfasts are to die for and cater for both British and European tastes.

Would I recommend it? You bet I would. Would I go back? Certainly, and more than once.

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the bay, but if you are higher up, you see more.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
StamatisAegialis, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Aegialis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Anna,

Such nice words!!! Thank you so much of all your compliments and detailed experience.
I am really glad to read you enjoyed so much your trip. Indeed Aegialis Hotel & Spa as well as the Yoga Shala are ideally situated facing the picturesque bay and offering the perfect environment to reach healthy body and mind.
I am also happy to see we manage to make you feel like home.. It'is one of the best compliment we could receive.
To finish I would like to particularly thank you for pointing out the quality of our Restaurant Ambrosia and the professionalism of our staff.
We do our utmost to please our guests and I am glad to read that we have achieved our aim.
We'll be waiting for your return,
With all our best regards and wishes for 2014,

Reviewed 30 November 2013

This hotel is beautiful, there is no doubting that. The room we had was large and really nice. When we arrived, the staff were friendly and we were really impressed. However, a number of things made me very disappointed. This is advertised as a wellness hotel.

On our first night at the hotel the owner had her grandchildren there (i guess) and they were screaming and shouting (not just the children either) and the children were bashing around on the piano downstairs. Now, I know you cannot stop children having fun, we're a young couple and not much phases us, but this was until past midnight and it only stopped after I went down to complain. Not really the honeymoon setting. This noise was also on the other nights, despite my complaints. I've never ever been in a hotel and experienced this. In my opinion this is something you do in your own house, not in your hotel where guests are paying a lot of money to stay there.

The water was not hot when we arrived, but hey I can forgive that. I asked them to fix it and they did. In my opinion this was far away from a wellness hotel, if I have to complain at the front desk more than once, it is not a good sign. Overall, really disappointed unfortunately.

I would however like to say that the spa was excellent and the staff were superb.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
StamatisAegialis, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Aegialis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Josie,

Thank you for all your nice words regarding Aegialis Hotel & Spa.
I'm very happy to read you enjoyed our rooms, the location, Lalon Idor Spa and of course our staff.
Aegialis Hotel & Spa is a wellness hotel and is recognize from Yoga centers from all around the word partly for this special feature.
What you describe was a unique yet unpleasant event. Τhe kids mentioned were not related to the hotel's family but to some other guests. Indeed there was a noise problem during their presence at the restaurant and even though the staff of the hotel repeatedly asked their parents to be more discreet, apparently they were unsuccessful...
I deeply regret the incident as it is absolutely not representative of our standard services.
Though, as it seems you liked the place and all the facilities of the hotel, I would be happy to make it up to you and prove differently in the near future.
Looking forward to welcoming you back to Amorgos,

Best regards,

Reviewed 28 November 2013

We went back to Amorgos ten years after our last visit.
It was amazing that the owners, remembered us and were very pleased to see us.
The Spa at Aegialis Hotel, was a very pleasant surprise and we enjoyed it a lot.
Marianna, Kalliovi and Eleni at Lalon Idor Spa, are very good.
We had the best sleep ever in a hotel. The mattresses were fantastic.
Breakfast was excellent, with many local homemade pies, cakes and bread, and the most breath taking views,
The staff was very pleasant all the time. We really felt like coming back home.
We can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: We liked room 105, the new Junior Suite.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
StamatisAegialis, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Aegialis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Maria,

Thank you so much for your beautiful comment.
It was a real pleasure to welcome you back after so many years and to see you still enjoyed the island and our hotel.
Indeed in ten years many things have change in Aegialis Hotel & SPA and I'm glad you appreciated all our new facilities such as Lalon Idor SPA and mostly that you felt back home.
I would specially like to thank you for mentioning your satisfaction regarding our rooms and their sleep quality but also our Greek Breakfast with organic and homemade products.
On behalf of the whole team I thank you again and hope to welcome you back in Amorgos (maybe sooner this time...)
With all our kindest regards,

Reviewed 20 October 2013

First class accommodation with the best bathroom I have experienced in Greece. The location is quiet with spectacular views. The dining area also has exceptional views. The restaurant provides unusual greek cuisine prepared to a high standard but can be noisy and slow if there are large groups in attendance. The poolside pizza and pasta restaurant by the pool is superb a provides an excellent alternative to the dining room. The restaurant staff could have been more accommodating when a problem with an order occurred but this did not detract from our overall experience.

Room Tip: Try Room 102
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LancashireYiannis
StamatisAegialis, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Aegialis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience on your recent stay in our property.
I am more that pleased to hear that you enjoyed your holidays and your compliments have been forwarded to our Chef.
I would specially like to thank you for mentioning your satisfaction regarding both of our restaurants (Ambrosia Gallery Restaurant and Nick's Pizza) but also about our rooms and bathroom.
I much regret the exceptional incident with the Restaurant staff, please rest assure it doesn't represent our standard services.
We are pleased though to see you keep so good memories of Aegialis Hotel & Spa and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Aegialis is perched above the beautiful Aegialis bay, with spectacular views, an exceptional, top-notch staff and 5 star amenities including the wonderful on-site restaurant, Ambrosia, and a spa with gym and yoga studio. The hotel property itself is lovely, and is quite sprawling. From afar, and in the night especially, it actually looks like its own hilltop village unto itself (which some may see as a pro or con depending on your personal travel style and tastes). There is a beautiful and large pool with plenty of sunbeds, and the main floor near reception has plenty of seating indoors and outdoors for relaxing. The yoga pavilion is superb--the most serene and scenic place one could imagine doing yoga. And the yoga itself was fantastic. When I was there, Sol's daughter was teaching (Ophelia) and I had an incredible 3 days of intense practice in a beautiful space and met some great people. The spa itself has many amenities including steamroom and saunas which guests can use free of charge.

The room I stayed in was not particularly large, but was comfortable, and was cleaned daily. The decor is fine-nothing to write home about, but sufficiently pleasant. The only drawback to my room was that because of the beautiful landscaping on my vernanda, I was unable to keep the doors open at night due to the many friendly insects that wanted to make their way inside. Other than that my stay was very comfortable.

The location of the hotel makes for beautiful views, but as other travelers have commented, having a car is quite helpful as it far from town. There are stairs that lead you down a quicker path to the main Aegialis beach, but you still have about a 10-15 minute walk depending on your stride and capability to the main beach, and then a couple minutes more to town. There is a closer, smaller beach (the name is escaping me) to the hotel, which is closer, but is a steep descent down to the water via stairs/path. But once you are there, there is a funky little beach bar/cafe, and I found the water to be much cleaner than in Aegialis (which was surprisingly a little bit littered for Greek standards).

Unless you are a hiker, or looking to just enjoy the hotel and the immediate beaches, a car makes the stay at the hotel more enjoyable because you are free to explore the island on your own schedule. I was not bold enough to venture into town at night by foot on the dark roads by myself. The staff at the hotel are truly top notch and will advise and make arrangements as needed. They could not have been more professional or helpful. They made car arrangements for me with FM Rent a Car and secured a terrific automatic car (not always easy in EU).

The hotel is relatively close to the lovely villages of Tholaria (which is a vigorous uphill walk on the paved road) as well as Langada, which has some good tavernas and even some nightlife from what I heard. Both villages have beautiful scenic views. The main port of Aegialis has several good tavernas and bars itself and the staff at the hotel are very helpful in making recommendations. The on-site restaurant is not to be overlooked--the food here was outstanding. And the breakfast buffet quite good and very generous in terms of your options.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank yniko
StamatisAegialis, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Aegialis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

You say terrific hotel, I answer terrific comment!!!
Thank you so much of all your compliments and detailed experience.
I am really glad to read you enjoyed each facility we propose as well as the Yoga classes. Indeed the Yoga Shala is ideally situated to conduct classes facing the picturesque bay and to offer an incredible environment to reach healthy body and mind. Ophelia is a very good teacher and very attentive - I'll share your words with her of course.
I am also happy to see you've been visiting the island, the different villages (each one of them really has its own personality) and of course the beaches (Levrosos is the one with the "funky" restaurant).
To finish I would like to particularly thank you for pointing out the qualiy of our Restaurant Ambrosia and the professionalism of our staff.
We do our utmost to please our guests and I am glad to hear that we have achieved our aim.
We hope to welcome you back soon to wonderful Amorgos,
With all our best regards,

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Amorgos was our favourite island in the Cyclades, and that had a lot to do with our stay at beautiful Aegialis Hotel with its magical setting- away from tourist crowds, lovely rooms, and traditional hospitality. We had sweeping views of Aegialis Bay and mountains from our beautiful airy room, and from every public area of the hotel. We could easily have spent all day relaxing around the enormous swimming pool, but we managed to peel off the sunbeds to check out the nearby hiking trails and little coves and beaches just down the hill from the hotel.
After a full active day of hiking and scootering around exploring the rugged landscape and unspoiled swimming coves, it was just divine to come back to the luxury of our big comfortable bed or flop into sumptuous lounge chairs on the dining terrace. The buffet breakfast was generous and had healthy options which we appreciated, as well as delicious cooked dishes.
We loved the more creative, modern dishes on the menu at the hotel's restaurant - refreshing change from the tasty but standard Greek fare found in everywhere in Greece.
My partner bought me a spa package as birthday present- we had treatments together- sublime- with more views from the hotel's huge spa area. We where spoiled- felt like royalty.
Its was my second visit to this island and hotel- I went on my own - a single girl the the first time, and was so blown away that I promised myself I would go back with a partner someday. It was even better than I remembered.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea view but ask for room with private balcony rather than terrace- some rooms have t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

What an wonderful and touching comment!
I am really proud to read your flattering words regarding all department of the hotel. Reading your compliments about Ambrosia Restaurant, the SPA Treatments, the room arrangement and the outdoor swimming pool is a real pleasure.
But I am glad you managed to peel off the sunbeds to visit Amorgos as we love it and wish our guest to discover its magic.
Amorgos is a very particular place, still well preserved and I 'm happy to see you appreciate its natural beauty and atmosphere.
I was very touched by your story "with" Aegialis Hotel & SPA and hope to see you again to create more souvenirs and beautiful stories...
Once again thank you for your beautiful comment,
With all our kindest regards

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Couldn't have asked for anything better--beautiful rooms, spectacular views of the harbor, great food, and, best of all, very personable and friendly staff. Our hiking guide, Stavros, was excellent, and then he was there to hand out towels at the pool. We also thoroughly enjoyed the Greek music in the evening.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reading such comment is the only valuable reward!!
Thank you so much for your wonderful words.
It was very nice to welcome all of you and to see you discovering the natural beauty of Amorgos!
On behalf of the whole team I thank you again and hope to welcome you back in Amorgos for more hiking and Greek Night.
With all our kindest regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aegiali
Vigla Hotel
#5 of 12 in Amorgos
Yperia Hotel
Yperia Hotel
#4 of 41 in Amorgos

Been to Aegialis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!