“unusual experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aegiali
Warsaw
“unusual experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2008

At the beginning of October I took part in the fantastic family event of my friends - wedding of their son, which was held on Amorgos in Aegialis hotel. And it was really one of the most unusual experiences in my life. The road from Poland, where I live, to Amorgos is long (plane and then ferry), but I don't regret that I made it. And there were also guests from USA, France and Argentyna, who also enjoyed this event very much. Unfortunately my English is too poor, to describe everything as I feel it. But I'll try to describe some details. When the ferry came to the Aegiali port about 1 a.m., we (there were also other guests for this wedding) were met by 2 drivers and the manager of the hotel just in the port and taken by buses to the hotel, which was situated about 5-7 minuts by bus from the port. In the hotel we were met by several employers who very quickly gave keys to the rooms for everybody and helped us to find our rooms and with our baggage. I was pleasently surprised by their good organization, because ttere were a great mass of people who came to the hotel at the same time. And I was also surprised by very kind invitation in the hotel with local sweets and drinks at that late time. It was a very good idea, because some people who had slept at the boat didn't want to sleep at that moment, so we spent nice time speaking and making acquaintance, having such good refreshments. I was not afraid to be late to breakfest because we were told, that food would be in the restraunt in any time from the morning till dinner. I was in Aegialis hotel from Tuesday till Monday (wedding was on Saturday) and every day food was organized in such a way, which was very good for those who waked up early in the morning (in this situation 9 a.m. it was early), as well as for those who wanted to sleep more.
I liked my room very much. It was prepaired very well and was cleaned every day - everything was on very high level. Of course I have a wonderful view from my balcony, as each room in this hotel has a view on the sea. All the guests in this hotel at that time came on wedding, so we didn't get irritated because of music or some noise till midnight or even later, it was normal in this situation and it is a specific charaster of Greek style of life.
The staff of the hotel was very kind and attentive to all my needs and questions. I liked the working atmosphere in this hotel: as I noticed everybody, no matter a manager, a driver or a receptionist, did every work they could, if it was necessory. And there were a lot of not everyday works, I think, during prepairing of wedding party for more than 100 guests.
We had the opportunity to visit a room for newly-weds - it was wonderful, with nice bed and jaccuzzi in the bathroom, and it was lovely decorated.
The wedding party was fantastic! It was organized outside, near the pool. Everything was decorated with white and green colors, a lot of flowers, lights, special lanterns with candles inside on each table. In the evening and at night it looked magic. But for me, accustomed to "north" culture and traditions the most fantastic was atmosphere - an energy of this place or maybe air, or of this specific culture of enjoying life, which made everybody feel himself free of any barieers! We had such jolly time! We danced till 6 a.m.! Nobody put attention to some problems with wind or with little place for dancing. There were Greek musicians who were playing without brakes - it seemed that they were nor tired playing and singing the whole night long. And most of the guests didn't feel themselves tired or sleepy. I think, the newly-married couple and their parents were happy to have such fantastic wedding. And I was very happy to take part in it, to "touch" their happyness, but also to see such good organization and to spend fantastic time in Aegialis hotel.

Luda

• Liked — place, view, room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Greek first
ReLoc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2008

Having searched the various sights looking for an ideal hotel in a peaceful location, the reviews 'give or take' this hotel & spa seemed to meet all our needs.
Upon arrival at the hotel, we waited over one hour for the room, even though our friends had checked in after us.
We were taken to a room which appeared to have through traffic going back and forth right outside the room.
The room itself looked as though it had been used. The bed linen was heavily soiled, including pillows.
The bathroom just had a shower tray, no curtain, the wc had not been flushed and the sink with dripping taps. We thought OK, some places in the Greek Islands have basic facilities, but the towels looked like they had just wiped the floor.
We thought that there must have been a mistake, so we went to report this to reception and to change our room to one that we thought we had seen and booked over the internet. The receptionist immediately dismissed our concerns regarding this, so we said we had to move from this room as there was not even facilities such as a telephone or television. She said maybe the next day.
Our questions, apart from the obvious written above, was why we had no ventilation (A/C unit kept stopping), unable to open the window and as soon as you stepped out of the door, your feet got wet by a down water waste from somewhere.
We were situated above the pool area and the music was constantly playing, even when we tried to sleep that night.
After a restless and uncomfortable night, we went to reception to enquire again about changing to a quiet room that we requested and went to see another room after breakfast.
We presume the second room was a standard room (no frills), but it had facilities and a balcony to sit out on, plus no music piping through your mind.
We went touring the following day round the island and after sunset, we decided to visit the spa to unwind.
First impressions - OK, but needs some thought put into it. They said it had only been open for one year and already there was serious signs of black mould and dampness appearing in the main areas as well as the changing areas. This is not good as far as health and safety is concerned.
When we checked out, we were astonished to find that they were charging full price for the room which was not suitable for any tourist and asked them to reduce the amount - this they were reluctant to do, they were more concerned in getting the guests onto the bus to take us to port.
If the ferry was running more frequently at that time, we think we would have only stayed for a two night maximum!
Certainly not what we had expected. A great shame. The hoteliers really need to get their heads together and create a haven, not an awful experience!

• Liked — Nothing springs to mind
  • Disliked — Tired, dirty and in need of renovations
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank Gemmoni
england
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2008

After looking at their website my husband & I booked 6 nights in an Exclusive Room (@ 200 euro per night B&B) directly with the Aegialis Hotel. On arrival we were shown a room, it had an unpleasant strong smell. We were then shown a further 2 rooms, they all smelt the same, so we chose one hoping once aired the smell would go away. It didn't and when we went to bed we horrified to find the bed was damp - very damp! The whole room was damp. The 5/6 Exclusive rooms are quite new & above them is a new spa building with indoor pool - it must be leaking into the ground behind the rooms. After a dreadful night with little sleep the following morning we complained at reception. Straight away the problem was dismissed and we were told rather rudely with much arm waving that the damp was due to the hotel being near to the sea! Our complaint was only taken seriously when we said we wanted to report the problem to the tourist police. The manager then appeared and after some discussion told us if we wanted to leave we would have to pay a cancellation charge! We did speak on the phone to the regular police who although sympathetic said there was nothing they could do. Then we left the hotel and found something much better - on another island. When we returned home I e-mailed the hotel - I did not receive a reply. I am now making a complaint against the hotel through the Greek Tourist Board in London. On the plus side the hotel is in a beautiful location with spectacular views. On the minus side apart from some of the rooms being damp, the pool area is very noisy. We are not planning a return visit!

• Liked — views
  • Disliked — damp bed & noisy pool area
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jerry0
Crete
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2008

Going to this Island was very exciting for my husband and I -- the hotels website is only 1/2 as beautiful as it is in person -- what a lovely place!! we had quiet relaxing mornings with breakfast on out balcony, swimming in the pool was so amazing with the views below! the staff is so nice and attentive and they take pride in the hotel and the delicious food. they make you feel like family. We can;t wait to go back -- thank you for a vacation we will always remember!!!

• Liked — how relaxing I felt
  • Disliked — I was not there long enough
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2008

The hotel has everything you need. It looks amazing from the bay. I was not a fan of the mandatory breakfast, the room rates were a little high for the region, and the beds and linens were terrible. I now know what "thread-bare" means. The only difference between a luxury room and regular room is that there is less furniture in a luxury room? Beds and linens were the same. The bathroom may have been a square foot bigger as well. The cyclades are strange when it comes to lodging, and when you get off the ferries there are tons of people offering "rooms to let". We did well with this method on other islands, but we were getting in late at night to Amorgos and wanted to go with a sure thing.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank girlzzzz
Dorset
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2007

The location is brilliant, stunning views over the bay. We had a superior room and it was lovely. The balcony was a perfect place for an evening drink watching the sunset.
The breakfast was excellent, good choice with some cooked eggs, cake, yoghurt, fruit - full contintental breakfast.
The spa was very nice too.

Now for the not so good points.
The evening meals were expensive, of indifferent quality, and the wine was extortionately priced. The waiting staff were new to the job and completely untrained..
The room was very clean, but the public areas could have done with more attention. Glass round the pool area was not swept up even after it had been pointed out to the management. There were no cushions on the sunbeds. The general impression of the terraces and outside areas was poor.

It's a fair walk to the town, 20 minutes down and more back, and you may need a torch for the walk if you come back along the beach. The restaurants in the port are fine, try the To Limani taverna. You get a great view of the sunset from the cafes on the western side of the port.

All in all, nice enough but not worth the money.

Stayed September 2007
Athens
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2007

I have visited Amorgos island (beautiful island although a little windy) on Aug. 2007. I had the terrible experience of staying (I manage to do this for only 2 nights, because I could not find anywhere a vacancy, fortunatelly I manage that for the rest of 6 nights) in the Cabana rooms "offered" from Aegialis hotel. I am Greek so I have traveled to all the Greek islands and of course stayd to a numerous hotels. THIS WAS THE WORST ROOM I HAVE EVER STAY. Dirty, with bad smell, no light, and beds maybe 20 yrs old... I costs 75€ per night but it doesn't worth even 5€ for such a room. I have tryed several times to change the room with one of the main bulding (very-very expencive approx. 200€ and of course over-estimated), but the lady in the receprion (most propably the owner) didn't even call me back to tell me if the did or did not have any vacancy. Please believe me... there is no hotel such as Aegialis and particulerly CABANA rooms that is first of all OVER-estimated on price, second with such people with such a bad behavior, and third... just AVOID Cabana rooms.

• Liked — It is horrible
  • Disliked — The smell in the room
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank Nikos66
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aegiali
Vigla Hotel
#7 of 12 in Amorgos
Lakki Village
Lakki Village
#5 of 8 in Aegiali

Been to Aegialis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!