“Marvelous”

Aegialis Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aegiali
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 28 September 2009

The friendly staff stayed up until 3 am to pick us up at the harbour. Expect to have the pool to yourselves - enjoy its breathtaking view over Aegiali Bay. Hearthy breakfast with unparalleled view. Rooms with similar views, simple beds. Short walk to the sandy beach. Make a reservation for a hire car to explore the whole island it's worth it. We intend to come back as soon as possible.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 September 2009

We stayed at Aegialis Hotel in Sept. for 4 days. We were very impressed by the Internetsite. Somebody did a really great job! But be carefully it is not reality.
We booked a standard room for the rate of 137€. It was the last days of our 14 days holiday and we wanted to have a really nice end with something special, but it was very disappointing.
The Hotel has a spectacular view, really but it is rundown and for what you really get absolutley overpriced. Our room had old furnitures, nothing very special and the lath floor existed only of loose lath which broke down if you turnd the fast in the bed. The mattress was horrible we had everyday pain in our back, the bedstuff was awful and the courtains were very dirty.
The worst thing was the bathroom. Everything was very small and old. The shower had a plastic courtain which was too big for the small shower. I hate plastic courtains. The bathroom was very disgusting. We even had problems to stand and after taking the shower the bath stood under water.
They have a nice spa area but everything seemed to be not very well cared and very disgusting. It rained the night before and one of the treadmill was full with water, but nobody cared for it.
There is a big pool area but the pool was not cleaned and the pool stuff (chairs, table, sunbeds and pillows) were in a horrible condition. The sunbeds didn´t even had suitable covers. They were from old sofas and disrupted.
Also the curtains ouside the breakfast area were disrupted. Everything seemed to be very run down.
Don´t expect a perfect breakfast. Greece is not a country for breakfast. So it was okay, but greek standard. The restaurant ist okay but the food is nothing outstanding. There are better food options in Aegialis.
Most facilities in greece offer free internet or Wifi on high level nNot the Aegialis. For the use of internet you have to pay and the two computers are very very old and slow.
Take care if you are booking and let everything confirm in a writen way. To avoid a later trouble, bring the documents with you.
The price performance ratio is not correct. You can find something better or even the same standard for half of the price somewhere else on Amorgos.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank RevisorHellas
Reviewed 6 September 2009

We chose to stay in Aegialis hotel as it seemed really nice from their website and it was recommended by almost all travel guides. Reading some bad reviews here in tripadvisor before travelling made us a little worried but we thought that because we were going there off season we would not really face any problems.
Well the hotel is very well - situated and the view is lovely. We stayed in a standard double room which I have to say needed rennovation. I do not know if the new part of the hotel is any better but the room we stayed although spacy and with a nice balcony it was old and not very nicely - decorated. The mattress in our bed was terrible. The worst part was the bathroom with old and badly maintained sanitary ware. The shower curtain was stained with mould on it and generally speaking the whole bathroom looked kind of dirty and usally it smelled bad.
The breakfast was average to bad, most of the times the glasses had a bad smell, tableclothes and plates were often stained and the waitress was not very polite. Of course we did not even think to have dinner at their restaurant.
Something really annoying was that 2 times out of the 6 days we stayed the cleaning people just entered in our room in the morning while we were still asleep without even knocking the door first. One other morning the cleaning lady was sitting outside our door (we had the no disturb sign) waiting for us to open the door and though we did not want to leave the room yet she started saying that she had to do some more cleaning to the other building (!) and if we could let her in to clean our room now!!!! Furthermore the cleaning staff were really noisy early in the morning slamming doors and draging furniture.
All in all of course it is not the worst hotel we have ever stayed but clearly it needs a good rennovation and a change of attitude (a more professional attitude would help) in order to justify the high rates they charge. It seems to us that they want to create a luxurious hotel profile while their service and amenities are really of a much lower level.
In my opinion it is really overpriced and I would recommend to find another accomodation when you visit Amorgos.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank el.di.
Reviewed 28 August 2009

Despite a confirmed reservation in writing, when I arrived at Aigiali harbour at 1:10am, the hotel van was waiting for the guests staying at Aegialis hotel. Then, without any notice, the van took us to a worksite where there was an ugly white house (called the "cabana") near the beach. Upon arrival at this worksite, an employee working for the manager opened the van door and named all guests who had a reservation and were supposed to stay at Aegialis hotel; the named guests were instructed to get off the van and forced to stay for one night in this ugly house because of "a technical problem". All tourists complained strongly. Another employee later came in to calm down the guests who were screaming too much and to explain that the so-called "technical problem" was actually (illegal) overbooking for a group of doctors/physicians and that there was no way for us to stay at Aegialis hotel on the first night since that hotel was fully booked. My friend and I had no other choice than to accept to sleep in the ugly house the first night, since at least there were real beds. It then appeared that we were not able to sleep the whole night because of a disco playing very loud music and the disco's customers screaming in the streets until 7am.

The manager failed to understand that what she did was a breach of contract and the method used was similar to a kidnapping in the middle of the night.

It should be noted that according to the guide book called "Guide du Routard" and other comments on tripadvisor, Aegialis hotel was already mentioned as denying confirmed reservations on a regular basis. The manager rejected the fact that it was a routine practice to deny confirmed reservations but this clashes with the actual facts. Indeed the ugly house in the worksite (the cabana) was owned/rented partly by Aegialis hotel since in the bathroom there were some products with the Aegialis hotel brand name. The manager did not deny it but said that sending customers to this house happens from time to time and that in our case the overbooking was made by a group at the last minute (which I do not believe at all) and she could not contact the guests having a confirmed reservation to warn them (which is wrong because she had my email address).

The truth is that the Blue Star ferry from Athens arrives at Aigiali harbour at 1:10am and departs from that harbour back to Athens at 6:55am. Therefore, it must often happen that in the case that the hotel is fully booked at 1:10am, the manager puts incoming guests in the ugly house (the cabana) between 1:10am and 9am (leaving the time for the guests to check out with the 6:55am ferry). Every time she probably invents an excuse and makes a maximum profit (double charge) on the back of tourists who are under "duress" in the middle of the night either to stay in the ugly house or to sleep on sofas at the official hotel reception. She also told us that for one guest, it was a travel agency's fault not to have sent the reservation in due time. Her imagination is therefore indefinite.

During the stay, we realised that the personnel was not qualified. For example, for spa treatments, there was only one employee without any qualification pretending to do all kinds of treatments. One waiter also cheated with the restaurant bill and the manager later added 2€ because the total amount calculated by the waiter was wrong by 2€. In addition, the bathroom was small and in very bad condition (problems with the toilet flush and a very small shower).

The manager maximising profit to the detriment of quality or customer satisfaction insisted heavily on an excursion around the island for which she charged 30€/person. However, the tour guide was actually the van's driver who could hardly speak English! She failed to warn us about that fact.

The reason for all this attitude is the fact that Aegialis hotel is the only hotel of a high category (4 stars) in the whole island. Being in a quasi-monopoly situation and knowing that most guests will only come once to this remote and not easily accessible island, the manager has a major interest in ripping off customers without incurring many risks. Some smiles and false excuses should resolve many issues. However, the amount of negative comments by independent travellers on the Internet shows that I am not the only one who is not satisfied with her attitude.

Finally, the day before checking-out, the manager illegally refused to issue a bill/invoice. She dragged her feet to do the calculations in the evening before checking out since she would have preferred to take me by surprise the day of check-out 5 minutes before catching the ferry back home and leaving me no time to react to the rip-offs. After insisting heavily for a settlement the day before checking out, the manager confirmed that she would not charge the first night because of the overbooking but still charged 2 breakfasts. She also added 2 € on a restaurant bill so that she could excuse the dishonest waiter who could not calculate the total amount properly. She wrote the total amount on the back of a receipt for drinks and charged the total amount on my credit card. No professionalism and a clear willingness to leave as little evidence as possible.

I would only recommend this hotel in the low season or an earlier arrival during the day (instead of 1am) in order to find alternatives other than the cabana in case the confirmed reservation is denied by the manager.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
16  Thank Eric02
Reviewed 19 December 2008

I don’t use to write at such touristic sites: it’s my first experience. I know, that every person has his own idea about comfort he needs in the hotel, but I hope that my commentary will be of practical use for some people or companies who want to organize some meetings or business events in unusual surrounding and on high level.
Me and my wife took part in the international conference on tourism and culture in May 2008 in Aegialis Hotel. We were very satisfied with the conditions and services in this hotel. And even more: we were really amazed by extraordinary hospitality of hotel’s owners and employers. As the University professor I take part in different conferences very often, and I need to say, that the conference organized in Aegialis Hotel was unusual. Hotel has good conditions to host more than 50 persons. Due to the traditional architecture it looks very “natural” for the island and gives good conditions to find peace when you need it or to be among people in common hall or at the terrace with fantastic views. Conference hall was large enough and it has wonderful atmosphere, not so official as usually. As I understood, Aegialis hotel had some friendly artists from different countries, so there were some exhibitions of painting and photographs at that time in the hotel. Thanks to that being so far from big “centres of civilization” we felt ourselves in the centre of European cultural life. Thanks to managers of the hotel the program of the conference also was organized in non-traditional way: first half of the day was devoted to workshops outside and visiting different places on the island. It was amazing and inspiring as there are a lot of places of interest! And the weather was fantastic at that time of the year! After lunch we had some time for rest and relax. We could use Spa, swimming-pool or walk to the beach. In the afternoon “theoretical” part of the conference started and we had the opportunity to listen to very interesting lectures by local and foreign specialists invited to the conference, as well as to see presentations and some films. There were all necessary advices to organize really very good and diverse conference. In the evening we were invited to some fests with local musicians and dancers. We liked also local food and products, especially cheese, olives and yogurt. And special cooking presentation was organized for us.
I and my wife spent four wonderful days in Aegialis hotel and after this experience we promised to ourselves to come back here in future!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 December 2008

As my grand father from my mother’s site was from Amorgos I decided to visit the island at the middle of November, in order to find out where my house and generally my mother’s property is.
I stayed at Aegialis Hotel & Spa. I made a phone reservation and they where very polite and helpful, as they gave me many information not only about the hotel, but also about the boat schedule and the island.
The boat arrived late at night and the driver of the Hotel was waiting for me at the port to bring me to the Hotel, where I met the whole Family. They were very friendly and I must admit that on the boat I was afraid that I will not find anybody waiting for me. It was a surprise for me that the whole family was at the reception waiting for me and they offered me welcome drink and many sweets. I felt that it was just afternoon and the owners didn’t needed to go to bed. We stayed talking with their son until late and we decided to go to bed, as I had a heavy schedule next morning. I went to my room and I felt like home. It was very warm, beautiful and clean. Very nice decorated with beautiful colors and comfortable furniture. The bathroom was nice and clean with fresh towels. I was impressed by the fresh flowers, the bottle of water and the sweets in my room.
At the next morning I had to make a visit to the police station in Lagada, in order to try to find out about my mother’s property. After a huge breakfast with hand made marmalade, local honey, hand made sweets, I love loukoumades, ham, cheese, eggs etc. I wanted to rent a car to go to Lagada and a third surprise came up. Stamatis, the son had already arranged an appointment with somebody, who new my mother’s family. He took me to Langada village and he stayed with me trying hard to find out about my family. I stayed a couple more days and I realized that I didn’t want to go. The food was great and I thought I was at home. I had great relaxation in the spa area and I didn’t loose my workout as the full equipped gym covered all my needs. I had also the opportunity to experience a great local fest with live traditional music and traditional food at the restaurant of Aegiali Hotel & Spa. There I found out that the products they use for cooking ( meat, vegetables, cheese, etc.) are local.
The last surprise was Tommy the world famous hair dresser, who did a great job with my hair in the hair salon of Aegialis Hotel & Spa.
The day a had to take the boat was departing at 06:00 in the morning from the port of Katapola. I had breakfast before I live and the driver took me to the port. I had the best time in my life with those people. I will be back for summer holidays…that’s for sure!!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2008

My wife and I along with our 2 children visited Amorgos and stayed at Aegialis & Spa Hotel from 14/08/2008 until 20/08/2008. I enjoyed the excerice room and my wife enjoyed the spa.- the children loved the pool. it is a beautful location- view of ocean was perfect in anything we did at the hotel. staff was very friendly, they loved the children-there was parking at the hotel, no problem. we booked 2 rooms next to eachother and both were nice view and clean- our room was a little bigger-we feel safe with our teenage children in their own room. the hotel had live music on 2 nights when there. food was fine-we meet other familys there too. easy to get around the island. we will be back again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank lambrosyiorgos
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aegiali
Vigla Hotel
#5 of 8 in Aegiali
Askas Pension
Askas Pension
#1 of 8 in Aegiali

Been to Aegialis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!