“Quality of this place is going down very quickly”
Review of Macu

Macu
Ranked #411 of 1,585 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Taka-Töölö
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Once one of our favourite restaurants in Helsinki, because of its balance between classy and casual, good food at reasonable price, cozy atmosphere and super good service attitude. The last 2 or 3 times we have been there the quality of food has gone down so much that we don't think we will be back for a long while. Everything else reamins as good as it used to be, but for some reason the chef's there seem to have completely lost the touch for salt, especially in the main courses (maybe except the burger, which is difficult to screw up), fresh fish on the pan, or fish and chips, or vegetarian dishes, all are super salty, to the point that it is not really enjoyable. My wife left half of her dish, I ate mine but wasn't really good. I am pretty sure we are not the only ones saying this, so I hope they take action and correct this, before the place is totally ruined.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was the first meal I had in Finland and I must say I was impressed by the quality. I had salmon trout on top of a bed of something very tasty. The creme brûlée was one of the best I ever had.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Had dinner in here one night while I was stopping at the crown plaza. Presentation was nice and the food tasted very good. Staff were very friendly. Great place to eat if you don't fancy the walk into town.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We went to the ballet in Helsinki Opera house with my daughter and my friend and her daughters (2 adults, 3 daughters 11-13 years old). After the ballet we wanted to eat something nice, and we chose restaurant Macu because of the location and the menu that looked nice.

When we entered the restaurant, it took quite some time before anyone paid any attention to us. After we got the table, it took more than 15 minutes before we even got the menu. Everything took extremely long. We had to ask for water 3 times before we got it. After we had been in the restaurant for over 50 minutes, we had not got anything to eat yet. The restaurant was almost empty, there were less than 8 visitors.

When we asked the waiter, if it will still take long before we will get the meals, he answered to us, that this is not a fast food restaurant and we cannot expect to get the food in 5 minutes - in this level restaurant it takes some time to prepare the food and if the children cannot wait, we should have chosen a different restaurant. Next time I will!

The food itself was OK but far too expensive compared to the quality. With the same amount of money you can get much better food in Helsinki.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Had a meeting in the lobby next to Macu and we decided to have a light snack. We tried Roasted beetroots and yellow beetroots with grilled Halloumi cheese. This was a winner, excellent balance between the beetroots, halloumi cheese and the tangy vinaigrette.
Other visits the mains have been lots of promise in the menu but short of delivery.