“Wonderful place.”
Review of Hotel Haven

Hotel Haven
Ranked #8 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed 19 July 2013

If being a “regular” tourist in Helsinki means you visit once a year (or more), I hope I qualify. I have stayed at the Hotel Kamp, the Glo (downtown, not at the airport or in Espoo), and the Hotel Haven (and am intrigued to some extent by both the Klaus K and the Fabian but haven’t tried ‘em yet). However, on my third visit in probably four years to the Haven, I can’t think of any reason to stay anywhere else in the city. It’s a marvelous hotel. No question: The Kamp is better-known. Still, I will say that, just the other day, as I was sauntering down the Esplanade, past that hotel’s entrance, a guest was irritatingly humping his own luggage a half block to the main drag to get a taxi. I don’t know, it didn’t seem like that storied property was keeping to standards.

Regardless, the Haven has a more enviable location (one side faces Helsinki's gorgeous harbor, the other some other office buildings). It has bikes to borrow, it's an easy walk to anything you want to see in Helsinki (though the gorgeous marketplace, as of July 2013, is shut-down for a major refurbishment), is close to restaurants, tourist-stuff and is a quick taxi to the train station.

At Hotel Haven, where if you’re lucky the smaller rooms (at least in my experience, and from poking around when housekeeping is cleaning) look out onto the harborfront, there’s no better view in the city. Weirdly the larger rooms I’ve seen, and I’ve only stayed in smaller ones, are on the street-front side which has a lesser view though they are lovely. On the smaller side, aim for the upper-most floors, (anything below five means you see nothing, and I’d suggest going for six – eight). There are only a handful of rooms on each floor (again, five and above) that look out over the harbor so if that matters, specify. If you’re not sure, invest in an upgrade.

What I like about the Haven beside its location on the waterfront? Great welcome, terrific service, pretty rooms with a minimalist cottage-style ambiance (as opposed to the heavy mahogany feel you get with old school luxe). Superb electronics (Bose TV, phone, though no iPhone charger), good and reasonably priced mini-bar (where are the diet drinks, though?), gorgeous bathrooms (with full-size tubs on request) with Steiner accouterments. The included buffet breakfast is both Nordic and American (you can order dishes a’la carte but there’s not much need). Internet is free (which for a deluxe property deserves acclaim). The beds are perfectly firm (great night's sleep).

The hotel is within walking distance of all the top restaurants (ironically, many of these are also part of the same parent company – I was a little bit…disturbed…when the concierge recommend Sasso, owned by the Haven folks, over Gastone, which isn’t, but okay, consider yourself warned. Do a little bit of homework.) I did love the Sundman’s Krog, which is part of this group, but which feels Finnish in the best possible bistro way.

Why then does Haven net a four star rather than five star rating on TripAdvisor? I love this place, and will be back, but there are minor details missing. Towels are occasionally threadbare (which doesn’t matter in a 2-star place but does matter w/ a luxury hotel). The rug had a lot of spots on it and while I didn’t feel in any way that the room wasn’t cleaned properly, spots, in any quantity, don’t belong on a luxury hotel rug ☺ And one more thing: In my room the closet door leading to the minibar was warped and wouldn’t close (which meant that the light inside wouldn’t go out); I figured out how to slam it shut but…still. Sloppy housekeeping.

Does any of this matter to me in the end? Absolutely not. I’ll be back.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Haven

Reviewed 19 July 2013

The hotel is clean and spacious. Front desk staff exceptionally friendly and helpful with luggage, taxis and local sites. Rooms are spacious and well appointed - an adjoining two room suite was plenty of space for 2 adults & 4 teenagers. The larger room had a small seating area in front of the tv and a small dining suite. Complimentary bottled water; use of slippers and terry robes. Lovely toiletries. Linens were lovely and comfortable. Optional turndown service. Curtains were heavy and blocked out the light of the long Finnish days. Some towels a little threadbare. Breakfast in the courtyard was charming. Very good selection, quality and variety - cheeses, meats, salmon, herring, scrambled eggs, bacon, porridge, fresh yoghurt, fruits, breads. Optional made-to-order menu. Central location - a one minute walk to the Esplanade and the waterfront. Hotel held the luggage for the afternoon. Quiet and comfortable place to play chess in the lounge while waiting for transport.

Room Tip: Our rooms had views of the street....ask for harbour front view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Last weekend we visited Finland for the first time and we got a reservation in the Haven Hotel. And after my experience I understand that they got the Travellers Choice Award 2013. It couldn't be better located, very central, near to the daily fresh market in the harbour. The rooms are large and modern, including sofas and desks, the bathroom is also quite nice and proper clean. For breakfast we enjoyed their tasty buffet in the terrace that you can see in the picture, a really lovely place. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the price is very reasonable compared to similar hotels of its quality across Europe. They also have free Wi-Fi. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Better the ones from 6th floor if you want to have a great view.
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This was my first trip to Helsinki and I was traveling by train from Moscow. Hotel was close to the Train station I arrived at and was able to walk to the hotel. I arrived at the hotel 4 hours early and they were still preparing my room. In the meantime the front desk held my luggage while I went for a walk around the neighborhood. The hotel location is in a wonderful area near the daily fresh market and a park area. The market was full of fresh fruit and fresh fish, which is cooked for you on the spot. The hotel rooms are large for European standard and very modern. The hotel price I received included breakfast which was a nice buffet with cereals, yogurt, fruit, and hot foods as well. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful with giving advice of places to go and things to see. I highly recommend this hotel. (I took this trip July 2011)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 July 2013

After having lived in Helsinki for a year nearly 10 years ago, I can say that Hotel Haven is a truly fantastic addition to the available hotels in the city. It couldn't be better located, the staff couldn't be more friendly or helpful and the rooms are nearly perfect. We also really enjoyed the breakfast buffet and the hotel lounge was the perfect place to have an evening drink or take a break in between outings. I highly recommend Hotel Haven - the price is very reasonable compared to similar hotels of its quality across Europe--and it's one of the nicest places to stay in a city with many good options.

2  Thank jpmUSA
sasifi, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear jpmUSA,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We are very pleased that a local found his stay with us as if he was staying at home. That’s simply makes our Your home, Your place a success.

We also have excellent summer promotions not to mention our Trip advisor offer to get a free upgrade when you book with us directly via phone or email.

We look forward to welcome you again to Hotel Haven.

Best regards,
Jad Lian
Guest Relations Manager
Hotel Haven

Reviewed 12 July 2013

You can walk to all Helsinki main atractions, the best location in the city. The best staff I found, really helpful. Very good breakfast. Free internet signal. Great restaurants and a small market near by. A comfortable, silent and clean room.

Dear BrazilTourist,

Thank you for writing this review.

Our central location offer an exceptional way to visit all of Helsinki. It is great to read that you enjoyed your visit and that our colleagues were able to leave an impression. We do offer free Wi-Fi covering all the hotel as you mention.

And since you mentioned the main attractions, we are a 5 minutes walking distance to the famous Helsinki cathedral and 2 minutes to the market square and the ferry to the beautiful fortress of Suomenlinna.

We hope to welcome you again in the future to Hotel Haven.

Best regards,
Jad Lian
Guest Relations Manager
Hotel Haven.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Hotel Haven is an excellent hotel. The friendliest and most accommodating staff. Checked us in hours before check in time. The rooms are beautiful, large and comfortable. The bar/lounge are classy and comfortable and the light meals served there delicious. But the best of all were the fabulous wine paired four course designer meal at the Havis restaurant. Beautifully presented and an absolute must. We enjoyed every course and of course the well chosen wines. Great breakfast too. Hotel Haven was our Helsinki best.

Room Tip: All rooms are fabulous