“very nice hotel with great location”
Review of Hotel Haven

Hotel Haven
Ranked #8 of 65 Hotels in Helsinki
Marrakech, Morocco
“very nice hotel with great location”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Very nice design hotel in an historical building with a great location. Friendly staff, very nice breakfast and great rooms. You find 2 amazing restaurants connected to the hotel. My favorite hotel in Helsinki.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Every time I check in and hear 'I've given you a very nice room' I know that spells trouble. Room was a good size but it was right across from the elevator and street facing. I live in NY and London so I am a good judge of noise and windows (which you could not open) sounded like they were open. Even though I flagged my noise concern I was told this was 'taken under consideration' and nothing was done. Staff was friendly but did not follow through on turn down service request, so I returned from dinner not very happy. The night staff did what they could do and apologized but was not communicated to front desk for checkout, so I was asked how was my stay and had go through the issues once again. Also, breakfast is not very impressive (very basic more like 4*) if you want non scrambled you have to pay extra). So, voted best SLH 2013, again not something I could come close to agreeing. My credentials - I stay in 5* hotels almost once a week with majority Relais & Chateau.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank jmittle
London
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed there in December few days after Christmas. We had massive room where they put two extra beds for kids, everyone was welcomed, kids loved special touches, tv in the bathroom, mountains of snow outside and beautiful Xmas decoration. Tasting menu at the restaurant was worth trying. Overall we had lovely stay as a family.

Room Tip: Go for higher category of room
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have travelled to Helsinki 40+ times over the years on business and this is the best stay all around that I have had in years. While the standards of Finnish hotels are quite high in general, this was exceptional and I highly recommend it. The room was beautifully designed, comfortable and roomy with a beautiful bathroom. (this was the comfort double room) The breakfast was excellent, the bar and its adjoining room to sit and read (we had late night tea) was fantastic.
Oh, and by the way, you cannot get much of a better location, right off of esplanade.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gigifr
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Eventhough it is in our home town, we have spent couple of nights at Haven after our initial wedding night there. Always clean, nice, friendly and stylish. I personally travel a lot for business and I can say I don't remember another hotel with such welcoming and warming feeling in the deco.

Definitely recommend!

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We had a room for our wedding weekend and were mostly very satisfied. Our wedding was in Uspenski Cathedral and we had a nice view of the church from our window.

The room:
The room was spacious, very neat and had excellent wardrobes. The bed was big and very comfortable. Compared to the Holiday Inns, Cumulus Hotels and other, perhaps lower notch hotels that I've seen in Helsinki, the room clearly belonged to the higher price level. The only complaint about the room is the bathroom. The shower/tub was poorly designed. There was a flat surface around the tub and nothing to block water from flowing from that to the floor. As a result, much of the shower water ended up flowing to the bathroom floor.

Location:
For our purposes, the location was great. Short walk to the Cathedral, right next to the marketplace. For tourists the location is also good as many of the sights are nearby, including both cathedrals, marketplace, ferries to the Suomenlinna fortress, and a short walk to e.g. Stockmann or Kamppi. As a Helsinki resident I would say that this is on the edge of the "center" area, and a more central location would be closer to Stockmann or the railway station, but the center is really very tiny and the walk to what I would consider the other side of the "center" in Kamppi is maybe 10 minutes.

Would I stay again?
If the issue with the flooding shower is fixed, then I would, especially if most of my activities in Helsinki were centered around the marketplace area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view towards Uspenski Cathedral
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank farbeach
Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Everything about this hotel should be lovely but, for me, missed the mark. The location is near the waterfront, but set back with buildings in between so that the view of the water is minimal. The lobby, while nicely decorated, is quite dark and I didn't find it particularly welcoming (this also applies to the bar).

I was also disappointed by my room. Although quite large, it seemed to not use the space particularly wisely. The room was long and narrow, with the bed wedged into the corner at the far end. The view from my room was terrible. On the other side of the hotel to the marina, I overlooked a dilapidated old building in a very poor state of repair. Nothing to see there! To compound the problem, work was going on to update the building, and this went on throughout the night, making sleep very difficult - even with earplugs. Not the hotel's fault, and an unfortunate coincidence, but added to a disappointing stay.

The bathroom was also disappointing - again, large on a square footage basis, but light on effectiveness. Not very warm, not finished to what I would regard as a 5* standard - again, fine, but below expectations.

Breakfast - the only meals I had in the hotel - was a little strange, held in a small restaurant with perhaps 10 tables off the courtyard of the hotel. Choice was pretty limited, and you didn't really feel that you were actually eating in the hotel. It bore no similarity to the tone and decor of the rest of the building.

Would I go back? No. There must be better hotels at a similar (or even lower) price bracket because one thing that this isn't is cheap.

Room Tip: Do not stay at the back of the hotel - terrible view and potential of noise from renovation (at leas...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business