“Bright Blue and White Rooms”
Review of Cumulus Hakaniemi

Cumulus Hakaniemi
Ranked #36 of 65 Hotels in Helsinki
Bhubaneswar, India
“Bright Blue and White Rooms”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Bright blue and white rooms.
Frankly, our family did not find this four starred hotel any different from the run of mill three starred ones in most of Europe. The family room allotted to us three was very small and did not even have a mini fridge or tea or coffee making arrangement. It had a TV with a small range of channels. The beds were comfortable though and so were the pillows. The bath and toilet was proportionately small but again bright like the décor of the room. Our allotted room 415 had the dull view of a wall and windows of an adjacent building. The sky was partially visible. We had been told that family rooms have no view and for 30 Euros per night more, we could get a larger room.
The room came with breakfast that was on offer from 7:30 to 10:30 am. The spread was varied and reasonably good – no eggs made to order though. The young ladies attending to the guests in the breakfast hall were efficient – replacing trays that were getting empty. Fresh fruits were available – mainly apples and peaches. The juices were not too dilute and artificial tasting as it happens in many hotels. Overall, the breakfast on offer was good enough to start the day off well for most.
The location of the hotel was very close to the city centre and tram, bus stops. But Helsinki is so small that most hotels are either adjacent to or in its heart. One facility that had influenced me in selecting this hotel was the availability of the bus to the Vantaa airport (615) just across the road. The fare we paid was 4.50 Euros and the time taken was about 25 minutes.
The ladies at the reception desk were efficient and friendly; not common in many chain hotels. They were ready to offer advice on any tourism and transport related queries.
In short, our experience in this hotel of the Cumulus chain was nothing to write home about. Indeed, we wondered how and why it had been graded with four stars. There must be something we missed; so many others were regularly checking in and out.

Room Tip: Be willing to pay more!
1 Thank GBMukherji

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I stayed two nights here and have nothing to complain about. The room was clean, quiet and big enough. Even though my window was facing a busy street and market square, I didn't find the noise from the outside disturbing. The staff was helpful and the breakfast adequate. Also, the hotel is only a five minute metro ride away from the main railway station. The price for the room was very reasonable. Would stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Milano
Reviewed 29 August 2013

To visit Helsinki is in a great position, near bus, metro, airport bus. Nice hotel, clean and confortable. Good breakfast, goos staff. I was there with my wife and our son. We asked for a 3rd bed and they gave us a very good solution. I know where to sleep next time I'll be there.

Finland
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We had a superior room which was large enough, clean (exept the work chair cover), silent and the beds were comfortable. Breakfast was basic and there seemed to be too few staff. "Serviettes" that were available were basic toilet handpapers which were cut in the middle.The young blonde girl at the reception didn´t make us feel very welcome. She was arrogant. For example she didn´t know what the travel bed is or didn´t bother at first to check if our room is available bit earlier (we had called to the hotel in advance about these things).Playroom was very poor and small. Location of the hotel is good, near Linnanmäki and the ferry that goes to Korkeasaari. Hakaniemi market is nice in the summertime and also the indoor market nearby is nice.

Room Tip: Superior/family rooms are ok. Rooms that face inner court are probably more quieter.
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

Started our trip from this hotel and decided to get back to it at the end of the trip. The hotel is amazingly clean, well positioned with comfortable rooms, especially the superior rooms which are absolutely great, and the staff very responsive. The only downsides were the mediocre breakfast and the fact that we were not able to control the room temperature to our satisfaction.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Jyväskylä
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I stayed at the hotel during the Flow festival 2013, because the hotel is very conveniently located - there is a short walk to the city centre and short walk to the festival area. However, I wouldn't recommend the hotel, because in my opinion, the balance between their prices and quality is off. First thing that surprised me was that I was expected to pay extra for wireless internet. It didn't cost much, but the password they gave was only valid for 24 hours that is kind of inconvenient when you're staying for several days. Also, as it is not a budget hotel, charging extra for wifi seemed sort of petty. The other thing was breakfast - there were signs in the elevators that told the customers to arrive at the breakfast 'as early as possible' because 'the hotel is fully booked'. So, the staff expects their customers to wake up earlier than they have planned, because they are not able to organize their work at the breakfast hall? When I got there (more than an hour before the end of breakfast), I saw that they are really not able to organize. Tables and chairs were dirty, half of the dishes were empty, there were no cups for coffee etc. And they served the most watered down apple juice I've ever seen in my life. I'm surprised that they had a nerve ta call it 'juice', because at most, it was a slightly flavoured water (orange juice dispenser was broken). The hotel room itself was OK, however, it was oddly chilly even when the heating system claimed that there should have been 21 degrees in a room. In short - for such money, there are much better hotels in Helsinki.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for two nights, arrived late and needed a good nights sleep. About 4am every night I woke up because
A truck driver was removing the iron bars from the tram which is currently being redone. It took him about 90 minutes to upload all the rails. Unfortunately I had a taxi picking me up at 630. So you can imagine how happy i was. I complained to the receptionist about it and all I got was a shrug as apparently no one else was bothered about that noise. Hard to imagine.

Stayed June 2013