“Excellent food in the heart of Helsinki”

Restaurant Karljohan
Ranked #91 of 1,511 Restaurants in Helsinki
Price range: US$37 - US$147
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Kampinmalmi
North Potomac, Maryland
“Excellent food in the heart of Helsinki”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I had just one afternoon and evening to roam around the central part of Helsinki near the railway station. While walking around, early in the afternoon, I noticed Karl Johan restaurant (and guessed from so many other signs that "Ravintola" must mean restaurant :-) The restaurant looked cozy and menu was interesting. After making the rounds of Esplanadi and Senaatintori and checking out many other ravintolas, I settled for a dinner at Karl Johan and it was definitely a great choice. I chose a reindeer steak and root vegetable salad for starter and braised veal cheek with porcini risotto for the main dish with a glass of house red wine. Both were excellent. For dessert, I couldn't pass up the lingonberry cake with white ice cream, ending with a cappuccino.

All in all, Karl Johan had excellent food and service and I was glad I chose this restaurant for my one dinner in Helsinki. I'd definitely eat here again if I were to come to Helsinki.

• Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent food and friendly service.”
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

Had a very early dinner here (before 6pm) and was very impressed with the food. The best meal I had in Helsinki.

Not much more to say really. Definitely worth a meal there. I'd recommend booking as there were already tables occupied at the unseemly hour of 5.30!

• Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“AMAZING food and service”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We arrived late on Saturday night with no reservation the staff were very accomodating and found us a table very quickly. We opted for the chef's 5 course tasting menu was amazing. The chef was adapted the menu to suit our friend who has a cows milk allergy.
The waiting staff were fantastic.
Go here and eat there amazing food.

• Visited August 2013
Switzerland
“When visiting Helsinki Karl Johan is a must”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We have been living in Helsinki for quite a while. Thanks to Trip advisor we tried it out 2 years ago. Since then we come back every couple of weeks. The food is just outstanding and cooked with love. Everything is fresh and not only the desserts are an unforgettable experience. Considering the high quality of food the prices are very fair. The service is extremely friendly and efficient, the decoration is rather basic but cosy, somehow it reflects very well how Finland is. Don't underestimate things from what you see. Karl Johan - do not miss it when visiting Helsinki.

• Visited July 2013
New Haven, CT
“good for lunch”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stumbled on this place for lunch and persuaded ourselves that it was "authentic" given that the menu was only in Finnish. DInner was different, with the menu in English, more clearly geared towards tourists, but that's OK; the food was still delicious and the waitress, who recognized us from lunch, was lovely. We enjoyed the lingonberries and chopped pickles that came with our lunch.

• Visited June 2013