“Good sushi, and warm atmosphere”
Review of Ravintola Tokyo55

Ravintola Tokyo55
Ranked #119 of 1,627 Restaurants in Helsinki
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Went for dinner at Tokyo55 while staying overnight at the nearby Crowne Plaza hotel (4 minutes walk)

very friendly staff, being alone - took a seat at the bar, very quick service. Sushi is well made, with some nice finishing touches like adding a slight char with blowtorch. Its not cheap, but good sushi cant be. Its not overly expensive either, although definitely not a budget place.

Overall atmosphere is very warm and cosy.

Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

I love this place. Unfortunately, I have no time to go there nowadays. I miss their buffet. Hopefully, Sunday brunches are back :)

Reviewed 4 July 2013

I visited Tokyo 55 to have lunch buffet again. I have long been waiting for this opportunity in Tampere because lunch buffet only runs on weekdays.

I feel a price of 15 euro for this lunch buffet is good deal. There should hopefully be more variety of sushi ingredients other than salmon, squid, and boiled prawn. But, the quality of these ingredients was pretty good. It was hot and humid day when we visited. Maybe because of that, I felt the vinegar of the rice was little bit too strong.

Miso soup was surprisingly excellent. This deserves special mention. So, I some time took another helping.
I would like to return someday soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

This is the one and only sushi place in Helsinki where sushi lunch buffet is actually worth eating. I haven't tried this one besides lunch, but judging by lunchtime quality of food, you won't be disappointed with dinner either. A Japanese sushi chef is always a plus, especially nowadays when sushi is very "in" and there's lots of chinese/thai -restaurants that serve somewhat inferior sushi compared to what japanese restaurants have.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Sushi has already become global food. However, I can rarely see a good sushi restaurant in other countries (than Japan), where the ingredient variations are usually limited in salmon, tuna, prawn, BBQ eel, and the other few.

The quality of the ingredients is basically proportional to the price. Then, sushi rice becomes increasingly important to determine the overall taste of the sushi. I believe so. Unfortunately, I have experienced few sushi restaurants in overseas countries that paid considerable attention to the rice to the extent of the quality, way of cooking (quantity of water, steaming time, flame, etc.) and of seasoning with vinegar, how firmly the rice is shaped, temperature, etc. I believe cooking of delicious sushi rice is only achieved with exquisite harmony between those factors above.

As a result of pre-survey, I understood that there is a Japanese sushi chef working at Tokyo55. This is the main reason why I visited Tokyo55 for today's lunch.

The assorted sushi that we ordered included yellowfin tuna nigiri and maki, squid, aburi (torched) salmon, and scampi roll. The price was 19.00 euro. To be honest, I feel it is expensive, but it may be the moderate price in Finland. As far as sushi rice is concerned, this sushi restaurant deserves a 'strong positive' rating within sushi restaurants in overseas countries that I have ever visited.
We also enjoyed scampi tempura, priced at 17.00 euro. The way of tempura-frying was nicely done! The green-tea salt could make a good difference.

I don't think the quality of the service is particularly good. But, I felt their service quite honest and their very best. More importantly, the atmosphere is good.

1  Thank koalachef