“Good for anyone interested in this iconic interior”

Museum of Contemporary Art Kiasma (Nykytaiteen Museo)
Book In Advance
Ranked #11 of 278 things to do in Helsinki
Melbourne, Australia
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Good for anyone interested in this iconic interior”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

If you're into architecture and interior design you should make the time to see this one as it is a well known Stephen Holl design. The well known curved foyer stair 'thing' is worth checking out, though I guess photographs make it seem a little more special than in reality. A bigger gallery than you may anticipate from the outside, with many separate gallery areas on the different levels.

Visited August 2013

• Turkish first
Newcastle, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great intro to finnish contemporary artists”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

Having never seen much Finnish contemporary art I found this to be a great introduction in an outstanding gallery space. 3 artists were showing, 2 of them across 2 floors. I enjoyed the art and found it very approachable. Good cafe on the ground floor.

Visited July 2013
Helsinki, Finland
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Ok collection, nice building”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

The building itself is in my opinion the most interesting thing going for it. Opening hours are limited. I recommend going to visit when admission is free on the first Friday of every month from 5-830 pm.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank mcmeg12
Cairo, Egypt
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Art Pushes Boundaries”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I don't get a lot of local exposure to contemporary art where I live, so I enjoy seeking it out when I travel. On the other hand, the very nature of art is to push boundaries - many (most?) pieces that we call masterpieces today were greeted with hostility or discomfort or confusion or derision. It's purpose is to make you see and think about things in a new way, not be pleasing.

I enjoyed this museum. Unlike others, I wasn't really impressed by the interior architecture (it felt confusing and strangely cramped to me) and the exterior is, to my untrained eye, in the "steel beam angles plate glass" style that I see all the time.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed some of the exhibits. Notably, there is a huge room with walls covered in clever little drawings and insightful little sayings. There were "studio portraits" of cars after car accidents, that made me think about the cult of luxury car ownership. There were several pieces made of human hair and teeth that grossed me out, but my own reaction gave me something to ponder. There was a film of West Africans repeatedly trying to push their fishing boat out to sea, being capsized over and over, that was very moving on several levels.

Then there were other things that just didn't resonate with me. Some films that I found a bit long and pretentious and pointless. Some photographs of extremely tattooed people that didn't seem particularly original. Bottom line: it's not all going to be my cup of tea, and I expect that when I go to a museum of contemporary art.

I like that it's relatively small. I get museum fatigue after about 90 minutes or two hours, and that was PLENTY to really enjoy this museum, without feeling like I was skipping out or rushing through.

I'd recommend visiting this one alone, if possible - midway through my visit, I ran into a friend, and I don't think either of us got as much out of the rest of the visit, as you then start slowing down and speeding up to accommodate the other person, and filter your reactions through what you think they might be thinking. I like to experience this kind of museum on my own terms.

The gift shop has some great creative gifts for kids, and the food in the museum cafe is good and reasonably priced.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Sheila P
Lempaala, Finland
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 143 helpful votes
“A Good Museum of Contemporary Art”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

Kiasma is located smack in the middle of the Helsinki City centre, merely a minute or two walk from the railway station. It's an impressive building, or an eyesore, depending on whom you ask. Be as it may, it is an important feature in the city's cultural life. Ive seen many exhibits and even a theatre piece there and have been mostly satisfied. Of course the artistic level varies, as always, and in a small country there are only so many bullseyes to go around. Still, a definite must for any visitor who wants to check the art scene in the city. Of course places like this are not the only or even always the most important venue, but that's a given in any city. It all depends on the exhibits and the current cultural climate.

Visited September 2012