“A fine, grand hotel”

Ranked #6 of 65 Hotels in Helsinki
Athens, Greece
“A fine, grand hotel”
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my wife for one (very cold) night in February. I can' t say I found anything to fault it. It is a grand hotel of the old style, very comfortable and well kept and the staff was excellent. It wouldn't be my first choice in Helsinki (I would prefere the somewhat more modern and chic Haven), however this is a matter of personal style and doesn't reflect on the standard of accommodation. The only real minus is the price, which I found excessive, and I am not one who usually complains about it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PeripateticJohn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We had our first anniversary and chose celebration package for the purpose. Package included a bottle of champagne with honey and strawberries, huge room service breakfast for two, free entrance to Kämp Spa and late check-out at 6PM.
One would imagine Kämp is expensive, but this package everything included was probably not at all more expensive than any other quality hotel in Helsinki would have been with champagne etc. In addition, service was excellent and friendly.
I've stayed in many hotels around the world but this was the best experience ever. We will definitely go again next year.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnskuS
London
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Have stayed here on numerous times since the hotel opened over a decade ago. Each time I'm left with the same impression that the hotel is not as good as it should be, not least since it markets itself as one of the true deluxe hotels in Scandinavia. In my opinion, it is not anywhere near as good as the Grand in Stockholm. A few points:

1) Hotel is impersonal. Front desk is relatively efficient, but there is never any warmth in the welcome or departure. Hotel has never recognised (my) regular patronage;

2) Standard rooms are fine, with nice bathrooms (if inconvenient showers). Rooms are also rather impersonal;

3) What really stands out, however, are the outrageous prices, even for a 5* star hotel. Euro12 to deliver a cup of coffee!! I don't know any hotel that charges so much for room service delivery. There is also the constant attempt to get more money from guests: c.Euro20 for internet access (free at the Grand, Crillon, etc etc); copy of the history of the Kamp ("World's most famous hotel!") on your desk which is yours to take away for Euro27, always leaving bills open with option for additional tips (on top of Euro12 already charged for room service), including when paying for the room, a television system that default to try and get guests to pay for various packages.
Unfortunately all this just leaves a very sour taste in the mouth, and spoils what should be an enjoyable stay at a top hotel with a wonderful location. Helsinki is a beautiful city, and I can only speak positively about the Finns, but the Hotel Kamp gives the impression of an copy/paste money machine.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank pnlaw
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Almost everything about this hotel was awesome. I had the pleasure of staying here for three nights in the beginning of September for a quick vacation in Helsinki. Upon check in, I was warmly greeted and escorted to my amazing room on the 8th floor. The furniture, decor, and amenities were exemplary of what one should expect in a historic 5* luxury hotel.

The spa was very well kept and well equipped. The gym was adequate for the size of the hotel. I didn't dine at the hotel, but all requests made (from requesting ice to concierge services) were responded to very quickly and with a smile.

The location is awesome. It's right in the center of Helsinki, two blocks from the train/bus station, and two blocks from the water. Everyone that lives in Helsinki knows Hotel Kamp.

The only things I could think of that weren't perfect were:
1) The wi-fi signal in my room was fairly low. This was likely because I was in the corner of the hotel.
2) One request was made to the concierge for renting bikes. The concierge called and informed us that the location was closed. When we called, they said they were open.

These were small issues that certainly didn't affect my overall impression of this grand hotel!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank TylerTheTraveler84
NYC
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I was incredibly impressed by the staff at this hotel. They were excellent from start to finish. The history is fascinating, and when I got off on the wrong side of the 2nd floor one of the managers who happened to be there took me into the Mirror Room to show it to me and regale me with the history.
The staff is very proud of this hotel, which went bankrupt in the late 60s, and they want to show it off and make sure your stay is excellent.
The hotel also takes good care of Starwood Platinum members, which is important when choosing a hotel.
The rooms are quite large by European standards.
I had a marble bath big enough for 2 separate from the shower as well as a bidet.
The towels were plush and the bathrobes lovely.
When I called downstairs to ask for washcloths, they were delivered in less than 5 minutes.
The hotel is right on the Esplanade, in the design and shopping district and an easy walk to the Market Square (ferries), the Helsinki Cathedral and other tourist attractions. The front desk staff will provide maps and directions.
The breakfast buffet is delicious, but don't bother if it doesn't come with your room, as it is quite expensive. Go across the street to the cafeteria Karl Fazer - it is cheaper and an Helsinki landmark.
The hotel isn't without its flaws, however. Room service is extremely limited and very expensive. It amazed me how the translations to English here (and throughout Finland) were so weak in this day and age. There were days when housekeeping was excellent and days when it was passable.
The hotel has wireless and cable-based Internet.
A problem on my bill (mini bar charge) was taken care of quickly and without any fuss.
So what if the TV is slow, you typically aren't in Helsinki to watch TV. The one thing that bothered me is the TV defaulted to the pay channels again and again and again. If you aren't careful, you'll end up paying for something you don't want.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 3 September 2011

I liked this hotel its a very good hotel friendly helpful staff rooms are spacious and well appointed the location is the best in Helsinki with everything in walking distance we enjoyed it alot. Cafe kamp ists a nice cafe with delcious desserts and food and the best Cappucino i ever had in my life Helsinki worth the visit and this is the place to stay and hopefully when we come again Hotel Kamp is the choice.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank KhalifaQatar
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I always stay in this hotel, when visiting Helsinki. This time I stayed 6 nights with my daughter. Our room wasn`t vacum cleaned at all during the whole stay, we had dust all over the fioors in the bathroom and the areas with hardwood floor. You could have written with your finger on the thick layer of dust on the desk. I told the reception several times about the circumstances, and they were very sorry and promised to send somebody. But the housekeeping staff who had come because of the reclamations, didn`t clean correctly. I think they don`t know how to clean, maybe they are only doing that in the summer vacation.
I have never stayed in a hotelroom that dirty.
(I normally stay 3 nights and in that time you don`t see if the room is vacum cleaned in between.)
Everything else was good, as always is.
But if I had a choice with the same location, but clean rooms, I would go there.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family