“It's getting better”

Ranked #6 of 63 Hotels in Helsinki
Helsinki
“It's getting better”
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I spent a two nights' home town hotel weekend at the Kämp recently. I think it's getting a little better, not that it was terrible earlier. I have no bigger complaints, I slept like a baby, the bathroom is quite nice etc. This is your standard 5* hotel, but not any great luxury. The new parisian style terrace is nice and the food is better than it used to be. Sadly the outdoor terrace feels a bit neglected by the hotel. The bar is cosy in a British way.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Jersey, UK
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I have stayed a lot at the Kamp. The reception staff are good, and remember regular guests. Rooms are good, large, very quiet, great bathrooms, comfortable beds but pillows very very soft. A problem for me, so I aak for a change when I check in. Cafe Bar very lively, great staff, and accommodating of late night snacks when officially food service over.
The breakfast is usual buffet, fine but after several long stays it gets very samey. Bistro menu in evening limited and never changes. Japanese restaurant very expensive and not as good as chef thinks it is. Again, have used it quite a bit, but on last occasion the kitchen's pretentiousness was hilarious. Having just completed a long drawn out business deal and a glass or two of champagne better off we were able to see the funny side.
Best hotel I have stayed at in Helsinki, but I agree with other reviewer comments regarding wi fi charges, tips section on bill left open after service charge already added etc being annoying.

However, I will retrun to Kamp, with a few improvements it could be very good

• Stayed June 2011
South Bend, Washington
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This is very nicely located near cafes, nice shopping, restaurants and the large department store. It is a well maintained hotel in general but our room was not vacuumed either before we arrived or the full day we were there. Both the room and the bathroom were very spacious and it was very quiet. The bed was a bit soft for my taste. A glass enclosed cafe is a very nice to have a bite to eat and it is fun to people watch there. We would go back.

London
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed our last night in Helsinki here at Hotel Kamp. We had a lovely big room with a VERY comfortable king sized bed. We also had a massive bath (complete with rubber ducky!) a decent sized TV and also enough room for a chaise lounge and writing desk. The room was very clean although I think the bathroom is starting to look a little bit dated with the gray marble, it was still VERY nice. The hotel has a day spa (which my partner used for the sauna) and it has a fantastic library, bar and restaurant. We only ate in the restaurant for the buffet breakfast but the food was really good with loads of choice from smoked salmon to cereal and of course the usual cheeses and fried offerings. The bread was amazing too! The location is really convient and close to an area of lively bars (although you certainly won't hear any noise!) I would happily go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 721 - no real view as such but a very nice room!
1 Thank vls2002
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my wife for one (very cold) night in February. I can' t say I found anything to fault it. It is a grand hotel of the old style, very comfortable and well kept and the staff was excellent. It wouldn't be my first choice in Helsinki (I would prefere the somewhat more modern and chic Haven), however this is a matter of personal style and doesn't reflect on the standard of accommodation. The only real minus is the price, which I found excessive, and I am not one who usually complains about it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PeripateticJohn
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We had our first anniversary and chose celebration package for the purpose. Package included a bottle of champagne with honey and strawberries, huge room service breakfast for two, free entrance to Kämp Spa and late check-out at 6PM.
One would imagine Kämp is expensive, but this package everything included was probably not at all more expensive than any other quality hotel in Helsinki would have been with champagne etc. In addition, service was excellent and friendly.
I've stayed in many hotels around the world but this was the best experience ever. We will definitely go again next year.

1 Thank AnskuS
London
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Have stayed here on numerous times since the hotel opened over a decade ago. Each time I'm left with the same impression that the hotel is not as good as it should be, not least since it markets itself as one of the true deluxe hotels in Scandinavia. In my opinion, it is not anywhere near as good as the Grand in Stockholm. A few points:

1) Hotel is impersonal. Front desk is relatively efficient, but there is never any warmth in the welcome or departure. Hotel has never recognised (my) regular patronage;

2) Standard rooms are fine, with nice bathrooms (if inconvenient showers). Rooms are also rather impersonal;

3) What really stands out, however, are the outrageous prices, even for a 5* star hotel. Euro12 to deliver a cup of coffee!! I don't know any hotel that charges so much for room service delivery. There is also the constant attempt to get more money from guests: c.Euro20 for internet access (free at the Grand, Crillon, etc etc); copy of the history of the Kamp ("World's most famous hotel!") on your desk which is yours to take away for Euro27, always leaving bills open with option for additional tips (on top of Euro12 already charged for room service), including when paying for the room, a television system that default to try and get guests to pay for various packages.
Unfortunately all this just leaves a very sour taste in the mouth, and spoils what should be an enjoyable stay at a top hotel with a wonderful location. Helsinki is a beautiful city, and I can only speak positively about the Finns, but the Hotel Kamp gives the impression of an copy/paste money machine.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business