“The epitome of elegance and customer service perfected”
Review of Hotel Kamp

Hotel Kamp
Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed 11 January 2014

This is the hotel by which I will measure all other hotels, especially on business trips.
I stayed at Hotel Kamp for 2 nights while attending meetings in Helsinki and wished I could have stayed for the week. It is an elegant property, with an old world feel, that doesn't have to try too hard because they just get it right. From a seamless and efficient check in to the beautiful and large room itself, I couldn't have been more comfortable. What stood out most beyond the comfortable bedding, wonderfully modern and large bathroom, and good food in the lobby restaurant, was the impeccable service.

A bit stressed preparing for a speech while in my hotel room, I needed to print several things last minute. One call to the front desk to ask if there was a printer, I emailed my file and 2 minutes later my speech was slipped under my door. It was the discretion and efficiency that made my stay such a pleasure. The hotel was quite busy and yet no one seem harried - everyone knew exactly how to do their job, with ease and a smile.

The location was also fantastic but again, I would stay there again even if I could fly to my meetings for the day and come back there to sleep and work. I wish I could spend more time in Helsinki to stay at this hotel. Kudos to the entire management and staff who seem to understand what hospitality is really about.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Mika_Makkonen, Manager at Hotel Kamp, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear WorkingMomNYC2,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a nice review about your stay with us. To be honest, I read your Feedback this morning and you made my day! It is my pleasure to share your comments with our team.

Have a good weekend and hope to have you soon back here at Hotel Kämp as our guest.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Stayed here twice on a recent trip. Wonderful location. Beautiful hotel. Super big rooms and bathrooms. Great turndown service
Staff v v helpful
Would be better if had free wi fi in rooms
The toilet flush is too low and means the toilet flushes when you lean back slightly. V annoying. Otherwise perfect hotel and staff

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear AnnieL79,

Thank you so much for choosing Hotel Kämp twice on your recent trips to Helsinki and for sharing your experiences. We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your time with us!
Our maintenance department is now paying more attention to the toilet flush issue during their guest room inspections.

Hopefully we have the pleasure to welcome you back here as our guest!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Everything was fantastic aboutkthis hotel.Breakfast room service was expensive(40euro)but that was delicious,People at the front desk were sweet warmheart and smart.Very close to a department store "stockman"I would love to stay there again!

Room Tip: Sunny room facing court yard
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Mika_Makkonen, Manager at Hotel Kamp, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Adamandlove

We are very excited about your posting! Thank you very much that you took the time to write about your experience here at the Hotel Kämp. It looks like you had a very comfortable stay and that we have met your expecations. It was my pleasure to share your feedback with my team, because most of all, it is their attidude which makes the difference.

All my best wishes for the New Year and hope to welcome you back soon at the Hotel Kämp.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Here's what I liked: 1) perfect location for exploring town on foot every day, 2) general upkeep of the property is good, 3) nice large marble bathroom. Here's what I didn't like: 1) they charge a steep fee for internet in the room so we had to go down to lobby for free wifi, 2) breakfast price is expensive so we chose not to do it. Not providing free wifi is a deal breaker for me. I don't even mind paying an extra few bucks but $20 per night is excessive. And their price for adding breakfast to the room price was also excessive, again I'd pay under $20 per night but not more than that. So we went to the Fazer cafe across the alley way from the hotel - they have a la carte items there. If you want rooms that are just as nice and free great breakfast, check out Radisson Blu Plaza hotel about 10 mins walk from here. Also, the front staff were very nice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Godby,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write some lines about your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our location and the condition of our property. Hotel Kämp has a very long and unique history and therefore we take pride in maintaing our property in exquisite condition.

We are sorry to hear that you felt our internet and breakfast pricing to be inconvenient and expensive. We are now offering a less expensive (9,95€) wifi option in our guest rooms and our guests can use the complimentary wifi access in our restaurants, bar and lobby area as well. We also offer rates that include breakfast and wifi connection. Please do not hesitate to contact me next time when booking a room and I would be more than happy to assist to find the most suitable rate for your purposes.

We are looking forward to soon welcoming you back at our hotel to prove we are the right choice!

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed over New Years Eve in Room 512 (Maria Kämp Suite).
Location: perfect
Arrival: Receptionists saw us carrying our large luggage ourselves from outside into the hotel – did not offer any help - after check-in they did not ask us to help us with our luggage - so we continued carrying our luggage ourselves to our room; in room rate was included airport transfer - asked upfront if a pickup of railway station is possible instead of airport - was not possible! fyi: railway station is just a couple of hundred meters away from hotel
Room #512: Corner Junior Suite which was nice
Housekeeping: asked for Turndown service in the evening – turndown service was done, but they did not make up the room (in the evening), eg changing towels which were still on the floor in the bathroom after we returned to the room
Restaurant - breakfast:very poor, very small selection; presentation of food like in a youth hostel; not even one freshly squeezed orange juice; no indication which (egg)& other dishes can be ordered additionally;
Restaurant - Dinner (New Years Eve dinner): most of people were properly dressed for the occasion of New years eve dinner. Restaurant Mgr sat down (hotel)people in tracksuit beside of us!!! Answer of Restaurant Mgr was in arrogant attitude that everybody is important – ok we took note of this! Buffet dinner food was far away (below) from being mediocre – and again presentation of food like in 3star hotel.
SPA: I asked via email the hotel weeks before and received confirmation from hotel that it will be open on Dec 30th - of course, it was closed that day!!! Although it is very very small it was packed with people from other hotel (GLO???). Sauna: no finnish Sauna in Finland (only luke warm up to 65 degrees) – no comment;
Checkout: wanted to charge one day WIFI connection, which was include in room-rate …..

Room Tip: a room/suite in the historical part of the hotel with view to the esplanade-park
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank tomo4567

Dear Tomo 4567,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give an overview about your recent stay with us.
We are very sorry that you haven’t felt comfortable during your stay with us. Please be sure that it is our first priority to renew our guests during their stay with us.

According to your review the arrival hasn't been as pleasant as it should be. I have personally addressed your comments with our Front Desk and Bellmen department since it is the goal of our team here at the Hotel Kämp that our guests experience as personal and comfortable arrival experience as possible.

Our Housekeeping and Food & Beverage department heads have also been informed about your comments to review them with their teams to avoid similar service failures to happen again.

The Kämp Spa is indeed closed on Mondays for maintenance and deep cleaning and I deeply apologize the misleading information you had been provided with. The Spa and Fitness center are available for our sister property, Hotel GLO Kluuvi as well. New Year's eve is very busy time here in Helsinki and I apologize that your Spa experience was not as relaxing as expected.

I sincerely hope that even though your experience with us was not as pleasant as you hoped, you will consider giving us another opportunity to show you the quality of service for which we are usually known. I have also contaced you personally to discuss more thoroughly.

I wish you all the best for the Year 2014!

Reviewed 29 December 2013

True Luxury in a perfect location in the heart of Helsinki. Surrounded by shopping, countless restaurants, blocks from the train station and the city tram, this is a perfect base for exploring the city or country. The hotel can best be described as elegant charm. A number of small sitting rooms along with a library all connect to the small stylish lobby.

We stayed in the Oskar Merikanto Suite and it was fabulous. Large and spacious, complete with a small library, it was comfortable both for sleeping and relaxing. Several large closet spaces in the hall make storing all the luggage a breeze. The bathroom was very large as well. The bath tub large enough for two and deep. Marble and beautiful fixtures make the bathroom rich in style and elegance. The bed is comfortable with luxurious linens and pillows that will carry you away into sleep.

Lots of hotels have great locations and beautiful properties but what really sets a luxury hotel apart is the staff and how you are treated. The front desk staff were polite, helpful and efficient. The housekeeping team was equally friendly and efficient. During our stay we had one MINOR problem and the hotel front desk was quick to not only solve it but send us a bottle of Champagne for the inconvenience. They provided advice on local sights and places to visit. Every encounter with the staff was professional and pleasant.

The breakfast was a good quality buffett. The wait staff were quick to service and frequently checked with us throughout the meal.

Exercise facility was small but nice. A limited number of cardio machines, free weights

The entire country seems to be overpriced so once you take this into account and realize that you will pay dearly no matter where you stay this is definitely the best accommodation for your money. It rivals or beats the top hotels we have stayed in other large cities.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ksiddel
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed here one night in dec 2013. Kämp is one of the best reputation hotels in Helsinki, where also celebs stay. I had always thought it must be a great place, sort of once in a lifetime experiences. Probably my expectations were too hifh, because it was just a normal hotel with little fanier lobby and marble toilet.
The website for booking was crappy. It was impossible to tell whether the rooms include breakfast or not. So we booked via booking.com. The breakfast was available at the hotel though, but we went to Fazer cafe on the other side of the street.
The wifi wasn't free. (In my phone it didn't show the rates and I just clicked it on. The lady was nice to not take the fee for it even though it was my mistake and didn't read the small print.) still — I would expect a luxury hotel room include a wifi.
Room service was available, which is nice. Also breakfast served to room. Minibar coke costs 6,5 €. :) service seems to be available, but if ylu have to ask the price, you can't afford it. Or t least don't want to pay for it.
I guess it was nice to be there, but next time will choose something else.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple