“Probably Best In Helsinki But Not World Class”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Kamp

Hotel Kamp
Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Palm Beach
“Probably Best In Helsinki But Not World Class”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Highly professional front-desk and concierge services. Housekeeping spotty.
Superb location in the center of town. Easy walking to most shopping and several attractions. Junior suites vary in size and amenities so choose carefully if at this level.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
North Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I travel a lot on business and had the pleasure of staying at the Kamp when I did business in Helsinki a few months ago. I had not yet been to Helsinki and knew few people who had, so I didn't really know what to expect from the Kamp, though I knew it had received good reviews. It was an excellent stay! The room was lovely, and the service was excellent. I was greeted upon arrival and every morning with enthusiasm and by my name. The restaurant was excellent for both the buffet breakfasts and the terrific dinner we had. I felt looked after, which is important to me when I travel. In addition, the location of the hotel could not have been better. it is located in a fabulous section of the city, with wonderful shops, and the waterfront practically across the street. I walked to all of the main tourist attractions.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 27 June 2014

When we made our reservation for our first stay at hotel Kämp, many weeks before arriving, we asked for an early check-in, adding that we would be happy to pay for that privilege. But on arrival, at 10.30 AM, we were told that we had to wait until noon. Well, that may happen. And of course, it was still an early check-in. But we were not even offered a cup of coffee, we were just given a code to use the downstairs restrooms, which clearly hadn't been cleaned yet: they were so incredibly dirty that we had to go to a nearby café to freshen up.
The hotel is in a beautiful old building, centrally located, near the harbour, the market (with the amazing food hall), the beautiful Saarinen station, and Stockmann's department store. There are also many designers shops close by. We had a large executive room, with a comfortable king size bed, a sofa with coffee table, and a desk with chair. Everything was clean, but the carpet had many dirty spots which clearly couldn't be removed. (The same goes for the carpets in the corridor.) Complimentary mineral water, but NOT free wifi!!! A beautiful marble bathroom, with bath and separate shower. (The water from the shower streamed freely from beneath the door of the enclosure, but a dyke of towels did help. We come from Holland!)
The hotel has a very good bar, with the second best Bellini's we've ever had. (For the best, you will have to go the bar of Hotel Gritti Palace, Venice.) There is also a summer terrace on the beautiful Pohjoisesplanadi, for people watching. We had a pleasant dinner in the serre of Brasserie Kämp. Good food (the three course menu is very good value), and friendly, informal service. The breakfast buffet is reasonably good.
Our second stay, about a week later, was not much different from the first. Maybe the check-in staff member was even more uninterested than some of his colleagues. Just a remark about the staff: in Kämp we've met with some very friendly, efficient staff members, but also with some persons who clearly don't know what kind of attitude, of service may be expected in a five star hotel. Tip: after meeting with an uninterested staff member, or getting a flat refusal, it helps to wait an hour or so, and then approach someone else.
We have some mixed feelings about this hotel. Great location, a good room, but some refurbishment and staff training would seem necessary. And free wifi, of course.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Hawet
Kämp G, Manager at Hotel Kamp, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Hawet,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor and sharing your feedback with us.

Firstly I am very sorry to read we were not able to provide you with an exceptional and indigenous experience. I wanted to personally reply and take your feedback forward to improve the services and products we offer. We take all feedback very seriously, and we have passed on your experiences to the departments involved to be thoroughly evaluated and investigated. I can honestly say that the service you’ve encountered are not typical for the experience we provide here at Hotel Kämp.
I am however very glad to hear you’ve experienced our restaurant Brasserie as pleasant and our Kämp Bar has been able to execute the Bellini upon your wishes.

On behalf of the entire management team, I thank you again for the time you took to share your experience with us and for the opportunity to improve our services. We hope to welcome you back in the future to experience this for yourself.

Tina Kaikkonen
Assistant Hotel Manager
Alamo, California
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

First, I must say that I don't agree with the other reviewers. We were met upon our arrival by a very sweet and helpful front desk clerk by the name of Anu. She had a smile on her face and was very helpful with any questions we had. The room was clean and comfortable, nice robes and towels. I do agree that some of the hallways look like they could use some refurbishing, but I have even stayed at some Ritz Carlton's that could be repaired and updated. The hotel is in a perfect location, my wifi was included in the rate and I never had any problem with the connection. The breakfast was good and plentiful. My only complaint is the price of the drinks in the bar. We had drinks for 3 people (1 each) and it came to 58 Euros. I know Helsinki is expensive, but that is crazy! I would not hesitate to stay here again, but I would go to another bar or cafe for a cocktail.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Lahti, Finland
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The room was spacious but run down. For a long time hotel Kämp was "the hotel of Finland". I think they rely on old fame. What makes hotel stars is the service and in hotel Kämp the service does not earn five stars. The hotel is located well, but nowadays there are many other quality hotels nearby. When I was taking pictures in the lobby of the hotel, I was forbidden to "publish" pictures by a reception officer! Hotel Kämp is absolutely the only hotel in the world where I have been forbidden like that and his behaviour really made my decission not to return there ever. In the restaurant we were served cold meals, but they were compensated by free of charge desserts. That was ok. However we were not able to have cookies as the "cake tray was missing": what! In a five star hotel's restaurant! Over all my stay in Kämp was a disappointment.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Paivi P
Mika_Makkonen, Manager at Hotel Kamp, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Paivi P,

I appreciate the time you took to write a review about the stay at our hotel and leave us some feedback. It is regrettable to hear that you did not have a good experience at the hotel and that we were unable to meet your expectations.

You are more than welcome to publish your pictures and I am very surprised to read that one of our team members would have informed you differently. I will look in to this and to the comments about your experience in our restaurant, and I would highly appreciate if you could contact me to provide some more information.

We value the feedback you have provided us with and therefore I would appreciate if you can get in touch with me so we can find a solution together and prevent such happenings from occurring again. Please feel free to write me an email so I can also see when you stayed at the hotel as I cannot retrieve any information over TripAdvisor.

I hope you have a great week and best regards,

Mika Makkonen
mika.makkonen@hotelkamp.fi
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is probably the best option in Helsinki, but I found it lacking on my recent stay. Check in was cold and no one helped me with my bags or showed me to my room. I had been upgraded to a suite, but the room's carpets were dirty, the curtains didn't close to completely darken the room, and some of the small bottles of shampoo, body wash, and conditioner were all open and partially used. The room service menu and bistro menu are both extremely limited. Also they charge an additional fee (19 euros I think) to use wifi.

None of these faults are terrible, but for the price I paid and compared with my first visit to the hotel, it was a disappointing experience that will have me trying another hotel the next time I'm in Helsinki.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Gandaratravels
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Nice spacious room in a hotel that is centrally located. The bar/patio/terrace is great for evening or lunch tike drink. The breakfast was good, mixture of local dishes (fish) and the usual fare. The only let down on what would have been an "excellent" review was that the internet was not included in the room rate.... a real bug bare of mine in so called business hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business