“Classic, elegant”

Ranked #6 of 65 Hotels in Helsinki
Vail, CO
“Classic, elegant”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Quiet rooms, great location. Near all of the best shops. Fazer restaurant across street for breakfast buffet-lovely. Front desk service and bell service superb. From airport take finnair bus to downtown, walk 3 blocks to hotel, it is a safe walk.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 1Paper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Europe
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Centrally located “grande dame” hotel well aware of it’s glorious past and adjusting very efficiently to the present. The rooms in front, overlooking the “movida” Esplanade are well worth the extra price. The staff is exceptional, helpful, professional , kind and patient. Definitely your best choice in Helsinki.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 1 September 2014

My review is based on my experience of other 5 star hotels that I have stayed at. This hotel has a number of issues resulting in a disappointing stay. I was visiting Helsinki with family.

Room: I had the cheapest room option. Size and lay out was good, and the bed was comfortable. The decor is tired and needs updating, there was no iron or ironing board in the room [this was available in the premium rooms] and the thermostat didn't work making the room uncomfortably warm at night and sleep quality poor. I was informed that the engineer would be available during the week to fix the problem but no apology was made nor an offer to move rooms. As expected, WIFI was not included.

Bathroom: good size and excellent shower, only problem being that the shower had a tendency to leak and flood the bathroom!

Breakfast: The buffet breakfast was pleasant. Major issue was service. They did not have enough staff working on Sunday morning to cater for the large number of hotel guests attending for breakfast. The queue was was long, it took at least 20 minutes to get a table despite many empty but uncleared tables in the dining room. The staff were desperately trying to keep on top of the work load but were clearly short-staffed and there is only so much that one person can do. This is definitely not what is expected at a 5 star hotel.

Location: Excellent, in the center of Helsinki.

Would I stay here again? This was my second [and longer] stay. The hotel is popular, however this stay did not meet expectations and next time I will try another Helsinki hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank finnishbird
Beaumont, Texas
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I will admit, this was my first trip to Helsinki, so I have not stayed in any other hotels there. However, I have stayed in hotels all over the world, and have never stayed in one as excellent as this one!! Yes, the prices are high, but after all, it is Europe! My room was very large and very, very comfortable. The chairs were comfortable and the bed was absolutely wonderful!! The location of the hotel was excellent as well. I was traveling with a planned group, so we had personal transportation. But in our free evenings, there was plenty to see and do within walking distance. The best thing about this hotel was the service. The staff were very, very pleasant, and went out of their way to provide outstanding service. I missed my wake-up call one morning because I had knocked the phone off the hook. A staff member came to my room to wake me up because they saw I didn't answer the phone. I have never, ever had that happen in any other hotel. Simply put: the best hotel anywhere!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DavidWB95
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014

This hotel is renowned as one of the best in town. Loads of history, great public spaces and bedrooms with everything you could need.

So why just three stars? It's really hard to put your finger on it, but I didn't find this to be a comfortable hotel... and don't just mean in a physical sense. Indeed, the chairs and sofa in my room looked lovely but were hard and uncomfortable, but this is also an emotionless hotel. Not unfriendly, but a bit robotic.

There is a feeling that all this hotel needs to succeed is its location and history. That they can charge eye-watering prices in the bar because their normal clientele should be able to afford them otherwise they wouldn't be there...

Would I stay there again? Quite possible, but only for the SPG points.

I do understand that this review may not make sense to everyone and I am not sure that I have expressed myself very well.

It is quite likely that the hotel management will write one of those useless review responses in due course. I can't wait.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed with my family at the beautiful Kamp hotel from August 18th to 20th, it was a really unique special experience. Starting from the doorman / valet, then front desk staff, restaurant staff, managers on duty and all staff members were always very helpful, they all made our stay very comfortable and unforgettable. The rooms were impeccably clean every day and the food was great.
The hotel location is in the heart of the city and makes everything possible "walking distance".
The service received everyday at the hotel in every moment was excellent.
We didn’t find any bad details to make comments about it.
Congrats to all Kamp team members, you all are doing a great job and thank you for having us.
Henry contreras

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HenryContreras
NEW YORK
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Kamp in mid-August 2014 for just one night. The Kamp is the grand old dame of Helsinki hotels. The exterior and public spaces are well-done and it has the best location in all of Helsinki - right next to the Esplanade and near the best shopping, great restaurants, the Kauppatori waterfront and fish market and other top sites. My room was on a high floor, but it faced the interior courtyard, so it had good light, but no view. The upside was that the room was very quiet (I imagine that rooms on the Esplanade side are somewhat nosier). The room was comfortable and well-sized (in particular, the bathroom was huge), but the carpet was pretty badly stained. Wifi in the room worked well, but was outrageously expensive (19 EUR per day); I was able to get that charge waived because I'm a Starwood Gold member. The gym was OK, but unfortunately, the sauna (which is free for all hotel guests) was broken. I had lunch at the Brasserie Kamp, which I thought was overpriced, even for expansive Helsinki.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo