“Great hotel close to the city center”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki
Ranked #19 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Nice clean hotel situated apx 10 minutes walk from the city center. This time we had two nice nigths at this hotel, which has been our choice for the last 10-15 times we have been in Helsinki. Our toom was spacious and clean, at top floor, just a few meters from the Club Lounge we have the privilege to use. The use of the lounge is one of the main reasons for us to choose this hotel, as it has given us the possibility to have a glas of wine and a snack, or a quiet breakfast away from the rest of the guests. The breakfast offer in the lounge was no longer awailable, which we find very disappointing. We will for sure be back although the missing lounge-breakfast.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I recently visited the Hotel on Business. It is situated very close to The Olympic Stadium, within easy distance of The Airport and not far from The City Centre.
The Restaurant is good with a complete Mediterranean style menu and Breakfast is varied with Traditional Scandinavian , Continental and European food on offer.
The rooms are spacious and well furnished and The Beds themselves offer a fantastic, comfortable Nights sleep.
Can highly recommend as stay at this Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We stayed one night in the Crowne Plaza in Helsinki and we had a great time. I would definitely come back to this hotel if I visit Helsinki. We are a family of 5 with 3 small kids. None of the hotel booking websites allow to book a room for 5 people. I ended up calling the hotel directly and they told me that having 3 small kids is no problem if I stay in a Junior suite. I got the Junior suite, it came with a king size bed and a queen size pullout sofa bed. The room had modern Scandinavian furniture and it was very clean. The bathroom was fairly large and also very clean. Our room rate included a breakfast which was delicious. Smoked salmon, local cheeses, fresh breads, all sorts of pastries and lots more. We were very pleased!!!

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly if you have any questions. They can help you find a suite for a large famil...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

I stumbled across the Crowne Plaza through lastminute.com and it was worth it. A great hotel which is about a 10 minute walk into town (easy). Staff are very knowledgeable about Helsinki and helpful in pointing out things to do. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I had high expectations for this hotel, specially because I boked a weekend away in Helsinki to celebrate my birthday. The building and the rooms are ok, but the attitude of the staff in reception was far from the experience I have became used to in the IHG hotels.

There was absolutely NO recognition of my Platinum IHG status at any point. I had to wait in the check in queue for almost 20 minutes. They didn't have a Priority Club express check in desk. It was a case of, fill this form, here's your key, go to your room. I would expect a welcome drink, or a treat in the room, but nothing. This was the first IHG property that didn't offer me an upgrade as per the terms of the rewards membership.

The room was adequate, very minimalist but with an unsightly broken wall, as you can see on the photos provided. I found the bed too narrow for 2 people and on my way out, I asked the receptionist/manager on duty if I could move to a twin room, without even looking at her computer she said 'no' and in a very patronising way started to explain that the only twin rooms they have are allocated to people who book them, as if I was a child. All the other suggestions I made in regards to the bed situation were met with negativity:

-Perhaps I could have a spare bed or rollaway bed? - NO, we don't have any

-What about just the mattress, so I can make myself a bed on the floor? - NO, we don't have any

-Do you have any rooms with a king size bed then ? - NO, all the beds are the same size

-Any rooms with a sofa, so I can try and sleep on it? - NO

In the end, her attitude was so bad, the fake smile, I decided to give up. I simply can't believe a hotel with over 300 rooms doesn't have any spare mattress in the whole building.

Not surprisingly, I had a bad night and my partner hardly slept. Not only narrow, the bed is also very hard. At least the pillows were good. And if you want to end it all, room 818 has a broken chain in the huge window, so it opens fully, a huge safety issue there.

The following day I requested a room change in the reception (or I would check out) and they found a twin room. It looked good but when I went into the bathroom to wash my hands, a very long black hair was wrapped around the bath foam, makes me wonder how dirty the rest of the room could be. This is also in the photos (we both have very short hair, so it was definitely someone else's hair. It is such a shame since the bedding is high quality and the rest of the bathroom looked very nice, with great bath robes and towels.

The pool area and the sauna were very good, clean and very large.

In the end I wish I had booked somewhere else. The only reason I chose this hotel was the rewards for loyalty and the usual perks for Platinum guests, since all I got was bad attitude, I might as well not be so loyal to the brand from now on.

Room Tip: front facing rooms have good view but noise from street.
3  Thank avs75
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Dear avs75,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Although living in Helsinki, decided to use the Crowne Plaza as the base for our wedding including international guests. Reason to choose was the location near to our home and the expectations of what is the brand Crowne Plaza and previous global experience. Sadly the reality in Helsinki proved as poor and as such a disappointment to ourselves and for our other guests who we referred. I should have know with the interest on initial enquiry when I was told that a group booking of about 15-20 guests was best made through the internet.

What made the hotel average was for starters the general service attitude each time i entered the hotel including check-in, taxi requests, food service and checkout. Next there was the failure to deliver the suite as booked by ourselves 6 months previous. Then there was the bar which closed at 12 and there were only drinks available in the room afterward meaning we and our guests had to go to the Scandic hotel nearby. Then there was the food which was very expensive and of very average standard irrelevant of price, then the coffee area in reception which was unclean and most often without milk and finally when checking out, there was not as much as a greeting no less a congratulations or a best wishes.

On top of all that, I received the automated customer survey from the hotel chain and being anxious to share my disappointment I tried to complete a very long winded survey which crashed twice near the end and created even more annoyance.

Just a poor experience

Room Tip: Not much more to say
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Donal C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2013

Dear Donal C,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and we are sorry to read that in this case you feel we have fallen short of your expectations. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed for 3 nights,we came to see Muse at the Olympic Stadium which was a 5 minute walk from the hotel. The finnair bus is an easy way to get from the airport
to your hotel-and back again at only 6,30 euros, it runs every 20 minutes.

We found the staff very friendly and helpful-we had a queen smoking room, which shows some age, but was clean and comfortable.It also has a safe to use free of charge and free Wi-Fi.
The breakfast was included in the price we paid- and well worth it. The choice was amazing, you could have anything from cooked breakfast, cold meats, bread, cereals, fruit, sweet cakes and more. You have as much as you liked-go up as many times as you liked......or do like some nationalities and load your plate up until you can't see over the top!!!!!
We knew before we arrived that it would be pricey so we were prepared, the food in the Macu resturant was good value and very tasty-the waitresses/waiters and bar staff were extremely nice and helpful.

You can walk in to the city, which takes about 10/15 minutes, we walked everywhere....although crossing the road is an art we had to master!
Had a great time and would highly recommend ++++++
We came all the way from Teignmouth Devon and was well worth it :)