“Standard not living up to the price.”

Hotel Rivoli Jardin
Ranked #27 of 65 Hotels in Helsinki
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Standard not living up to the price.”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My choice of this hotel was based on the central position and the nice photos of rooms with beautiful wallpaintings. However it turned out that there was only two such rooms (suites). We were offered a very ordinary small room, boring furnished - absolutely no luxury. So compared to the standard the price was far too high. The breakfast was good.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank birnoe
Merja_Koski_GM, General Manager at Hotel Rivoli Jardin, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Dear Madame,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Rivoli Jardin we endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a comfortable environment and do apologize that on this occasion we failed to provide this.
The images,which you had made ​​your reservation, were in different categories and
unfortunately we were so full we were not even able to upgrade you.
I understand your disappointment and hope we still have a possibility to serve you some other time.
I hope you still enjoyed your visit in Helsinki
best regards
Merja Koski

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Finnish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Enjoy your visit to Helsinki staying at the Rivoli Jardin, hidden back off a quiet and safe downtown street just a block off the Esplanade. Our two night stay included stone-quiet rest in a spotless room, along with a splendid Finnish breakfast buffet both mornings.

This was my third stay in downtown Helsinki and the first for my wife. I'll stop searching for good hotels there now that we've enjoyed this one.

We chose the Rivoli Jardin in order to be close by all the main sites yet not be stuck in a larger, more impersonal property as we came off of a business trip and launched our vacation time in Helsinki. We were not disappointed. The expected amenities are all tip-top. We needed to ship off a parcel mid-trip here as well as get a garment laundered in one day - both cheerfully handled. The hotel deposit boxes at the desk will hold a monster laptop for your peace of mind.

There's a modern, hidden grocery across the street, a bakery/cafe two doors down and loads of good dining and refreshment a block down the street along the Esplanade. It's a 10-12 minute walk from the rail terminal, easily negotiated.

Special treats included a cheerful nook for noshing if the main buffet area is busy, a fast elevator to our 5th floor room and that authentic Finnish breakfast fare, including good coffee and an espresso/cappuccino/latte machine. The cleanliness and comfort, along with the friendliness and good location combine to make for excellent value. Next time our travels take us to Helsinki this is where we'll stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RTWTraveler10
Forster, Australia
Reviewed 12 June 2013

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and we found the room to be very comfortable, the bathroom excellent and you couldn't ask for a better location - my friend and I agreed it was the best hotel we stayed at for our whole holiday.

Breakfast in the morning was plentiful (and delicious) and I liked that you could get tea, coffee, water and biscuits at any time of the day.

Am looking forward to staying here again in July.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I stayed at Rivoli Jardin in 2011 and when I went again (May 2013) I decided to book there again.
This hotel has a good location in the city center and good value. The room is clean and a good size. I like the atmosphere there and the good personal service they provide. They have free Internet and I what I really like is that they have some fruit and cakes in the lobby you can grab on your way in and out.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sverrir Jan N
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I've visited Rivoli Jardin on 14-15 May 2011 weekend with appropriate booking via booking.com

It happened that we arrived to Helsinki on 6 a.m. It was too cold and we decided to reach our hotel, get wi-fi and decide if we could find some 24hr cafe or make early checking, also get some warm coffee.

When we got Rivoli Jardin the door was closed.
I called via the doorbell

1) Receptionist answered that she can't get us in saying all rooms are occupied (I didn't say any word yet!)

2) I convinced her to get us in because it's too cold to stand outdoors. Only after I said that I've booked room she unlocked the door.

3) there was terribly cold a wind was blowing - that is totally unfriendly behavior
4) I just asked portie for wi-fi permission to sit in the hall for 30 minutes - said she can't allow us to sit there up to our check in
5) I asked porite for wi-fi access and permission to sit in hall TWICE times more - at laste she gave me a code for 24 hours for 10 euro

6) she ignored my questions about coffee/tea (i hoped it would warm us)

i agreed to register an early check in for additional 50 euro. We were suggested twin number, because the double room which I've booked (check in is after 2 p.m.) is occupied.
7) she said in NO WAY we can switch room on 2 p.m. from twin room to our reserved double room.

I was VERY confused because it is my right to get the room which i've booked via booking.com, so I assume this is a violation of booking agreement (i've not signed up any cancellation of my booking)

Nevertheless the next days, Saturday and Sunday, there were very friendly porties. But the first impression is the most memorable.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sergeytverskikh
Merja_Koski_GM, General Manager at Hotel Rivoli Jardin, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Dear Sir
thank you for your feedback, I agree 100% with you, the first impression is the most important.
Apologies for you experiences at the Hotel Rivoli Jardin.
For added security, we do keep the front doors closed during the nights/early mornings.
Customers are allowed to sit at the lobby but we do hope customers who arrive early in the morning, understand that the rooms might not be ready before the actual check-in time.
I’m sorry the receptionist failed to inform you of the coffee/tea that is available at the lobby 24/7. There are also biscuits and pastries to enjoy. We apologize for that.
The Wi-Fi is available at the reception area for additional cost of 10€.
The receptionist wanted you to have a room to rest and offered you a twin room instead of a double. The point was, to accept a different type of room for the whole stay or waiting till the room of your request was available.. (There are no laws or booking agreements that does not allow this nor would be considerate as a violation of any agreements).
We thank you for your feedback and hope these answers will give you a peace of mind. Hope your next stay at Hotel Rivoli Jardin will be more pleasurable. We wish you a sunny spring in St. Petersburg!
Saint Petersburg, Saint Petersburg City, Russia
Reviewed 28 February 2013

This hotel is nice and the mane reason for stay there is reasonable for money. It is not far from the center it is located in quiet center of Helsinki. It takes no more then 15 min from Rail way station.
Breakfast is good and you have choices, with children it is reason. Espresso for breakfast included in price. I am not sure that they have fridge in rooms.

There is no restaurant in the hotel, but near you can find few best restaurants in Helsinki Michelin choice.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Elena S
Clearwater Beach, FL
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Lovely hotel, well siuated in downtown Helsinki. Good breakfast. Helpful staff. I deducted a point because they charge 10 euro per day for the internet and still could not get to our email server - do not know what was the problem. In my opinion, charging for internet in todays market is a ratings negative.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends