“just OK”

Scandic Paasi
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I took this hotel based on rating from TA and must admit I was disapointed. I got very small (corner)room (202), without even minibar and bath tub. It was not possible to rebook, hotel was fully booked. But anyway room is just 3* for me. I gace 4* because they have a good breakfest and quite nice gym.

Room Tip: do not take corner rooms, try to ask for handicaped rooms, they are much bigger :)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Krista S, General Manager at Scandic Paasi, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear Przemyslaw R,
How very sorry and sad we are to read that you were disapointed on our single room in our 2010 building. We have six that kind of rooms at our hotel. How unfortunate that we were fully booked at that time and not able to change your room. We are so sorry about it!

For you next stay please let us help you to book a room that meets your wishes and needs ; a room with bathtub, minibar and more space. We are so happily at your service! Please send us an email to paasi@scandichotels.com when you know your travelling dates and would like to make a reservation. Let's make sure together that you will get best our of your next stay!

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and gym. Wonderful! We truly hope to see you again at Scandic Paasi. Our best regards to you to Copenhagen Denmark!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,404)

Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my 2 nights here it is certainly a very comfy clean hotel and service is very good, friendly and attentive.
The room was also fine with an exceptionally good (if small) shower. Bed was extremely comfortable.
Good value stay too.
It's not quite top notch quality here for me to give it 5* but would recommend and would consider staying again.

Stayed: April 2014

Dear GorillaFoot,
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest in April. Thank you for choosing Scandic Paasi and sharing your own experience with other travellers. Your recommendation means a lot to us, thank you. We hope to see you again - warmly welcome!

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Let's start with the best point of the stay, the one that would make me coming back: the breakfast! I am usually pretty critical about this point, but here I could (almost) not fault it. The choice was amazing (French-moaner-approved pastries) and the quality present too (crispy bacon, yeah!). Ok, two slight drawbacks: 1) while the orange juice was good, the grapefruit juice looked like syrup based, over-sugary and chemical. 2) coming from the elevator, the breakfast room was not easy to find, as we had to cross another dining room that was used for other cafe-like purposes on our first day.

Apart from that, as said in the previous reviews, the service is just excellent, both friendly and helpful, the rooms original but still functional, and we had a pretty interesting price, thanks to Scandic loyalty program.

Location is good: we feared being too far from Helsinki center to visit the city during our short stay (in Winter), but a large choice of public transportation is right next to the hotel (bus, tramway and subway) and there are a few restaurants and shops around too. In summer, it should be a nice 15 minutes walk to the center.

A real drawback was parking facilities. The main option is an underground parking belonging to a sport complex, 200-300 meters away from the hotel, and pretty pricey (20€ for 1 day, 34 for 2 days). During winter, with luggage, it is not really convenient. I hesitated to give only a 4/5 for this reason, but the breakfast saved the day. :)

Overall a great stay, congratulations and thank you!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nico_nc
Krista S, General Manager at Scandic Paasi, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Dear nico_nc,
Thank you so much for investing your time and sharing your experience. Our breakfast team is so very happy to read your positive comments about our breakfast. Your story inspires them even more giving extra energy and motivation. Thank you! We were happy to read that you are now “Scandic Friend”, members of our loyalty program. We hope to be able to welcome you often from Toulouse France to Scandic Paasi Helsinki! Warmly welcome!

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Nice location in Helsinki (not far from the inner lake and not far either from the local fresh market on the big square behind)
Brand new hotel, great design for lobby and I guess for rooms, though see below:
Very spacious rooms with a little strange decoration (miniature punching ball on wall and heart shaped red cushions on bed, making me feel almost like a chic brothel, but ok, I might be overconservative)... Missing handles to open the windows, so no fresh air for 3 days, I don't like it, but I guess I am not too smelly as air wasn't stufffy even after 3 days... And very good, they have ironing facilities and that's great for business travellers like me who have too much samples to carry to keep clothes well ironed!
Very good breakfast, beware of IPad juice!!! Decoration in breakfast room a little sad.
Convenient restaurant inside the hotel (accross the courtyard or via basement corridor)
good service from reception, mini shop with all what's needed available.
Lift a little slow
Quite high priced but I reserved late and service is worth it I guess
Otherwise very good, will stay there again !

Room Tip: I had 304 with strange design, so if you don't like heart shaped cushions or mini punching balls...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Pantinette,
We enjoyed a lot reading your Scandic Paasi experience, and got so happy to read your last words - thought of staying at Paasi again. Wonderful! Please let us then introduce you to our other room interior design. You stayed now in a room, where interior design is called “leisure”. You might like our other theme more. It’s called “conscious”, and in that theme we have some rooms with balconies facing to our courtyard. In those rooms you are able to enjoy fresh air during you stay by opening balcony door. We hope to meet you very soon again. Our best regards to you to France!

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I spent two nights at the Scandic Passi this past month and had a very pleasant stay.

The staff, facilities, and location are excellent and out of the three hotels I've stayed in Helsinki, would return to an instant. Arriving on an early morning flight, I took the public bus 615 from Helsinki Airport and it was a short 30 minute ride to Hakaniemi (€ 5 on-board the bus, although with a Helsinki Transit Card it would be € 3,65) where the bus stop was literally a minute away from the hotel. Looking just to drop off my bag, I was pleasantly surprised when the staff offered me my room right away even though it was still early in the morning.

The room while small (which is usual for Helsinki and Europe in general) had everything you could need and was fully functional. Internet was fast and free, iron and ironing board present, small safe, and a minibar for any last minute needs. Beds were comfortable, although if you're not used to Nordic single-person beds, you may want to ask for a double or queen size bed instead of two twins.

Breakfast was included and had an ample selection of Finnish choices as well as your standard pastries and cereal. Compared to the usual continental breakfast in America, there was an excellent spread. The fitness center was small but usable, and there seemed to be a good vibe in the hotel lobby at night.

The location is a short walk to the center of town (10 to 15 minutes depending if you're going to the market or train station) and well connected to the trams and metro. There's a supermarket just outside of the hotel and a pleasant market hall in the square nearby. In honesty, I preferred staying in Hakaniemi on this trip instead of the center and would gladly choose the Scandic Paasi again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Aram K
Krista S, General Manager at Scandic Paasi, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear redeyetraveller,
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest all the way from San Francisco. We would like to thank you a lot for your travel review of Scandic Paasi. Getting so positive analysis from experienced traveler like you means so much for us. Humble and happy thanks from all of us. We hope to meet you soon again, and wish you a beautiful spring!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I liked that hotel very much. Everything was super. Great service, very helpful reception and staff, good breakfast with great variety of foods, free wi-fi everywhere, clean room with comfi bed. The interior of the hotel was really cool - lot of Scandinavian design items. And it's not that far from city center, maybe ~15 min. walk.
The only downside is parking - hotel didn't have its own parking. There was plenty of space on the street in front of the hotel, but you could pay up to 4 hours, so I had to remember to go out every 4h to pay for the parking - it was inconvenient.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank TomasTT

Dear Tomas TT,
We feel super happy. Thank you so much for sharing your positive Scandic Paasi experience.
During your next visit we would like to help you with parking by introducing you to our parking partner, who has parking area under Hakaniemi market square, about 150 meter’s walking distance from our hotel. You might find their parking facilities convenient. Warmly welcome again!

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I spent my New Years Eve in this hotel and I absolutely loved it.

It may seem to be far away from the city center of Helsinki, but actually it is just a 10-15 min. walk from the train station.

One of the coolest parts of the hotel is the interior. It has a very modern and quirky Scandinavian style that just makes you feel like you are in the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. The service is helpful and very welcoming. The rooms are not very big, but it does not bother that much since the shower is quite huge.

Breakfast was very delicious and had a great variety of Finnish foods in addition to classical breakfast menu. I really liked the variety of fresh juices that were available.

All in all, I recommend this place to everyone and I was very happy with my stay. Waking uo in this hotel was a great beginning of the new year!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Piret K

Dear Piret K,
Happy New Year 2014 to you! We wish you many magical and inspiring moments for this year. We are so happy that we had an opportunity to start this wonderful year with you as our guest. Our best regards to you to Tallinn Estonia. Hope to meet you soon again!