“Not up to Hilton Standards!”

Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa
Ranked #10 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I chose this hotel as it had a beach and advertised a swimming pool and my daughter loves swimming. When we arrived there was a sign warning against swimming in the sea due to a blue-green algal bloom - not Hilton's fault obviously. No bother, we would use the pool instead we thought. Only problem with that is that the pool is closed between 10 am and 5pm! If I had known that when booking then I would have gone elsewhere.

It was very warm in Helsinki during our trip and the room was like an oven and I couldn't work out how to get the ac working so I went to reception to ask for instructions. Turns out the reason I couldn't get it to work is that there was no ac!. No ac in a Hilton hotel I found to be unacceptable. I was advised by reception to open the window. I don't know whether you have been to Helsinki in August but if you have you will know that mosquitoes and other biting insect thrive and Hilton, in their wisdom, have decided not to fit fly screens on the windows so we spent the next hour trying to kill all the mosquitoes that had entered our room (and there were many of them)! So, choose your poison, boil in the heat or get bitten to pieces. We chose the boiling option and had a dreadful nights sleep.

On the plus side the location is good as there is a tram stop very nearby and the staff were helpful. The duty manager got me a jug of fresh milk for tea as they only provide the awful powdered creamer as standard

Given our overall experience I would never stay here again and I am now questioning whether I will automatically accept Hilton as an acceptable option without questioning my decision.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any! May not be such a problem if you book in the winter. If you must st...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Burgmeister66

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

This hilton just on the out akirts of Helsinki offers a wide selection of business rooms. Stayed here a few times and still looking fresh. Seem to get rooms that are in the main wing and overlook the bay lake. The attached restaurant offers a good evening selection and reasonable costs and with a bay oitside swating is a good placet to sit and eat whilst viewing the lake etc. Travel into the city centre via local tram whit you get just 1 min walk from the hotel or taxi.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2014

my room 321 was really noisy because just underneath the terrace , so no sleep till 1 am and from 8 am , really a shame as room was nice and confy ….i Suggest the manager should sleep in this room when terrace is full in order to understand what it means…my complain did not resolve the problem though desk personal and terrace manager were really kind……no acoustic isolation between the room and terrace……..!!!!!! really a shame

Room Tip: my room 321 was really noisy because just underneath the terrace , so no sleep till 1 am and from 8...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Unfortunately there was some small uninvited guests in my room and bed ;(
After the first "statement" I had to wait overnight (and share my bed with this little guests) until they changed my room. I took some pictures and then they believed that I wasn´t alone in my room. Even that they saw my very nasty bite marks.
Nature around this hotel is lovely and with the tram there is a very good connection to the city... Beautiful view from my room...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mikamilla
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Best hotel I've stayed at in Helsinki. Very calm and tranquil but only 15m from the centre of Helsinki. Great evening meal and polite staff. Only hotel I've been too with an 88mm flak cannon in the back yard. Top stuff. Only downer would appear to be the limited hours the pool is open.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This Hilton Hotel was a lovely place to stay our last night in Finland. Beautiful, clean, wonderful service, and a great meal. We will definitely stay there on our way in to Helsinki the next time we go to Finland!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Our room faced the bay, where we could watch people swim, paddle board, wind surf, canoe, etc. Rentals were available beside the hotel. The trees and water made a perfect setting. It was about a 3 minute walk to the tram, which took us into the city, with several stops at the tourist areas. We were within walking distance to the open air museum. The buffet breakfast was very good and the staff was friendly and helpful. There was no executive lounge. There was only one nearby restaurant close to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple