Scandic Marski
  • Restaurant
Omena Hotel(Helsinki)
  • Restaurant
1,674 results
All reviewsgreat locationstockmann department storetrain stationcentral locationmini barhotel bardecent hotelbreakfast buffet isthe heart of the cityvisit helsinkinice breakfastbusiness tripsaunamannerheimintieesplanadebathtubforum
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 June 2014

First! The staff were very nice and I can't fault them for anything that was wrong during my stay. But this is not a hotel I would be eager to stay again. The room was dated. The bathroom so small that when I opened the door it slammed into the toilet. If you want slippers you have to purchase them, a first for me at what I thought was at least a four star hotel. I can't tell you about the mini bar since it stubbornly remained shut no matter how much I jimmied with the key or pulled at the door. The television was a very nice flat screen with excellent picture. Breakfast was good but limited and only available between 08:00 and 11:00, but it was a holiday so maybe those were their holiday hours, in fairness, I didn't ask. The free internet was a decent speed.
I was in a room across from the stairs and elevator, but let's not blame the hotel for inconsiderate guests, who spoke in voices one usually reserve for when speaking at a football game! But the door if better fitted and thicker may have help muffel the noise.
There are multi wings to this hotel. I asked to be away from the main street and was placed in the back (addition) wing. A bit of a hike but not so bad or it wouldn't have been if there were bag handlers available to assist guest with their luggage. I'm disable and had to pull my medium size suitcase and carry on from one elevator to another old fashion one in the back to go to the other levels of the hotel. Many times (four times during my stay) someone would leave the door of the old elevator open, forcing other guests to carry their suitcases down many flights of stairs. But again one can't really blame the hotel for the inconsider guest but I can for not installing a modern elevator or even putting a bigger warning sign or buzzer (guest are already having to listen to the other noisy guest anyway, so what the heck).
I wouldn't mention any of this if I was paying 60 euros a night or even 70, that would be a fair price. But I paid 117 for one night and 108 for each of the remaining nights. A 4-5 star price for a 2- 3 star hotel is what compelled me to write this review. Having paid 112 for a very high standard 5 star hotel only two weeks before makes me feel even more obligated.
If being close to the center of the city is important to you than this hotel is certainly very close and perfect for you if you don't mind paying a high price for medium level hotel. I would research others in the area before staying at the Scandic Marski on Mannerheimintie again.

Room Tip: If you book this hotel, think and expect Days Inn experience and you will be happy!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Although I had requested a non-smoking room with a queen/king-size bed when I made the reservation, the only room they had available when we arrived with a queen/king-size bed was in a smoking room. My fiancé and I decided to take the smoking room anyway since we figured it should be fine as long as we open the windows or turn on the air conditioner. Lo and behold, the windows did not open and the air conditioner in the room was broken! The hotel did not offer anything to compensate for any it.

Since we were out for most of the time we were in Helsinki, we didn't get a chance to try the breakfast (which was included) and the sauna (which was free).

The location was both a positive and a negative. It's right smack in the city center so it was easy to get around to all the sites, shops, restaurants, and parks. But for the same reason, we were woken up by construction at 8:30 on a Saturday morning.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dreamyr227
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location right in the centre of Helsinki and very close to transport links. The staff were very friendly and the price is reasonable, but the hotel itself is only ok. I got one of the renovated rooms and it was pleasant and a good size. There are still renovations going on though, so it was quite noisy.

Overall a good value option.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lightup
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Hi,

. the moment of writing I'm at the street terrace of the hotel enjoying a nice gin tonic and admiring the sunny surroundings.

The staff has been very friendly, the rooms have everything you need and breakfast is also decent.

I don't know how old the hotel is, but the rooms do look "retro". The WiFi on the other hand is one of the best.

In the end this is a nice hotel for someone on a business trip or city trip, right in the city center of Helsinki.

PS: if you have trouble sleeping in a room where its not completely dark like me, bring sonething to cover your eyes. Finland in the summer gets very light!

Room Tip: If you want tea or coffee facilities on the room (some reviewers talked about the lack of it), you need the superior room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I keep checking in here since it has a great location in Helsinki and is also really cheap. The hotel is really old and the interior has a feeling of "Finland Ferry" (this is a very bad thing), feels like nothing has been changed since mid 80s. There are some renovated rooms located in a very remote part of this huge hotel. Service is OK and it is good value for money since it is very cheap and has an excellent location. But there are many much nicer hotels in the area. Bathrooms are terrible, breakfast area and reception are very un-charming.

Room Tip: Get a newly renovated room in the remote part (5 minute walk from closest elevator :-))
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business