“Great meeting room and terrace on the 8th floor....”

Scandic Simonkentta
Ranked #24 of 65 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nice, France
“Great meeting room and terrace on the 8th floor....”
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Central business come weekend tourist hotel. Its modern, open and informal in that typically Scandinavian way with no frills or anything plush or particularly memorable. I recommend taking a free bike if you have the time and the weather is clement. Helsinki is compact & plenty of cycle paths but be aware that some of the bikes do not have lever breaks (reverse pedal to brake) so the first few kilometres may be hair-raising! Great meeting room on the 8th floor with terrace and bbq facility should you need it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
warwick, England
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights. It is in a great location for getting around helsinki. The buses and trams are nearby and the main shopping (Kamppi) is right next to hotel. The room was clean and tidy and the beds comfortable. We ate in the restaurant which was pricey (aren;t they all in helsinki) but the food was excellent. Breakfast was included in the price and it was fresh and plenty of choices both hot and cold. The staff were not very friendly but were efficient when asked a question.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Curitiba, PR
Reviewed 21 May 2011

I've always had good experiences with Scandic hotels. Scandic Simonkentta was a very pleasant experience. The hotel is extremely well located, the room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast very satisfactory. The staff were attentive. I had a problem with my luggage at the airport and got aid by hotel staff, with the exception of an employee that I don't remember the name. There is a shopping mall next to the hotel. If you go to Helsinki I certainly recommend this hotel.
I emphasize that it is a hotel for those who will make tourism, walking through the city. Certainly at the end of the day you will be able to relax in your room. The restaurant was very good also.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 26 April 2011

I am a frequent traveller to Helsinki, and If compared to other 4* hotels Scandic Simonkentta delivers the worst service in the city, and the price is no single cent lower. 1) Upon arrival quite late we found our rooms incompletely cleaned. 2) In the Easter night some children started playing hockey in floor's hall - no reaction from front desk until we called concierge twice (!). 3) At breakfast the restauarant constantly ran out of deserts, well, it was Easter, but it's natural, that there will be more people staying at the hotel. 4) a piece of food was left unattended for 4 hours in hall outside our door.
Moreover, at check-in we were asked if we booked 2 rooms, and we
clarified to the front desk man, that this was incorrect - we booked
only ONE room. So I was very frustrating to get messages from my travel agent and bank infoming me about charge-off a penalty due to NOSHOW - NON-STAYING IN THE HOTEL. It's absurd. Both me and my wife spent several hours putting letter to the hotel management to solve this problem, yet the only answer we got was "Thank you for your email. I see that you were here then and booked two rooms from booking.com. These rooms were *** and ***. We have no info of any penalties. This is basically all we know."
So, it's totally mismanaged hotel, and I do suggest to find other places to stay in Helsinki with same price but much more hospitality.

Room Tip: Don't ever stay at this hotel
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anton P
Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed 5 April 2011

I wasn't staying in such clean and nice hotel in Helsinki for a while. So it rooms are spacy and clean, a bit strange paintings, but as many opinion as many people. Clean bathroom, maybe you could expect some vanity sets for such hotel, but shower gel was there. Huge, breakfast, around 8 it was quite crowdy, so some food was missing. Next morning we went later and it was excelent.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank SL069
S.E. PA
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Because of the snow there were plows running in the plaza outside at 4 in the morning. Very noisy. Trash trucks as well. Rooms are standard size for Helsinki. Decent business hotel. Lobby bar is nothing special. Getting a taxi can be a challenge in the morning. Suggest you book one in advance if you can.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 January 2011

I chose this hotel for my first Helsinki visit after trawling reviews and finding a great price on it. I stayed for four nights last week and I'm still grinning about the whole experience.

After a long train trip from Kuopio lugging a 20kg suitcase, it was a breeze getting there as you only need to take the 3T-Eläintarha tram one stop from the station to Simonkatu, and you're on the doorstep. When I got there and asked if I could leave my bags to go out, reception automatically offered to check me in instead, though it was two hours early.

Everything about the hotel is stylish, spotlessly clean, modern and polished, from the rooms to the sauna and gym. The included buffet breakfast is large, Nordic-influenced (think blueberry soup, mini Finnish rice pies..), and good.

But to me, the real winning factor about this hotel is location, location, LOCATION. It's less expensive than the hotels which are right by the train station, yet the 3T tram, one of Helsinki's great sightseeing routes, is right at the door along with several buses. And that's only the beginning of the convenience, because the hotel lift opens straight into the big adjacent Kamppi Shopping Centre if you take it to the bottom floor. That gives you easy access to shopping, food, Kamppi Metro Station, as well as an easy route to/from different blocks of the city such as Fredrikinkatu, Annankatu and Salomonkatu. I was able to duck in and out of the hotel for short breaks from sightseeing or to pick up stuff I forgot without wasting any valuable time, because it is just so central and well-linked to the city. I was able to go on spur-of-the-moment tram cruises or walks around the city whenever I so wished.

This is a great hotel in a great city. I can't wait to stay here again, and I highly recommend it to all.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo