“Good but somewhat overpriced”

Scandic Simonkentta
Ranked #24 of 65 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersSilver level
Geneva, Switzerland
“Good but somewhat overpriced”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed for one night in the middle of the week, booked only last-minute.

The hotel is nice and very conveniently located, the staff is friendly, breakfast standard for Scandic hotels, and the room a bit on a small side but clean and functional nevertheless. The hotel feels overpriced for what it is, though (we paid 185euro/night). So book early for better price and you'll be satisfied!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 August 2013

The location can't be beat: it's close to the train station, museums, great restaurants (try Gaijin which is a 10 minute walk) and the absolutely fantastic design neighborhood that is a wonderful place to walk around. Rooms are very functional and basic; good outlet placement so you can work in bed plugged in, though the wifi should be faster but all in all it's comfortable. I liked the lounge area in the lobby, the breakfast is fine, sort of standard hotel buffet that caters to business travelers. The gym is small but well equipped with resistance machines, a treadmill, a rowing machine and a stationary bike (no elliptical, though.) A sauna is expected in Finland and it's utilitarian - it could have been a bit warmer and the opening hours are fairly short, odd since it's not staffed.

The reason for the 3 rating is the security seems fairly lax. I checked in in a big group and unbeknownst to us, there were thieves lurking in the lobby, working in tandem who made off with 2 people's stuff - they lost everything: money, passports, credit cards, phones, etc. The hotel didn't seem overly surprised by this and then when I checked out, I left my luggage in their storage room. I wasn't given any claim check or anything. I came back to get it that evening and the desk clerk pushed a button that opened the storage room down the hall. I could have just walked in off the street and said my luggage was there and the door would have been opened, equally, I could have walked off with somebody else's suitcase. They need a better system and a better sense that Helsinki has a crime problem. I would stay there again, but I would be extra vigilant.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank extrapagespassport
London
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Reception and check in were very good, room was standard, twin beds, one mattress seemed a little bowed so I used the other bed which was comfortable enough. Decor is minimal. Bathroom was a wet room. Was a little cold at night. Breakfast had a good selection- continental, cereals, breads, porridge and hot (English- there were baked beans!) breakfast to choose from. Staff very helpful; though we had checked out, we were given access to a private area to get changed after our business meeting, before our flight. There is a sauna and gym as well, though i didn't have time to use either. V close to centre with train station, bars, restaurants and shops within a few minutes walk.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This hotel is centrally located for the train station and a short walk from the airport shuttle bus. Rooms are a good size, clean and quiet. Staff are good too. Breakfast is always included at Scandic hotels and it's pretty good too.

• Stayed August 2013
Helsinki
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Scandic Simonkenttä is basic Scandic style with great location next to Kamppi shopping center. You walk to the railway station in less than 10 minutes. The rooms are clean, furniture a bit dated tho and staff professional. The breakfast was same as in most Scandic hotels, at least in Finland, it seamed. Something for everyone. We went for breakfast after 9 and it was very crowded. However, the receptionist did say at check in that after 9 it´s gonna be busy at breakfast, and so it was. Our room was facing the Narikkatori square. Even tho we were on the 4th floor we heard some music and other noises from outside. But we were so tired that it didn´t bother us that much.
I can recommend Scandic Simonkettä if you´re looking for a nice basic hotel from the city center.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Helsinki
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Had visitors staying here in June and cannot recommend this hotel to anyone. Paid 200 euros for a night and wished that I had put my money on some other hotel! The staff were not helpful at all (on several occasions!) and when trying to contact the hotel by phone, the phone was busy for more than an hour! I sent feedback to the hotel chain first by email, but kept getting nothing but an appalling "Sorry for the inconvenience" replies. In the end decided to send feedback by snail mail too, thought that perhaps it would be a more effective way to make them realise what crappy experience we had and guess what? I never got a reply to the snail mail feedback! Based on this experience I wish to avoid Scandic chain altogether, not just this Scandic Simonkenttä.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BabyHelsinki
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I have just stayed there more than two weeks while on a longer business trip, and I was satisfied. Staff was really nice and helpful, room was clean and regularly cleaned, although the furniture seemed rather dated. Breakfast was typical hotel breakfast, nothing special about it - after two weeks a little boring though. :)

I have been to several Scandic Hotels, and this was the first where the receptionist asked me if I wanted to participate in their membership program. I was not in a hurry so I joined and I am happy I did; I am actually unhappy that I was not asked to join earlier! They gave me a 6 Euro coupon for each day and 20% discount for the restaurant which is an awesome restaurant.

Did not use the sauna, but used the gym every other day. It is not bad, compared to other hotel gyms but still just a hotel gym. When there are more than two people in it, it gets rather crowded.

One thing that was a bit annoying: the elevator never accepted my key card for the first time, sometimes not even for the second time, and I saw other people suffering from it.
Also, it may be a Scandic problem: the beds are too soft for me...

Room Tip: Lower floors must be noisy. 4th floor was okay, unless the window was open.