“Fantastic venue, easy internet connections and a good experience”

Scandic Simonkentta
Ranked #24 of 65 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersSilver level
Aalborg, Denmark
“Fantastic venue, easy internet connections and a good experience”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Have just had my 3rd visit. Simply love the location, which is right at the center of everything. Everything fully lives up to my expecations in the hotel. One particular thing to highlight could be the Wifi connections. I am a seasoned traveller, and I have had many negative experiences with complicated setups. Not at this hotel though, you simply connect and you may surf. No need to re-enter passwords, room number, last name or anything. Breakfast was nice, lots of variety. I will definitely love to come back again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 12 October 2013

The room we had was quite basic, but very nice. A bit small though.
It was in the 1st floor, facing the road, but we weren't interrupted by the noise.
The hotel is in a good overall condition.
We were in the hotel's sauna and gym, which were both very nice, quiet and in a good condition.
The breakfast was REALLY great, with a very diversified menu and high quality food.
The location of it is really good, as there's a tram stop just outside the hotel's door. The central station is also just a few minutes walk, and there's a shopping mall, restaurant and bars just around the corner.
We were very satisfied with this hotel, especially considering the low price (in comparison with Helsinki...). We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Kapelle, the Netherlands
Reviewed 10 October 2013

this hotel in the centre of Helsinki is quite new and has a contemporary styling. Rooms were neat and clean and I loved the Scandinavian look. Breakfast was one of the best I ever had, so much choice that I felt sorry that I could not enjoy more. Unfortunately the bar doesn't open until 5 o'clock, what is quite odd from my point of view. I thought this hotel quite expensive per night, but aren't all hotels in Helsinki priced like castles.

Room Tip: I had a room facing the road, but noise didn't hinder my night's rest
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Hollola, Finland
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Even if this hotel has been in use already in 14 years it stands for good Finnish design and quality. We got the room in 6th floor with the view towards Kamppi, the House of the Parliament and we could even see the amusement park Linnanmäki. The room was bright, spacious and tidy. Extra points were given to the bathroom with many practical solutions.

The only minus was the pillow. It was like a pile of rags. It is time to change them.

The breakfast was quite good. It is better to go there early or just before the closing time. We went about 9:30 and it was very crowdy.

Location is fantastic whatever you like to do in Helsinki.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This hotel does the job, but not more.

Pros:
- Great location
- Good value for money for central Helsinki

Cons:
- Not possible to borrow bikes (even if it's stated on their webpage)
- Small beds/rooms
- Not convivial or friendly

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Functional rather than luxurious. Rooms are small but clean - cjeck in took to long. Breakfast good but we weren't able to find a decent place in the hotel for a beer and a snack - so we went to Harry's Bar just across he square which was great.

Not great value for money - but then nothing much in Finland is.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 September 2013

It took me quite long time to get a room which I liked because most of their rooms have double twin beds. The rooms with the queen size beds have no views and they look to two different buildings. Forget the privacy and you must keep the curtains always closed.
After long time arguing and paying extra 20 Euros per night extra, I got a room with a nice wide view to the plaza below. However, the room had very small twin beds.

The mattresses are thin... I was disappointed that the cleaning woman did not do a thorough job.
She just made the beds and left as it looked like. No bathroom cleaning and no floor sweaping etc. I stayed for 6 nights and they did not change my bed sheets although I had asked the cleaning woman couple times.

The breakfast was OK but there was an incident which was disappointing. I was trying to get a table which was just vacated. I asked the male waiter to clean up the table. He took the trays and left. I went after him and asked him again to wipe the table. He argued that the table is clean. When I talked to his supervisor, he came back, looking vicious, I thought he would punch me any second. I never saw a maniac like that in my life.

Anyhow the manager apologized and offered me free drinks.

I am sure that maniac will cause a big problem to them some day.

The personnel is overall fine but not that warm and inviting.

I will avoid to stay there as I had stayed at Radisson Blu which is a much better and higher class hotel and accordingly more expensive.

Sometimes it pays off to pay more and get the quality stay and service.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business