“Basic Compact Rooms. Too Small for Two people!”
Review of GLO Hotel Art

GLO Hotel Art
Ranked #19 of 65 Hotels in Helsinki
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Basic Compact Rooms. Too Small for Two people!”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed three nights in March 2014. The hotel looks great outside and the reception area is cosy and decorated in a cool and quirky way. Location is good in the design district and 10 minutes walk to the centre of Helsinki. The staff were great at check in and offered to upgrade our room for an extra 15 euro's per night if we wanted more space. we declined as we spend little time in the room on city breaks and so thought this was not needed. BIG MISTAKE! The double room is the tiniest hotel room i have ever stayed in. You open the main door to a narrow corridor with floor to ceiling built in wooden units on one side and a floor to ceiling glass wall the other. Behind the glass wall is the bathroom- no bath just a double sized shower unit in size, with glass walls forming two cubicles, one has the shower, the other the toilet and sink. This was too small, but functional and clean. The wooden built in unit houses sliding panels to reveal mirrors and wardrobe space for at a push two to three items which hang flat to the wall, and the safe. At the end of this short corridor is the bedroom. It literally has enough space for the bed, and a one legged person to hop around it. There is no room for even hand luggage to be stored and no where to put things if you unpack. Our two hand luggage spent our stay blocking the minimal floor space there was to move around in. The room was decorated well with reclining bed and a good TV. Wifi is free for the really slow stuff, extra for the average speed and really overpriced if you need the fast stuff to work with. Most hotels have the fast stuff free. This is a theme in the hotel, the pillows are poor, but for an extra charge you can have better pillows from the sleep menu. The Breakfast is included and fairly good, if you want your eggs poached, thats an extra five euro's please! Bacon will set you back seven euro's! Given that we paid a fair price for a double room in a design hotel i was expecting much more. The room would be fine for a single traveller if it had a single bed in it, not good enough for a couple, and why should you pay extra for the things other hotels provide as a matter of course??? We did not complain as we felt the hotel staff were doing a great job, and did not want any hassle on a packed weekend away. The Glo Art needs to rethink its pricing policies and the extra charges it has in abundance for things you expect to be part of a modern hotel experience. The room we stayed in should not be allocated to couples staying in the hotel as it simply is too small.

Room Tip: If you are happy to pay extra for a room and services ordinary hotels include, then go ahead and boo...
3 Thank Lobodoh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed there last week (March 2014) and decided to upgrade our room to the executive room and I'm glad we did. Staff were very friendly and it's situated just on the outskirts of the city center and a 5-10 min walk will see you in the middle of everything. I'd definitely return as the prices were superb for what we wanted.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night in March on a business trip and my overall impression was pretty good.

The hotel was actually book via Expedia, which including the flights was fairly cheap.

The hotel is tidy and well kept, the reception staff were polite and the breakfast that I had was a nice enough buffet, with just one downside. I did notice some small flies around the bread and meats while I was in there, which put me off a little. All of the food is uncovered, so perhaps not as clean as it could be, but other than that seemed quite nice. I've marked the hotel as Average for cleanliness for this reason, everything else was nice and clean.

The room that I had was 115, on the ground floor right at the back of the hotel. This meant that I had quite a way to walk, but at the same time meant that I had a nice quiet room (I'm not sure if they are all quiet, mine was). I was pleasantly surprised by the room, it was modern and well kept. The bathroom was small but clean and the bed comfy. It also had a nice big TV, although there wasn't really much to watch. It was a little dark due to the red walls and dark wood, but I'm not too worried about the interior design decisions! The internet connection in my room was ok too, not fast as I just went for the free option, but it did the job.

The reception for the hotel is dark, with vaulted ceilings, but this is actually pretty cool and quirky. I also checked out the menu for the hotel (I didn't eat there) and it seemed fairly limited and perhaps not cheap, but obviously can't comment on the quality.

I didn't need to walk anywhere the next day as most of my meetings were not central so I can't say if the location was great or not, but it seemed fairly central and close to things, so I can't complain. The taxi from the airport was about 40-45 Euros, so not cheap but a fairly quick journey.

Generally I'd say that this hotel was pretty good and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: 115 was nice enough
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank bolana1
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 18 March 2014

It`s quite special inside -out , rooms are very modern and functional ,extremely clean and quite central serving up a very good breakfast , wi-fi and smiling faces at the reception desk that are willing to do a bit more than usual like offering the room as you arrive in the morning . They have some small rooms that you can upgrade for only 15 Eu and you are set . It`s a very pleasant stay you surely will like .

Calgary
Reviewed 13 March 2014

A pretty nice hotel. The bed was very comfortable, bathroom was clean and modern, and breakfast was very good. The room was fairly small, but recently renovated. Price was reasonably good value. Nice neighbourhood, no safety concerns.

It is a bit of a walk (10-15 minutes) to the centre of town, but enjoyable if the weather is good.

I found the Hotel Glo web-site confusing in that they mixed and matched descriptions of the Kluuvi and Art hotel services (this might have been cleaned up - I wrote this review a year after staying there). I thought there was a Sauna in the Glo Art, which turned out to be wrong.

The lack of a Sauna in the hotel forced me to travel to the Sauna Arla - which is well worth visiting!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Москва
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night at middle comfort category room, the room was spacious, clean. But the best thing is a bed. It was so very much convenient for sleeping, just amazing, I felt so good after such a sweet sleep. It was a pity a hotel doesn't have room service and you can't order light meal to you room and late in the evening you can't get anything. No teapot in the room, but you can add one for separate fee n the site. Location is good, 7-10 min walk to city center where central train station is also located. Bathroom is super nice.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
palacekamp, Guest Relations at GLO Hotel Art, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Natalia_Balashova,

Thank you for your review about our property. We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your guest bedroom and especially our beds, which are designed here in Finland especially for the comfort of our guests. We would also like to thank you for your comment about room service, the comment will definitely be taken into consideration when are improving our services.

Warm greetings from Helsinki Design District, see you next time you are in town!

Behalf team GLO Art,
Enni Viuhkonen
Guest Relations
lewes uk
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed for three days during a cold snowy January. I had previously stayed at GLO Kluvvi and enjoyed it so when the Art was showing cheaper room rates I thought it was worth at try for this trip. I had booked the cheapest compact room but the charming reception staff gave me a complimentary upgrade to a bigger room in the building behind reception. The lift was not working but it was only two flights up so no problem and no key card doors to get through.
Room was a good size, still on the compact size but nice design and comfortable, small bathroom but good shower and toiletries.
The breakfast was great with a good choice and decent coffee and juice, a shame that cooked eggs and bacon were extra but there was enough else not to need that to get plenty to eat.
I felt the location was a bit of a trek from the station in winter months but there are some lovely shops and restaurants in the area and in the summer it must be lovely. The covered market close by has some nice places to eat too.
As mentioned, I found the staff to be helpful and charming and the old building is lovely and historic, the library is a nice place to sit and enjoy a drink.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business