“Fabulous reception area”
Review of GLO Hotel Art

GLO Hotel Art
Ranked #21 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We particularly loved the reception and bar area of this hotel, having chosen it online because it appeared to have more character than any of the others, even though the rooms are modern. Very good quality breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: All are double glazed so very quiet.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

GLO Hotel must be the terminus for lots of bus tours in the region as it was mayhem when we arrived....people and luggage everywhere and a very officious lady trying (loudly)to cross everyone's name off a list and assign them to their rooms. The welcome at reception was moderately cool and we were given rooms on the sixth floor(more of that later!) which we were told were "very quiet".....'

Good points: the room, though small (think postage stamp) was really quite well designed and tried to make the best use of a tiny space. It was also quite good value....I think it worked out at about £85 per night. There were unusual touches (both good and and) such as an electric bed (very nice to play with!) but no hanging space and no literature on the room so you didn't know how anything worked or where it was located (for instance, the light in the bathroom which I had to leave on all night!)

Bad points: Our room was on the sixth floor of the annex (don't!!!) and took 2 lifts, 4 keys (each with a lock) and endless corridors of unfriendly looking doors to reach your destination. The hassle each time you wanted to go back to your room was, well really, not worth it. My friend said "Oh well, we're only sleeping there" but that's not the point, is it? Why is it like being a contestant in a survival show just to find your room? The location is dreary and uninteresting and just too far to walk to and from Helsinki's really lovely harbour-side night life.

all in all, ok (just) but it's the Kamp Hotel for me next time.

Room Tip: DON'T go to the sixth floor of the annex!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank jonathan a
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Located about a 10-15 minute walk to the middle of Helsinki this hotel is in a good location. We stayed here for 2 nights in May in a large double room (room 430). The hotel was easy to find from the ferry terminal (we got the tram). It was around five minutes on the tram and then a five minute walk from the tram stop to the hotel. Check in was friendly and efficient and we were able to check into our room early which was a bonus. The room itself was a good size and on a corner so had lots of natural light with one of the comfiest beds I have slept in for a long time. The bathroom again was a good size with a big rain shower (but no bath). When in the shower you are separated from the rest of the room by frosted glass so modesty is preserved! We had breakfast included in our room rate. Usual buffet style (with the option to purchase additional items such as omelettes and poached eggs). Lots of choice: cereal, meats, cheeses, fish, salads, yogurts, toast, scrambled eggs, pastries etc. along with tea, coffee and juices. There is a 24 hour supermarket and cash machine over the road from the hotel which are both very convenient. The hotel bar is in the lobby so you wouldn't really want to spend a huge amount of time there. Also, as is the rest of Helsinki, the bar isn't cheap. A coffee will set you back €3.50 (for not amazing coffee) and a draft beer €6.60. The receptionist was really friendly, spoke great English and booked us a restaurant for Saturday night which was really helpful. We paid £100 a night bed and breakfast. For the size of the room we had, location, breakfast and service this hotel was good value for money.

2  Thank Clarksboy
Reviewed 24 May 2014

A nice hotel with great furnishings and comfortable beds.

The breakfast was also good here.

The hotel has a feudal architecture to it. Some of the large wooden entrance doors are Gothic shaped and therefore this isn't your regular shake and bake style that is so common everywhere. This hotel has character in a good way.

It's also close to most of the downtown areas where tourists like to walk to. The desk staff are glad to answer any questions that you may have about Helsinki.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Seven of us stayed here. We all seemed to get different sized rooms, some with baths and others just with showers. My room was generally cold throughout our stay. The heating was provided by a solitary radiator behind a heavy curtain but which was turned off centrally. The bathroom had no heating at all so was generally cold. The decor of the room was not welcoming being an abundance of black and dark purple. So, I didn't like my room.

What about the rest of the hotel? Breakfast was a good range of typically Finnish food served in a vaulted cellar. It was nice and we were free to take our time.

The entrance lobby, which doubled up as the hotel's bar, was quite impressive having been built in the style of an old vaulted castle. However, this was an illusion as the place was purpose built as a students' union in 1903. It was pleasant, nonetheless, and the drinks were reasonably priced for Helsinki.

The other good thing about the hotel was that it was reasonably centrally located being not too far from the city centre. It was also a good price. By booking through Expedia we got our rooms at far less than the amounts requested on the hotel's own web site.

We'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank kenc
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I spent 3 nights in room 232 May 4-6, 2014. The room had nice things, but it was crowded. I should have learned about "art" hotels from experience. I'm glad I wasn't sharing this room with anyone I'm not intimate with, given that the shower has a glass wall displaying the person in the shower to anyone in the room. By the third day, I'd figured out how not to flood the whole bathroom floor by taking a shower. They have a peculiar linear shower drain that runs from inside the shower clear over to the other side of the bathroom. I found that if I had the shower running as hard as I liked it, the water came up out of the drain in the part of the bathroom that I would prefer to keep dry. Then there's also the placebo thermostat in the room. I got hot in bed every night as the room temp showing on the thermostat never got down as low as I set it. Not even close. The windows don't open, so that's not an option. The bed uses what I call the German model: no top sheet to pull over you, just a duvet. If you're too hot, just sleep uncovered I guess is the hotel's recipe for comfort. The office sent me a message through the TV, which I attempted to retrieve, but couldn't figure out how to enter my room number into the screen. I picked up the phone to call the office, but the phone was dead and stayed that way all 3 days. The lighting in the room looks nice, but it's a bit complicated. It took a while to figure out that the power point (electric outlet) the floor lamp was plugged into was controlled by the same light switch which turned on the lighting that came out from under the bed. And then there was the bathroom lighting...I personally like to see my face in the bathroom mirror when I shave, but the toilet was better illuminated. They had light coming from behind the mirror, which was cute, but some in front of it would have been a plus. I didn't seem to be affected all that much by the stairway that's on the other side of the wall from my head, when I lay in bed. The sound of every person stepping on each step came right through the wall. Not sure how I slept through that, but maybe it was because I wasn't sleeping well there anyway.

I did like the location, the breakfast, and the cool old building the hotel is in. Staff were always friendly and tried to be helpful. I guess I was expecting more from the room for US$167 a night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank TrentSh
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The Glo Hotel Art is really great, the room is clean and spacy. The breakfast is absolutely great, lots of choices. The pillow selection is very good, they have different kinds of pillows for different tastes:) highly recommend this great hotel.