“Very good charming hotel, but a bit far from the centre”
Review of GLO Hotel Art

GLO Hotel Art
Ranked #27 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I was told that the standard rooms are too small, but i had the comfort room and it was nice. The breakfast is delicious with reasonably good choice of food, very good coffee. Water bottle in the room costs 3 eur but one bottle was provided complimentary. There is approx 30 min walk to the centre. Check out 1pm upon request free of charge. There is very good traditional Lappish restaurant Saaga 3 min walk from the hoteĺ - recommended.

Room Tip: Comfort room is much bigger
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,721)

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Having checked out a lot of hotels for a short trip to Helsinki we decided to stay in the glo art which looked lovely which in fairness it is, the reception area looks great if not a little dark. The staff are great can't fault them at all helpful, polite and always had the answer to my questions. They even had a travel adaptor for the plugs as I had forgotten mine saving me from buying a new one.
The room was called a smart room which is the smallest room available and boy does it mean small. There is just enough room to get around the bed to get to the other side as I was sharing with my partner. The bathroom although small was great the shower is fantastic possibly one of the best I've used in a hotel.
Now for the negatives there aren't many but they are deal breakers for me, firstly there is very limited storage space we were attending a wedding and the place to hang our outfits(refuse to use the word wardrobe for this) just fit my suit and my partners dress. The rest of our things went on the couple of shelves provided but it's very limited. Then came the bed we had an electric adjustable bed but only my partners side worked and they are just not the most comfortable. The worst part of the visit were the pillows, I can't describe how uncomfortable they are the second your head hits them it ends up wrapped around your ears after a long flight and a long day we both slept with these waking up to a sore neck, the next evening we requested a harder pillow from the pillow menu provided, after the lady went to check we were told that there were non available and she could go and look for some for us but we declined not wanting to put her out as she was on her own, so again we had a poor nights sleep. The next day i again asked for a harder pillow and they said housekeeping would bring us a couple up whilst we were out, upon our return there were two pillows each but unfortunately they were two soft pillows. It may sound like a small thing but when your paying for somewhere to sleep you'd expect the bed and pillows to be the main thing they prioritize.
Finally is the cost of alcohol in the hotel bar just like Helsinki itself its very very expensive a beer and a spirt with a mixer cost 28 euros that's roughly £24/25 not the cheapest round of drinks but as I say Helsinki is generally expensive in itself for example in the UK a subway comprising of 2 foot longs and 2 bottles of sprite cost around £12 in Helsinki its 25 euro almost double.
Overall I'd say the hotel was good if they improved the bed or even just the pillows if would be great.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Glo Art Hotel is a nice little boutique hotel situated a 5 minute walke away from Helsinki Train station. The rooms are bright, modern and functional with everything done with typical Scandinavian style.

Good value with friendly staff and not overly expensive.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The hotel was used for the final two nights by a tour group I joined. I planned on staying extra nights in Helsinki and decided to stick with GLO Hotel Art after seeing the photos on the web. It looked gorgeous. However, after one night, I wished I chose another hotel. It ended up being one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in in terms of service and the design of building itself.

The hotel is located in a quiet street, about ten minutes walk to the main strip where the trams, restaurants, shopping are located. There are more central hotels (including another GLO Hotel) but GLO Hotel Art's location was good. A supermarket and an ATM machine is a block away. There are several boutique shops, restaurants and cafes nearby including a very nice Thai restaurant within a stone's throw away.

The room looked clean.

Lobby: I found it pretty but it was too dark and uncomfortably warm.

Room: Stayed in room 103, ground floor, next to vegetable garden and across the courtyard. At first glance, the room looked great. It's after the first night that I reliazed there was something not quite right with the design. For one, it was too dark. Apart from the well lit bathroom and small entrance hall, there are four light sources in the room - two beside the beds (good for reading in bed), a desktop lamp (only lights an area of inches at its base i.e. useless) and a floor lamp (albeit bright, is in one corner of the room. And yes, it was moved around to provide light wherever it is needed.).

With dark furniture, I found it very hard to find anything in the room unless the curtains are pulled apart and natural light floods the room. I once misplaced my brush and had to wait until morning to look for it. It was so frustrating.

There was a safe which was great however, since the room was very dark, it was kind of hard to see the keypad. Since the desk lamp was useless, I used my phone's flashlight to direct some light on it.

It was uncomfortable. I understand that AC is not common in Scandinavia and there was an unexpected heatwave when I was there but the room was still uncomfortbly warm. I couldn't rest in the room. The orientation perhaps? I had to borrow a fan to help cool down. It seems other guests were doing the same.

It seems the hotel charges for services and items which were free in all the other hotels I've stayed in in Scandinavia - WiFi, breakfast menu items, amenities. They also charge late check-outs. I was half-expecting them to charge me for borrowing the fan. Thankfully they didn't.

On my first day. while standing in a queue, the couple in front me was borrowing an adapter. They didn't seem to speak fluent English so the lady at reception was trying hard to explain to them they can have the adapter, rather than borrow it, for x Euros because "it's easier". It was a bad sign.

The buffet had a very small selection of food. They had the usual cereal, bread, yoghurt, etc but the only hot items were scrambled eggs and sausages. There were menus on the tables and I found other hot foods need to be paid for.

I was truly disappointed with GLO Hotel Art. I really wanted to like it but my stay there became memorable for the wrong reasons. I will neither stay with them again nor recommend them to others unless they change their policies (at the very least).

Room Tip: If travelling in summer, don't take a ground floor room. You will need to open windows and may n...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is very well located in the city centre. The hotel itself is a mixture of old and new, with an old-world lobby but very modern, hi-tech rooms — especially the beds. Our room was a mile away from the lobby, at the end of a long corridor with lifts and stairs. The WiFi was excellent (even in our room miles away from reception). Overall it was a very good hotel choice for us

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is unique, built in and around a historic city castle. Perfect location for sight seeing, almost everything in walking distance, and the tram just around the corner.
The rooms, however, are sleek, modern, and comfortable with amazing beds, walk-in rain showers, and large LED TV.
Breakfast is comprehensive, with eggs, sausage, fresh veggies, home made jams, pastries, etc etc
Service, at the reception, bar, and breakfast, is super friendly and efficient (as I have experienced all over Helsinki).
My only downside was the ineffective air-conditioning, as I was lucky to visit during an exceptional warm period, the room was unpleasantly warm over night. If it hadn't been for the lovely ladies at the reception, I might have been grumpy, but they didn't give me a chance to fret ;)

If I go back to Helsinki, Glo Art is on top of my list for hotels!

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Saluki_DXB
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel while vacationing in Helsinki. Location, breakfast, staff were all great. Room was fresh and comfortable...but a bit stuffy. During our visit, city was experiencing very hot temps. Probably why AC in room couldn't cool it down. Still, we strongly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Tina_Kaikkonen, Guest Relations at GLO Hotel Art, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Hi SouixC!

Thank you for your kind words. We are thrilled to know that you had good times with us and are honored to read that you are recommending our property! You´re right that it has been quite exceptionally warm days in Helsinki for the past weeks, but definitely we do all we can to keep the comfort level of our guest rooms as high as possible despite the temperature outside. Welcome back someday!

Enjoy your end of summer!

Behalf of GLO Art staff,