“Lovely hotel, great service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of GLO Hotel Art

GLO Hotel Art
Ranked #18 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, great service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2009

We stayed only one night in the hotel. It looks really lovely from the outside and the inside, and the staff were very helpful and friendly and we even got coffee, tea and a sandwich for breakfast at 6.30 in the morning, cos we had to take a train. There is also a computer for customers to use the internet for free, which is really nice.

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank Monica15

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brighton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2009

Great breakfast. Staff were very helpful. We had the only room in the 'castle' part of the hotel so had no problems with noise - only downside was that we had to get the service lift but that wasn't really a problem. Room was lovely and particularly liked the moomin pillows and that you could request a number of items free of charge from reception that even included 'a selection of short stories'. I liked these extra touches!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LadyRoxalana
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2009

Hotel consists of a really nice building, which houses reception, lounge, breakfast room and meeting rooms, and the actual accomodation block to the rear.

Hotel staff are very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast is adequate at most, with all the basics (except eggs!). Free internet access if using the lounge pc.

Biggest problem is that the accomodation block appears to have a lack of noise insulation. I'm not a light sleeper but was woken severeal times at night by goings-on in other adjacent rooms and the closing of doors to each floor.

Hotel does not have an evening restaurant, but there's a decent one just across the road to the left (on a corner).

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank UKSanT
Greater London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2009

We stayed here for two nights over midsummer for a wedding. We booked directly, and had a lovely stay. the blackout style curtains, essential for a city where at midsummer the sun doesn´t really set were great for our inevitable post wedding hangovers. We were very fortunate to be given / upgraded to the tower room in the old castle building. Until I read the reviews here I was unaware that there was another building. Therefore I would suggest you are certain which room or at least building youi are getting. The room was small (but this is a European capital and I never really expect huge) but had everything we needed. and felt pretty special. Breakfast was included and was in a lovely cellar room at the bottom of the hotel, extensive food - we filled up for a good while.
It wasn´t the most cental of hotels but was close enough, and the price was higher than I wanted - we spent 2 nights here and 2 at the Holiday Inn because we couldn´t afford this one and yes this was better but twice the price...
Reception staff were polite and efficient.

Overall we loved it, but we might have been lucky. I am not sure I would say this is a business hotel, it is a bit small and boutique like (although did have a lounge with internet) but it is not a room service, spa, gym Marriott style place. Perfect place for a weekend break. We did not eat dinner here, there are so many good restaurants in the city it never occured to us to have dinner there.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kathy T
Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2008

I stayed at Hotel Linna in October 2008 for just two nights while in Helsinki on business. The not so great: I arrived extremely late from the airport on the first night (around 1am), and was starving (no food on the flight from the UK). I was less than delighted to discover that not only was there no 24-hour room service, there wasn't even a vending machine where I could assuage my hunger with some type of snack. When I asked the front desk staff for help with getting some food, they brought out a map of the surrounding streets and showed me which bars/restaurants were still open. Very helpful. I thoroughly enjoyed wandering around strange streets in an unfamiliar city, alone, in the rain, after 1am in the morning, in a fruitless quest for food.

The room: No one bothered to tell me that you had to insert your key card into a slot on the wall in order to turn on any of the lights. A small annoyance, but stumbling around for 5 minutes in the dark trying to figure out how the heck to turn on the lights was no fun, and could easily have been avoided. The room was tiny--nothing like the pictures you see on the web site. But the small bed was comfortable, and the television brought in a BBC news channel in English, so that was nice. I was woken up in the middle of the night on my second night there with the phone ringing--every time I answered it there was no one on the line. When I called the front desk, they insisted that they had sent no calls through to my room, even though they had told me earlier that all calls to the hotel had to be routed through the front desk. Again, not a huge problem, but having your sleep disrupted needlessly is not what you expect at a "nice" hotel.

Food and drink: outrageously priced. I advise you to do your eating and drinking elsewhere in Helsinki. For dinner one night, with wine, I paid what I would usually pay for two people, including cocktails. But the included breakfast is quite good, I enjoyed the convenience of eating at the hotel, and the setting (down in the cellar) was interesting.

Bottom line: hotel is overpriced for what it is, but nice and clean, with comfortable beds. My room was small, and for people traveling on business, who are often on tight schedules (and pretty tired by the end of the day), the lack of room service at off-hours is a disappointment. There wasn't much in the way of "little extras." If you can book a good rate, aren't fussed about room service, and plan to do most of your eating elsewhere, this hotel is probably fine for you. If you're a non-smoker, you'll be happy: no smoking anywhere in the hotel, including any of the rooms.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Food - expensive and room service lacking
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Exp8tri8
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2008

I had a business trip to Helsinki in the middle of September and decided to stay in Hotel Linna.

I'm not gonna saying that I was excited. The worst thing was to get up really early because of the noise of the water which was switched on in the neighbor rooms.

The room itself is very simple. I've stayed in 4 stars hotel where the rooms were much more cozy and nice.

The location of the hotel is pretty good. If you turn to the left and go straight forward you'll reach Mannerheim street with main shops in the city in about 5-10 minutes.

I can say that there are better hotels in Helsinki for the price I've pai for Hotel Linna, so I'm not going to stay there next time.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Noises from neigbor rooms in the early morning
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank from_moscow
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2008

Yes, the rooms are small and they are not at all located in the same building as the castle you see pictured on the website or in the photo above. In fact, while we were there in August, the only room open in the main building was the cellar, which is used for breakfast. Which was great--the breakfast room and the breakfast served there--but I wanted to see the rest of the "castle", especially considering that the building in which the guest rooms are located is so basic and charmless.

We had internet, we had parking, we had comfortable beds and we slept well. We liked the location, and we liked the whole experience so much that we even came back and stayed here at the end of our Finnish sojourn. Staff are great, generous and capable.

• Liked — Quirky architectural details
  • Disliked — the castle was closed!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple