“full of history”

Solo Sokos Hotel Torni
Ranked #15 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Visited Helsinki for the ice hockey world cup gold and bronze games, stayed one night. Did not notice anything special, quality is normal for 3-4 star hotel. The only and main thing I noticed is the old historical building both from outside and inside - full of historical spirit, and mantained in a good condition. My room was on the first floor, with no view, but very big and styled as antiquity.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 August 2012

The pictures and descriptions of the Torni gave me high expectations which were not met in any way. I get the sense that this famous hotel is resting on its laurels somewhat, which is a shame. Our double room was furnished with one chair. The shower room was pleasant though. Breakfast was plentiful if some of the quality was not great and you needed to be there really early to get the full choice as some items were not replenished. Other reviews for Torni are generally good so perhaps things just weren't up to scratch during our visit. Location is fantastic but there is no shortage of alternative options which I would turn to when returning to Helsinki.

Room Tip: Check you're away from the building's noisy A/C outlets.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 66ric
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Torni is only hotel I booked twice during mu life. I just like the style of this building and the site. First time I was here with my daughter (Dec 2008). We were given huge and lovely art deco style room (despite we booked with 50% discount). It was very cold and dark winter time. But I still remember warm feeling and overview to Helsinki, sipping a glass of extremely expensive wine at Torni tower bar. One of the best public views you can have at Helsinki...
Second time I was here with my husband (June 2011). We got tiny room with white furniture somewhere close to the top floor. It was cool summer day - I remember chilly feeling while looking at magnificent view to Helsinki from tower bar again. Only drawback was a lot of drunken Finnish people around (But no wonder during Midsummer Day...).
Anyway, Torni's morning buffet is good and the location is perfect to look around in order to enjoy the art deco style buildings around.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank qnne
Reviewed 3 August 2012

The view of the Helsinki bay from the top floor bar is amazing, the best mojitos I have tried, jeje, in Finland!!! and a historical place in the heart of this unique city.Good to know that this building was headquarter for the nazis in the WW II because of its location. Do not forget to visit the white Cathedral a must....

Room Tip: Try to get the highest floor for the view
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The hotel is located in the heart of Helsinki, you can´t get lost because it is the tallest building around.
Our room was modern and cosy and the building is quite interesting with a mix of old and modern decoration. The elevator in front of the reception is worth a visit. But the best of this hotel awaits in the upper floor: after climbing some spiral stairs you can find a pub where you can have a "mojito" with the best views of the city!
The only defect I found was that the reception was always busy many people.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I stayed at Torni with my 4yo daughter and first impressions were that the reception area was nowhere as grand as the photos on the website make it look, a facelift is needed. I chose this hotel for its location and also having visited the roof top bar before, which is excellent and a real experience, I expected a lot from this hotel. The room was very stylish and had enough room for a king sized bed and a double sofa bed but the bathroom was tiny, extra points for a proper hair dryer though. Unfortunately the room was baking hot and the air conditioning did nothing so opened the window and found the previous guests' dirty nappy on the windowsill. It was promptly removed when mentioned to the staff.

The restaurant downstairs deserves a mention - it is posh and grown up with a very simple menu but the food is delicious and service was excellent. They offer the best in season and although they do not have a children's menu, my daughter had "the best fish ever" (her words) which we were not charged for as we were guests. I also liked the fact my daughter was treated like a guest in her own right. I had the steak which itself was only ok but the presentation and the little extras were great.

Breakfast was also very good - the staff were attentive and cleared up quicker than I have seen in any hotel in Finland. The offering was typical fare with the welcome addition of grilled bacon. Breads were very good, cold meats also, still find the cakes and biscuits disturbing at breakfast time but not this hotel's fault. The atmosphere in the breakfast room was calm and friendly, nicer than I have experienced in a lot of Finnish hotels.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We stayed at Torni for one night in June 2012 and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is located only steps from the main attractions. Rooms are small, but very clean and quiet. Breakfast was tasty and the staff great. I would definately stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple