“Excellent quality in the heart of the city”

Solo Sokos Hotel Torni
Ranked #15 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Room was comfortable and clean, also bathroom was stylish and well cleaned. Toiletries were a good quality. Breakfast was great with huge selection of cooked and cold buffe, you can even choose coffee with light or dark roast. Bar at the top of the building in 14th floor is worth of visit, got fantastic photos from the roof terrace. Hotel is located just off the main street neat shopping amenities, restaurants and bars, trams and on walking distance of the main railway station.

Room Tip: Stayed in 2nd floor, if you want a view just request room at the higher floors. Just read other pers...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Arrived at 1130 pm, only 1 girl on the desk, I was 5th in the queue, which although is not a huge deal was a pain after a whole day of travelling on train, plane, coach then a 10 minute uphill walk dragging a suitcase from the central station. Room was small, well furnished and the bathroom was good in all aspects. The bar on the 12th floor was a 3 out of ten. Poorly designed, poorly furnished with poor views. The guy working the bar was good and attentive.The prices were normal Scandinavian. Breakfast was excellent; superb range and superb quality with superb service. Check out was quick and easy but still only 1 girl on the desk. I'll go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Having the experience that the rooms are very different I made a reservation for a renovated room. What I got was an old room with worn out furniture and a terrible bed. The shower gel and shampoo were out and the temperature in the room was very hot without the possibility to adjust.
Never again

Room Tip: Accept only rooms on the higher floors
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank dorieks
Torni-Management, Front Office Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Torni, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Mrs!

I'm so sorry to hear that you were dissappointed to the room. We have two different style rooms, art deco (modern) and jugend (romantic). Both style rooms are renovated at the same time, 2006. I wish you would have contacted the reception so that we could have changed the room for you. We are here 24/7 at your service so also providing more shower gel and shampoo would have been possible. The temperature in our rooms can be adjusted with +-2 degrees from the room.

Despite of this unpleasant stay, I hope one day maybe to see you again in our hotel! I also want to apologize for this late answer to your feedback.

With best regards,

Elina Salo
Solo Supervisor
Solo Sokos Hotel Torni

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed here 5 nights during our trip to Finland. The staff was excellent, the breakfast was great as well. The room we got was a bit pricey, but worth it and it had a small balcony with a view. The only downside was the fire alarm when off once that prevented us from getting to our room for almost an hour, and then the next night it went off while we were asleep and I couldn't get back to sleep. The staff was apologetic, but it didn't give us a total confidence of true concern. The rooftop bar does have an incredible view, and the location within the city is one of the best. Therefore, I would consider staying here again, but I can't give it a 5-star rating. When spending that much money, you shouldn't have an alarm go off twice for the same reason on consecutive days, and you should be able to guarantee a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Torni-Management, Front Office Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Torni, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear George M,

Thank you for your visit to Solo Sokos Hotel Torni. I was so happy to read that you pointed out those two important elements of Solo hotels - service and breakfast. Since starting as a Solo hotel (sub brand of Sokos Hotels) we have continuously received positive feedback about our smiling, friendly and service oriented staff. In Solo breakfast you can enjoy the fresh products and the coffee/tea will be served to the our guests. Our bread for example comes from the bakery about 30 meters from the hotel where our breakfast chef picks it up every morning. Local food indeed!

Please accept my sincere apologies about the false alarms. It is true that we had some issues with our sprinkler system which caused the fire alarms. The sprinkler system has been repaired, of course, and our guests can sleep without any worries about the safety.

I wish you a great winter time and hope to see you back in Solo Sokos Hotel Torni in future, too.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2014!

Reviewed 6 December 2013

The hotel was perfectly located close to the train station. It's a quaint, charming property with a lovely rooftop view of the city. Choose an art deco room which is updated and newly renovated. I requested a wake up call so I could walk to the train station and catch the 500am FinnAir bus to the airport. I did not get the call as requested, however, I had my own alarm as a backup. I told the front desk agent that I was leaving at 445am and would miss breakfast. She assured me they would make arrangements to have some food in the lobby area. That did not happen. Coffee wasn't made and the early morning front desk agent said he would make it, however, I had to leave. It seemed like a very busy hotel. Overall, it was adequate but not outstanding.

Room Tip: Request art deco room. Shower was very nice.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear MKK10,

Thank you for your visit to Solo Sokos Hotel Torni and your valuable review on TripAdvisor. I am happy that you found our hotel in great location in city center with easy access to the train station. Our rooms, both Art deco and Jugend ones, are renovated few years ago.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the missed wake-up call as well as the early morning breakfast. I would be happy if you could contact me in person (markus.siitonen@sok.fi) about this our unfortunate mistake.

I hope that otherwise your stay in Solo Sokos Hotel Torni and Helsinki was enjoyable. We all wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2014.

Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

There is not much you could criticise this hotel for. The Atellier bar has best views in town though prices of drinks match the height of the tower.
Rooms are spacious and comfortable and staff very friendly and helpful. Magnificent breakfast.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Torni-Management, Front Office Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Torni, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Greenlantern1571,

Thank you for your wonderful review about Solo Sokos Hotel Torni. I am really happy that you found our centrally located hotel comfortable for your business trip. Torni was the first skyscraper in Helsinki and it is still one of the tallest buildings in the city - the only one with the famous Atelier Bar! Thank you for your visit and we all hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I made a short stop in Helsinki en-route from Japan to start journey in Europe. The hotel is relatively situated in a short distance (airport taxi of Euro 29.5) from the airport, and in the centre of the city. Many restaurants and bars are there, but the hotel provides one of the famous roof-top bar, overviewing the whole city. I did not try but the restaurant also look nice. Breakfast was good, and actually the coffee was excellent. The room features, in my case single room were very functional with high-tech phone. I recommend this hotel definitely those who visits on business / solo tourist.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Torni-Management, Front Office Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Torni, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear toshio2,

Thank you for stopping by in Solo Sokos Hotel Torni and Helsinki when starting your trip in Europe. We are very happy about your nice review here on TripAdvisor. Our great location in the city center offers an excellent base when you want to explore the best tourist attractions, restaurants and bars. All within walking distance. Thank you for visiting our roof-top bar as well, Atelier Bar on the 14th floor with a nice view. Hopefully you got some wonderful pictures from there as well.

Thank you for complimenting our breakfast and the coffee. There are both dark Parisienne and lighter local filter coffee available and served to the tables in our breakfast buffet.

Once again thank you for your recommendation and I wish you a nice and a joyful trip in Europe. If you wish to visit Torni again on your way back to your home country, we are more than happy to welcome you back.

Yours sincerely,